Thinking of travelling to Kuala lumpur,looking for hotel recommendation

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Jazzsadana, May 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Jazzsadana

Jazzsadana Active Member

Status Points:
    I am looking to get hotel booked for me and my wife in Kuala lumpur and i am just confused to get which of the two
    1. Doubletree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur{for 10k hilton points,this looks one hell of a deal}
    2. JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur {I could use my category 4 certificates here,though i would prefer using them at JW marriott beijing,which i will be travelling after kuala lumpur}

How is the location of both the hotels compared to each other ?
    and how much would be general time u guys think i should spend in kuala lumpur to go about seeing it
    Also,is there a good chance of getting upgraded to a higher room being a HILTON GOLD in doubletree,any experiences on the same would really help.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not know about the Marriott KL but I stayed at DT KL just after it opened 2-3 years ago. That means it is still fairly new, and I did like the property a lot, not only because I had stayed in a pristine suite, but also because it was just a 5-10 min cab ride away from the "action".

Muerl and jbcarioca like this.
  3. roadweary

roadweary Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about the Doubletree or the JW but I had a great experience last year at the Hilton Kuala Lumpur. They upgraded me to a massive suite (even by Asian standards) without me even prompting. This wasn't an award stay for me and I'm Diamond, so I can't predict if you would have the same success. Also, the exec. lounge was one of the best that I have encountered (and I stay at a ton of international Hiltons). Great location right next to Sentral train station so you can take the express train directly to/from the airport. Nice pool, gym, and if you like nightlife, Zeta Bar is one of the best in the city. Have fun!

NYCUA1K and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The JW Marriott is on Bukit Bintang across the street from Pavilion Shopping Center with many restaurants and in the midst of the action in the evenings along Bukit Bintang. The location is as good as it gets for tourism. I normally stay in Bukit Bintang.

The Hilton, mentioned by roadweary is located in the central train station complex and is a cab ride or train ride from everywhere. Le Meridien is an exact twin of the Hilton located right beside it. Both are very nice properties if you do not mind short rides to get anywhere other than a host on Indian restaurants nearby. Of course you're right on top of the express train to KUL.

The Doubletree is in Intermark Centre just near the Petronas Twin Towers. It has some appeal because of the shops, supermarkets and restaurants in the twin towers which are mostly occupied by locals.

Both of the Hotels you mention are good choices, but I'd personally stay at the J W Marriott.

Two full days is probably quite enough to see all you probably want to in Kuala Lumpur. There is a tourist circulating bus taht is a very good way to learn about all the major areas. Depending on your interests those of us who have lived and/or travelled there often can give more specific advice. I have never lived there but I worked there for six months last year and my closest friends live there so I visit often.

Jazzsadana and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the Hilton sounding so good, I wondered why I chose the DT instead. The map shows why. The DT [A] is more centrally located than the Hilton (B) . Selected directions to some Twin Tower-related sites and to the very popular Beach Bar [C] (entire street had several others within yards of each other to rival the Zeta Bar), showed them all to be closer to the DT, which I would still pick if or when I return there.

KL-MAP.png

jbcarioca and Jazzsadana like this.
  6. Jazzsadana

Jazzsadana Active Member

Status Points:
    With DT being right next to the Petronas towers and its related sites,i was very much inclined to go for the same myself,but the only thing that was stopping me was the SUPER REVIEWS I HAVE READ from multiple people who have stayed at JW marriott Kuala lumpur.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Jazzsadana

Jazzsadana Active Member

Status Points:
    I havent been to Kuala lumpur as of yet and couldnt differentiate a better location out of JW marriott or DT,with DT being right next to the Twin towers.and BTW,do u think two days would be more then enough
    I was thinking of more like 5 days/nights to cover Kuala lumpur and nearby sites.
    Would it be possible to visit Genting Highlands in one full day,leaving early morning and coming back to Doubletree itself to stay at night{It seems only abt 35 miles from the hotel to genting highlands}.
    Also,any closer day trip attractions from Kuala lumpur ?

jbcarioca and NYCUA1K like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in KL for 2-3 days simply to enjoy the festivities of year-end 2011. I went there because I had planned to be in Singapore on New Year day, and then I realized that KL was just 45 min away, so I redeemed on SQ to do a quick hop and back. My agenda in KL was simply to see the main attraction sites within the city by day and to hit the bar scene by night, so 2-3 days were perfect.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a few day or near day trips from KL. Genting Highlands is easily doable in a day and is any easy drive in a rental car. A GPS is useful once you leave major roads. I'd be inclined to stay overnight there if I were going, to enjoy the different atmosphere from KL. There are different views, of course, but I think most of the best locations outside of Kl are far north, especially Penang. It is possible to use more time, and many people do, but most sights in and around KL are fairly quick. The Butterfly Park and nearby Islamic Museum are well worth while, both very close to the Hilton/Meridien, and a quick ride from the other hotels. I find it hard to judge how long anyone else might take, especially because almost all my tourism there has been part of family-oriented weekend outings. Melacca may be the most overrated place in all of Southeast Asia. Only go there if you're determined to have gone.

