Thinking of Switching from Delta to Alaska Mileage Plan - Why Not?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by tomjackjr, Dec 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tomjackjr

tomjackjr Active Member

Status Points:
    I am a DM and Amex Platinum. I am thinking of switching from Delta SM to the Alaska Mileage Plan and wondering if any others could help me work through this a little. I know they will match me to their second tier, which is fine. I am sure I will easily surpass their top tier in a year (MVP75K). I will be a DM for 2014 (and have been since its inception).

Alaska has several good partners, including KLM, Korean Air, Delta, Cathay, AA, and more. I typically fly twice a year each to Botswana (SDF ATL JNB GBE), Philippines (SDF ATL ICN CEB), Trinidad (SDF IAH POS), and Zagreb (SDF DTW CDG ZAG). I have a few domestic flights too. Most of the time I can stay on Skyteam. With the changes (devalue) to Korean Air elite miles I will have to find a different route to Asia (and stay on Delta). But, Alaska doesn't discount miles on KE as badly as the DE/KE relationship next year. I am thinking (way ahead to 2015, since I am fine for 2014) I could use my Alaska FF number and still get access to lounges (Amex) and better flights, early boarding, etc. as an elite Alaska member, while still using Delta or AA (since they are a partner). I might be able to still use KE and KLM as an elite Alaska member (and get elite miles that they no longer give to Delta members) or switch to Cathay on some of my long legs. What am I missing here? Other than my quest to million miler (maybe two years away), why should I do this? Or shouldn't? Thanks for your comments.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What fares do you typically buy? Business, full economy, discount economy? Are the trips paid by you or an employer?

You'd lose free economy comfort, upgrade instruments(which will now be usable on cheap fares if there is availability...), domestic-configured free upgrades, op-up priority, priority irops handling on delta, international skyteam lounge access if not in business, international priority security checkin etc. You earn elite miles and some additional flexibility in carrier, but take a step back in benefits. What sort of awards do you favor? AS is more generous in some ways but less flexible in others (like mixing partners).

How much rollover do you have and how many miles do you fly per year? It may be worth carrying both.

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

With the new upgrades that Delta gives their Diamond members, it may be worth staying with delta if you are going to hit Diamond.