Think Twice Before Frowning In The Security Line

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, May 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.fastcompany.com/1755201/think-twice-before-frowning-in-the-security-line

There are some things business travelers just shouldn't do. Tug on Superman's cape, Spit into the wind. Pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger. And you don't mess around with the Transportation Security Administration, more fondly known by its acronym, TSA, which some wags insist stands for Touching Sensitive Areas.Don't frown. I mean, it's OK to frown at Totally Spurious Acronyms (TSA); please just don't do it in front of the real TSA.
    Why not? you may ask. It's simply because in security lines the act of frowning is, well, frowned upon--this according to a recent eFlyer-Intelligence story at Global Traveler USA online, which notes that the TSA is now monitoring passenger behavior--yes, including facial expressions. Start practicing your best Chauncey Gardiner pose.

In so doing, the TSA invested a few taxpayer dollars in coining one of the most memorable job descriptions to come out of any federal agency: "behavioral indicator officers." Might this be an indicator of things to come? These officers -- shall we call them BIOs? -- are, according to news reports, now in face-saving mode at 161 airports across the Land of the Free and Home of the Naked Scanners.
    BTW--if you wondered, the TSA has 486 of the millimeter wave and backscatter imagers in operation at 78 airports. Meantime, there is a move afoot in Congress to stop deploying these devices, which many consider an invasion of personal liberty. Some also worry about the radiation dosage that the x-ray backscatter devices deliver.
    All of this would cause me to frown too. But never in an airport.
    That's because in the security line, in proximity to the intrepid BIOs, looks count. Imagine getting hauled away because you grimaced at the guy groping you. Remember, you are your smile. So ladies, check your mascara. Careful of the eyeliner. Add more blush. (Is it me, or has the TSA given a whole new meaning to the term "face time"?)

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question: I sneezed once in line at ORD......does that make me a candidate for secondary.... :D

yaychemistry and sobore like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL! a candidate for secondary and some of grandma's chicken soup! ;)

milchap likes this.
  4. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    My scowl is epic and I'm proud to display it every time I step into security lines so if TSA thinks they can have me arrested for it, we'll see what a judge says.