Personally I'd spend more time in Singapore or Southern Thailand. OTOH, the Malaysian A380 is really nice! KUL is too.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  10. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with everything Said here. Though, Gary did a rather awesome looking food tour in KL and I thought that might be useful : http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewf...sgiving-things-to-see-and-do-in-kuala-lumpur/

I enjoyed KL, we were there for 2 nights, and that seemed like enough. For 10k HHonors points take the Double Tree. I stayed there, and you have more than 1 drink at happy hour in the Lounge, that alone will cover the points costs according to the wizards at $0.004 pp value. I agree with everything that has been said about the quality of the hotel and suits.

I can't speak for KUL though, having only flown from the LCCT.

Actually given the costs of Hiltons in Malasya I might consider just doing a Mini tour. 5 Nights in KL 10 Nights at the Batang Ai Longhouse Resort for 80k Points total? Now If I can just get my wife to stop being terrified of the spiders in borneo.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have never heard any Malaysian suggest that food anywhere in Malaysia is up to the standards easily found in Singapore and Thailand. It is not bad, there are some very good places, but apart from one excellent Pakistani takeout I know of none that would make it worthwhile to search for them. Even the fine Pakistani one is not quite up to Lahore standards. It is possible to find places that look to have excellent food but...

Even so I do enjoy being in KL, but mostly because of friends there, and work of course.

Jazzsadana, NYCUA1K and Muerl like this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was romantically involved with a Chinese-Malaysian from Penang off and on for some 15 years. Because we both lived in the US, I got to learn quite a bit about Malaysia without ever having been there. The three major ethnic groups are Chinese, Indians, and Malays. "Malaysian food" is essentially a "light" version of the main group that it derives from, as well as a combination thereof...;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    then, you should meet my friends. :D Many will say that the food in Singapore is better marketed/PR campaign, but for the price point and authenticity, you can't beat Malaysia. I do personally love Thailand the best, but after my last trip to Tokyo...i don't know anymore...:)
    wife is Singaporean, best friend is Malaysian from the "food captial of SEA - Penang" or as he puts it so, I have heard many many conversations on this. But many a cooking show and tour guides have made that claim as well. I have not been to Penang, but everything I know and seen, it looks pretty good.
    At the end of it, Singaporean food is derived from Malaysia at its core...I personally loved Petaling Street in the Chinatown area of KL. But, I am an adventurous eater and like authenticity over marketing anyway. Back to the OP, 2-3 days of eating and touring and you basically have to go elsewhere. I agree that I could spend more time in Singapore than KL, but Penang, when I go, may be a different story.

14. Jazzsadana

Jazzsadana Active Member

Status Points:
    I just came back from singapore-cruise-bali 3 months back and this is planned to be in dec when i leave for australia-new zealand stopping by on the way to Malaysia and to Bora Bora+Tahiti while coming back.
    My cruise did stop at langkawi for 9 hours and trust me,by the look of all the food i had in there,it was Local but just superb,pretty much on the highs on singapore food,while i wont treat Bangkok at the same standards.
    No interest in visiting Singapore at all...Was thinking of any extended stay at Kuala lumpur{close to the International airport from where i will board for Melbourne } and visiting Kuala lumpur and nearby day trips
    I did read a lot about Penang but with the amount of days i am gonna spend in AUS-NZ{47 in all},I would really wont to give Penang a break for now.

Singapore Flyer and jbcarioca like this.
  15. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at both the Doubletree and Hilton Sentral, many times last year...... I believe these are some of the better Hilton's in the chain. The Lounge in either hotel are great, the apps and drinks are first rate and more extensive than most Hilton's. 10k for the Doubletree KL has to be the best redemption rate in the system right now. A full breakfast and lounge for 10k points if your a Diamond..... Gold usually get upgraded as well. I have been upgraded into very nice suites on rates around 100USD. Doesnt seem to matter what you pay, they just upgrade if they can. Staff at both locations had been good.

Cabs are reasonable, so I think both locations are fine. Go to Batu Caves, the train will take you right to the site...its worth some pictures and a trip. You need 4 days to see the sites, especially if you are planning a few day trips.... Great city, expensive drinks!!!

16. Jazzsadana

Jazzsadana Active Member

Status Points:
    It seems u have travelled the same place about a few times,any idea on whether a day trip to genting highlands would be possible as well being in the same hotel itself ??
    and Hilton Hhonors may have lost its redemption value by a lot bcoz of the ecent devaluation,but there are still a few properties still worth a real buy with points,with DT being one of the prime most out of them.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is clear that not all hotels changed categories and became unaffordable. The biggest hit was at the very high-end properties (Conrad, W=A), for which folks were saving up all year and redeeming free stays, irking managers whose properties were not being more profitable even though they were usually booked to capacity....with folks redeeming free stays! That is why Money + Points has been made the only way to afford high-end properties since D-Day because this option ensures that guests will spend some money at high-end properties.

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    No problem for a Day trip, just try to avoid rush hour as traffic can be horrible. its only 80 kilometers or so, verify this as I was with a friend but just over an hour drive time that I'm sure of. You can go by bus, but I always prefer taxi. I dont know what your planning on doing but a car all day can be negotiated around 100 USD, depending on your needs and where you are going. I was travelling for work to Singapore and used to hop to KL for the weekends, as its cheaper and lots to see.

The Lounges are great here, and many times I have ended up eating my dinner on prolonged HH. Keep the JW in your pocket and enjoy a cheap Hilton experience that will make you fell rich!!

Anyway, enjoy the trip as I hope to be back in July.

jbcarioca likes this.