This hotel is no longer part of the IHG family...now what?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by jaw_24, Jul 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Received a call and e-mail that an award night reservation for the Holiday Inn Lubbock Park Plaza will not be honored because they are no longer part of the IHG family :(. Options that I have been given are:

We will make every effort to arrange alternate accommodations for you at a nearby IHG property where you may continue to use your IHG Rewards Club Points. If you wish, you may retain your existing reservation, pay for your stay, and have your points returned to your account for use at a later date. If you decide to cancel your reservation, or if a Reward Night is not available at a nearby IHG property, we will immediately return your points to your account.
    Now, my problem is that this is on a sold out weekend (FB game), and there aren't any award nights left, cash rates are astronomical for the area, and only available for 2 night stays (why I used points). From the text, it sounds like they won't just let me go to another property for no additional charge.

Since I have a guaranteed reservation, what are my rights to request another property without paying out of pocket? Are points reservations treated the same as cash in this regard, or can they simply back out and say no?

daninstl likes this.
  2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Id call IHG customer service, but I dont know what else they will be able to do. Probably not much as the hotel is no longer in their program. Sorry to say, but I think you are left with the options outlined in the email.

daninstl likes this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 on calling IHG customer service. If your Platinum I would start with that customer service group and insist. Most likely they have some room at one of the other hotels in the area.