Third airport for Toronto

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by canucklehead, Jul 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Federal government / Transport Canada report suggests building an additional airport at Pickering as it predicts Pearson will be near capacity in 16-26 yrs.

G&M article:

"A Transport Canada study released Monday found that the Greater Golden Horseshoe – a sprawling conurbation centred on Toronto – will likely require another airport in 16 to 26 years’ time and determined a rural site 50 kilometres northeast of Toronto in Pickering, Ont., would be a good fit."...

unclepants and 2MM_Guy like this.
  2. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back to the future!

There would be an obvious bias to the Pickering site as the feds already own the property, but it seems to me the population growth in the GTA has been west of the city, not east. With almost two million people between Hamilton and the City of Toronto border versus less than half a million east of the City, Pickering doesn't make much sense other than finding enough land west of the existing airport, close enough to the City, would be pretty difficult and expensive. However, I don't expect to be doing much flying by the time this one is up and running, so shan't worry about how to get out to it on the TTC!

3. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    But surely "if you build it, they will come" right? Perhaps an airport will be just the appropriate pork barrel project that will stimulate population growth east of the city?

I think it would be hilarious if, out of spite, the provincial government declared all the land surrounding the airport as protected environmental grounds, like the Oak Ridges Moraine (or whatever it's called).

4. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Toronto and vicinity need another airport the same way that KIX needs a third runway!

milchap likes this.
  5. They didn't say they neeed it today. The population of greater toronto is expected to be over 12mm people in the coming decades spread out from Hamilton to Whitby. Toronto is a hub airport for all the other smaller communities around Ontario and is the international gateway. That's why we need it eventually. Some facts are relevant.

6. Why do we need to grow the area? Isn't there enough people here? Can't we just service that and agree not to expand?

milestoburn likes this.
  7. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, june 24, FT time 1:12pm....BEST POST EVER!! i have a screen shot if you want it for posterity. every day when i see a thread disappear, i open it up to check your location of that particular day.

we probably do need to grow generally in canada in light of our pretty low birth rate.

8. 2MM_Guy
    Original Member

2MM_Guy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then we would end up with a lot of "old" people.

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Canada and Australia are the best situated countries at the moment to be able to support their public pension plans since the two countries off set low natural birth rates with high immigration. Europe and Japan cannot sustain their programs in the future because they are aging and there will not be enough working aged people to pay the bills.

Back to the subject at hand, I suspect YYZ will be able to operate well into this century and can accommodate a third terminal. With even quieter jet engines, longer operating hours will become practical. But YTZ can take a lot of pressure off triangle traffic and it is inevitable that Hamilton will continue to absorb some direct flights to many more parts of Canada, thus reducing demand ex-YYZ from travellers west of the city. YYZ will be like LHR and go on forever being the major Canadian airport.

10. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still remember when Buttonville had commercial service via Bearskin. I really don't see Toronto adding a pickering airport. It adds little and AC will not want a split operation. Better transportation options to BUF would probably be a better use of money.

11. Hamilton :) slap in another runway. but since we have the land in Pickering lets keep it one day we might need it.

12. A terminal or a new pod to replace T2 is part of expansion plans for YYZ. However, the traffic situation into YYZ is almost stifling and without an area wide Rapid transit system into Pearson it is doomed to overcrowding on the roads. The highway system cannot be expanded much more around the airport.

Down the road, if anyone in government has any foresight a new airport should be planned with rpaid transit mandatory between the the two. I also beleive that if there was good public transportation between Hamilton and YYZ that would alleviate both ground and ailrine traffic at YYZ. Hamilton could be a good regional airport as can be KW.
    There needs to eventually be an airport east of the City or the Peel and Halton regions will become way too overcrowded. Growth of the GTA needs to be spread out a little more evenly IMO and right now the eastern parts of the area through to Coburg are unerserviced.

You inner city types seem to forget there are people w/o sufficient public transportation outside the core. Rob Ford however seems bent on making sure you will suffer along with the rest of us.

13. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOL we live in canada, we dont seem to agree on anything....then each govt has a different agenda from another..... first we went liberals, then conservatives....whats next? Ndp?

this is just like the VIA Rail high speed train study.........by the time its completed we'd all be long gone..... 6 feet under!

14. AC_Flyer

AC_Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Currently we have no Rapid system to either YYZ, YHM or YKF. With regards to YKF, I know they don't have public transit system to YKF from Kitchener, Watero or Cambridge.... I am not sure about YHM

At the rate we are going, I am sure Pickering will be built with no plans for Transit or Rapid Transit once it gets built.

Although, I live West of the City (5 km East of YKF) I still prefer driving 45 mins into YYZ for connections. I have never found convenient flights from YHM or YKF for my travel destinations.

I do think the Easter GTA is very badly underserviced when it comes to Comerical Aviation.

15. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, they if you build it they will come mentality worked our for Mirabel Airport in Quebec: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirabel_Airport

Originally designed to the largest (in square surface) airport in the world with 6 runways and 6 terminals, over 95,000 acres of land was expropriated for the airport, highways and train stations. Much of it to be sold back to the original owners when it all flopped and passenger service was moved back to YUL.

Since then there has been talk of turning it into a theme park, or a race track. Despite its huge size all it handles now is commercial traffic and it was originally expected to handle 17 million passengers a year. In the end, building it in the middle of nowhere, with no easy high speed access to it didn't exactly pan out. Its the elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about, but as it was paid with tax payer money, it doesn't really matter if they built it and no one came.

16. the roads were never built because separtist quebec governments that followed the opening of Mirabel basically spit on it and would do nothing to serve a federal facility while in power. There are all sorts of roads heading towards Mirabel but none of them were ever finished.

17. I have the screen shot. I may make it my avatar here. ;)

milestoburn likes this.
  18. No.. I'm not saying not allow a decent birthrate, I am saying a city of 2-3 million with another million in a surrounding area, with lots of green space ect.. is enough.. There is enough traffic, there is enough pollution ect..
    We don't need to make Hong Kong in Ontario.

19. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    thats where the government makes $$$$....death & taxes

20. Mirabel was just a stupid Liberal waste of money. Thank god the province didn't waste even more money spending money to an airport that was not needed. Obviously Pickering will be needed at some point, lets hope it will be connected with high speed rail.

21. AC_Flyer

AC_Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. The car culture is now not just outside Toronto. It has now expanded into the City of Toronto. This has a lot to do with the lack of alternatives when it comes to transportation. The Car is the king in Toronto and the sorrunding Area. And I do not see that changing, with all forms of Government basically paralysed to implement a viable Transportation Plan for the whole GTA Region.

22. Its $$$$$$$$$ there is no money for transit in Ontario till we can get rid of the current Liberals. At least Mayor Ford had the sense to bury the Eglington LRT, The Miller NDP and fools at Queen"s Park were going to make it above ground nightmare. Toronto needs $billion in new money to start construction. Perhaps we should admit defeat and just hire the Chinese to come build the new system. China now has the expertise to do this and the technology. For sure any new Pickering airport should not be built without a HIGH speed connection to YYZ!

23. We had no money left after Harris and his cronies screwed up the Ontario economy. We are still paying for those follies including his gift of the 407 to the private consortium.
    Burying any transit system costs much more than A/G(the GO system should be U/G using your logic) and after Ford's so called cost cutting venture TO will be like a third world country city.

The guy cheats on his own expense reporting so we know he can't even count.

24. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    So how does that statement jive with your demand that any new airport (as well as Hamilton) be served with better rapid transit? The rail link to Pearson will really only serve us inner city types since the only other station is now likely to be on Weston Road. And I predict it will be a bust because of the pricing. I certainly won't pay $20 to get from Union Station to YYZ in 20-minutes (very often) when I can do it by bus, subway and streetcar for $2.50 in an hour. (Not to mention that the Eglinton LRT is supposed to also go to YYZ.)

why fly likes this.