thinking of buying Delta Gift Card for myself, any downside?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MalcoveMagnesia, Dec 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

MalcoveMagnesia Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm about $2,500 away from hitting an AMEX MQM MilesBoost threshold, and to get myself over it I was thinking of buying myself a Delta Gift Card for that amount (since I'm certainly going to spend that amount on Delta flights within the first few months of next year).

Aside from it being a $2,500 charge on my Amex card, are there any other possible downsides, rules or whatever I need to think about before I pull the trigger?

One possible worry was that I wonder if the Customers First (24 hour purchase) rule might not apply for purchases made with a gift card, nor would I have the traditional credit card protections.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure that gift card purchases count as qualified spend?

MalcoveMagnesia likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does DL allow incremental use of the gift cards with residual value left over or is it a "one and done" situation. That could be bad.

4. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Great thought! But no mention of anything in the Delta Amex T&C about exclusions to what is considered qualified spend for MilesBoost.

I wonder if this purchase would also earn the traditional "double bonus" miles that one also gets when buying tickets from Delta?

5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gift cards of any sort of work as qualifying spend for MilesBoost. Maybe technically they should not, but they do. But buying gift cards -- even Delta gift cards -- do not count for the qualified spend necessary to reach medallion status (i.e. spend at least $3000 for sliver status). On the other hand, if you're talking about having enough spend for MilesBoost you'll have at least $25K charged so will be exempt from qualified spend anyhow.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, even if the gift cards don't earn MQD when purchased, when you use them to purchase a DL ticket, AFAIK the entire fare would count for MQD when flown.

7. MalcoveMagnesia
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I ended up buying a hefty Amazon gift card for myself and hopefully that charge will land by Wednesday night. The weasel words in the Delta Gift Card Terms & Conditions that ultimately turned me off was that it appears the card is completely un-combinable with eCerts or upgrade "instruments".

redtailshark likes this.
  8. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. You said it.... this is what ought to come to mind when customers consider statements made by DL corp borgs.

[​IMG]