Think your passport’s still valid? EasyJet may not agree...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...till-valid-easyjet-may-not-agree-8665863.html

Thousands of UK holidaymakers booked to travel to Cyprus on easyJet face being turned away if their passports are soon to expire. Britain’s biggest budget airline is demanding passengers flying to Larnaca and Paphos must have passports with at least three months to run – even though the Cypriot authorities and the Foreign Office insist that the documents are valid until the expiry date.

Jonathan Rickard, a 32-year-old charity executive from London, was refused boarding at Gatwick when he checked in for a short break to Larnaca. He was due to attend a wedding with his fiancée, who has now travelled to Cyprus. But ground staff refused to allow him on the plane because his passport expires in eight weeks, on 14 August. They told him his passport must be valid for at least three months beyond the date of his return to the UK.

Mr Rickard said: “I felt gobsmacked that I was being forced to walk away from a holiday I had planned for months.” The Foreign Office travel advice for Cyprus states that passports for holidaymakers must simply be “valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this”. The Cyprus Tourist organisation in London confirmed to The Independent that Mr Rickard’s documentation was perfectly acceptable.

Read More: http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...till-valid-easyjet-may-not-agree-8665863.html

uggboy likes this.
  2. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, this is a legitimate issue in many countries, including European ones -- to allow entry, they sometimes require a passport valid for up to 6 months beyond the date of entry.

anileze and viguera like this.
  3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    how is this relevant in this particular situation?

Mapsmith and anileze like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should have flown RyanAir.

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

Really ? Must be a post 9/11 thingy ! I recollect in the late 90s I entered seat of EU - Brussels with less than 15 days left on my passport, I was there for merely a week. The Passport Control gal just alerted me to the expiry date coming up soon.

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

Not really a post 9/11 thing. Those rules are older and of course thus unrelated. E.g.,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/285503-canadian-passport.html

7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder if it is due to a UK thing. The Airline said it had to be valid for at least three months beyond his return date?

anileze likes this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did some reading on the travel.state.gov site on Entry/Exit requirements for some of the countries that do have such restrictions (six month passport validity on arrival/entry) - The countries are, Honduras, Indonesia, Jordan, Laos, Guyana, Oman, Tonga, Turkey,Uganda, Vietnam. There might be other countries as well, but I just checked one's I have been to, or might have plans to in the future. :)

There are countries that require a visa prior to arrival, I did not include them here.

rockyrock and Mapsmith like this.
  9. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lot of countries require a certain amount of time left..i.e. 3 or 6 months. That is on them for not checking into that before they left.

10. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    TIMATIC says this for a UK national:
    Code:
    Passport required.
    - Nationals of United Kingdom may enter with a passport or
      passport replacing document valid upon arrival.
    whereas for a US passport holder say:
    Code:
    Passport required.
    - Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
      for 3 months beyond the period of intended stay.

11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

I think the rules for EU to EU are different. I use a passport card when crossing into Ontario from Buffalo or taking Amtrak to Montreal, others need a passport.

12. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm talking about the rules for a UK national to enter Cyprus according to TIMATIC, and I also gave an example of a US national entering Cyprus to show that one needs a passport valid for a certain amount of time, and one doesn't.

anileze likes this.
  13. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:

"They told him his passport must be valid for at least three months beyond the date of his return to the UK"

Does this mean he may have been traveling on a US Passport. That would explain the denial.

14. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.