Things you personally never or rarely order in an Italian Restaurant

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Rejuvenated, Aug 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me it is any pasta involving creamy Alfredo Sauce. Don't get me wrong I love the sauce but I can definitely make it myself which suits my personal taste without it being too creamy nor too rich. I also find it rather annoying that some restaurants have the nerve to overprice and charge $10 USD and higher for just the pasta and sauce alone with no vegetables nor meats. :mad: BTW Alfredo Sauce is not a common item one will find for restaurants in Italy as it is often regarded by the locals as a low class meal and something that can be easily prepared and often done so when one is in a hurry and doesn't feel like investing in a lot of time to prepare a meal.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gnocchi, they're too heavy and carb-laden; I won't eat them.

3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although Spaghetti all Carbonara has many variations, many "Italian" restaurants confuse it to mean Spaghetti with cream sauce which it is not. Spaghetti all Carbonara is usually made with pasta, bacon, cheese, black pepper, and fresh egg mixed into the ingredients just before removing from the stove.

[​IMG]

druiddation, travlr, milchap and 6 others like this.
  4. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have to agree gnocchi should stay in the kitchen. And vongole should stay in the ocean.

Love the internet. Guess what i just learned from Mario:
    "Spaghetti as the coalman's wife makes it: Spaghetti alla Carbonara"
    I always though carbonara referred to using smoked meat like bacon. However, that doesn't explain pancetta. :)

5. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    And then there's puttanesca.
    :eek:

Kalboz and lili like this.
  6. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    I''m afraid, but I'm going to look anyway ...

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    She should stay at the street corner :D

Chimpy and lili like this.
  8. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Outside Italia i usually stick to Pizzas and avoid ordering any pastas , unless the restaurant is owned and run by Italians, then i could hope for some good Lasagnas.
    One of my favorite Italian dish is Aubergines/Eggplant a la Parmegiana

Kalboz likes this.
  9. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pizza

gomike and Kalboz like this.
  10. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suanla chaoshou.
    ;)

gomike and Kalboz like this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    But we are talking Italian here :)

Chimpy likes this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I lived two years in Italy and I never saw Lasagna during my stay there :eek:
    [​IMG]

13. PointHoarder
    Original Member

PointHoarder Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just about never order pasta. I never feel I'm getting my money worth for something I could cook up at home for 1/20th of the price. I usually avoid Italian restaurants, but if I am at one (usually not by choice), you'll see me ordering either the pizza or the steak!

sobore, Kalboz and mynameismud like this.
  14. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel the same way- most of the stuff I see in Italian restaurants I could for myself for cheaper. I usually only go to an Italian place if that's what the rest of the group wants to do.

Kalboz, sobore and mynameismud like this.
  15. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto to the above posts, though I justify it sometimes by telling myself that I'm there to explore other people's perspectives of Italian cooking.

I would add spaghetti bolognese (or as the Italians would have it - ragu) to the list. If it's primarily tomato-based, it doesn't seem like authentic ragu to me.

sobore and Kalboz like this.
  16. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great thread, rejuvenated! One look at Kalboz's photo and one click to lili's link, and I know what I'm making for dinner tonight!;)

Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  17. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    My favorite dish....and difficult to find well prepared.

18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not cheap, but in some upscale Italian restaurants they have access to high quality ingredients, such a big thick veal chops and whole fresh fish, that you can't buy yourself in grocery stores in some cities.

I avoid the hearty homestyle sort of Italian cooking in which everything comes with a side of spaghetti with tomato sauce. I also hate the two-pound meatballs served family style at places like Buca di Pepe. The quantity of low-quality food is disgusting.

ShopAround likes this.
  19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ordered the Chicken Pisano at Anaheim's Mama Cozza's because Guy Fiery recommended it on his show and it was horrid :eek: This restaurant eleminated a great and popular dish from the menu which I used to order on every visit 10-15 years ago: the Chicken Rollotini (Chicken meat rolled and stuffed with ricotta and spinach, cooked, topped with marinara sause, and served with a side of spaghetti ... flavorful delicious stuff), WHY???
    [​IMG]

Chimpy likes this.
  20. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will agree with the gnocchi mainly because there are so many dishes which are better.

But one mainstream (in Italy at least) dish I simply do not like is anything al nero di seppia. Couldn't develop a taste for it.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true. Some restaurants have access to special suppliers who provide items not generally available and much better than store quality. Warning: These establishments will have a significant impact on your wallet!

Kalboz likes this.
  22. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    The retail outlet for where the best places get their fish is a short walk from home :)

What I see from this post is a sad commentary on the state of "Italian" food, which I generally don't notice until I travel. Too many regional Italian restaurants around here, many make their own pastas or use locally-procured fresh pastas (served in quantities where people from elsewhere wonder where the food is), gnocchi made properly (in a place that might make it) and so on.

The only thing that I would regularly avoid in an Italian restaurant is anything with spinach. I'm more likely to avoid the Italian restaurant altogether (one that I wouldn't want to eat anything at) than avoid anything in particular on a decent menu. As an example, here's a local menu. I actually haven't been there in quite awhile but really like the place. Small menu. http://www.trattoriacorso.com/menus/corso_dinner_menu.pdf There are other similar places around.

Sweet Willie and Kalboz like this.
  23. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I agree that generally pasta dishes are not a great value item to order in restaurants, I was hooked on the Mostaccioli Eggplant at Maggiano's Little Italy for years. The soft cooked eggplants mixed with light marinara sauce and olive oil in generous portions over pasta was amazing. But even this popular dish was discountnued :eek: Now when feeling like having some pasta, I order Rigatoni-D with Chicken which is good but not as good as the Mostaccioli Eggplant. I would never order the Baked Ziti, too salty. :p

Chimpy likes this.
  24. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anything with Alfredo sauce, most seafood. I also avoid chain Italian restaurants like Olive Garden. OG is about as authentic regarding Italian cuisine as Outback Steakhouse is Australian. :D

LadyRVG, sobore and Kalboz like this.
  25. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the best Alfredo sauce ever (homemade or restaurant-made) at Acquerello in SanFrancisco.
    I consider the Olive Garden (along with the Spaghetti Factory/Warehouse, etc.) as the Italian-American Denny's and also avoid as their food is flavorless and very salty. :D

Chimpy and sobore like this.