Things UA/CO almost did, but in the end, it never did...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Weatherboy, Aug 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking of things CO/UA were close to implementing...but yanked in the 11th hour for whatever reason. Can anyone add to this list:

-Instant Hyatt Diamond status was going to be a perk of the CO Presidential Platinum Card. They even announced such at a breakout session at a CO Do. Unfortunately, the perk didn't materialize.

- CPUs on Delta. Both sides worked out the technology to process elites for CO/DL on each other's metal. Which would have meant CO/DL/NW would be able to enjoy reciprocal elite upgrades across each other's equipment, with the airline's elites cleared before the other airline's elites cleared at each level. But once DL/NW got merger happy, that was all scrapped.

- Supersonic service. Continental had ordered a supersonic jet ...and has a beautiful large model of it in their IAH training/simulator facility. Unfortunately, the order was never filled and the airline never had supersonic service.

Aktchi and Wandering Aramean like this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of these things is much older than the others. :D

I'll also add:
    • For CO, prior to the merger, the ability to use the Travel Bank account for virtually everything – things like credit from unused non-refundable tickets, VDB vouchers, and the like, would all go into that account, and then it could be used as a single bank for ticket purchases, but also for anything else sold through the website. It was never officially announced, but definitely discussed by various people within the company at more than one of the big events they held in Houston, as well as at a few of the smaller ones.
    • Expanding the mid-cabin lavatory configuration to the entire 738 fleet, which not only gave the plane an additional lavatory, but also an additional row of F. This was announced, and as we all know, some planes were delivered new in that configuration in the second half of 2001, but the plan was quickly scrapped in the wake of September 11 and the economic conditions that followed.

Aktchi, rggale, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    EWR-CAI
    EWR-DME ( circa 2005 )

5. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Multiparty alliances by CO with TWA/NWA (with CO and NW aiding TWA's exit from BK as a standalone) and with NWA/AWA at the dawn of the 21st century.

rggale likes this.
  6. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:

Ahh yes...I was going to mention that too :)

rggale likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was looking forward to CAI.

8. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:

I was looking forward to DME.

meFIRST likes this.
  9. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. I remember all the foreign language speakers (FAs) we hired for that route.

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Merge with US.

ssullivan and rggale like this.
  11. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrade me, but instead left me to "die" at #1.

:D

Gtitan, snod08, KenInEscazu and 2 others like this.
  12. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    It may still come back. PMUA had IAD-DME

austin_res likes this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many of us did take advantage of the PMUA promo to inaugurate their daily nonstop IAD-DME service in 2009. It might have been by invitation-only but I did get an email with the offer to do LGA-IAD-DME for just $360 RT everything included and on top of that UA was running a DEQM promo. I picked dates at end April-early May 2009 to coincide with the Russian celebration of WW-II Victory Europe Day. Truly heady stuff.;)

14. austin_res

austin_res Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remove economy plus from pmUA aircraft. When UA and CO merged, E+ was supposedly on the chop block since the management didn't want to lose ticket sales by removing seats but changed their mind when they saw the additional revenue that can be made by selling E+ as well as encouraging loyalty from frequent fliers.

rggale, unavaca and goalie like this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Removing E+ was never announced.

COFlyerCLE, snod08 and ssullivan like this.
  16. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that was nothing more than an unsubstantiated FT rumor.

17. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Back when it did exist, I was on this route every 3 months on average. Towards the end it was 4 days a week, 3 days in the winter.

And I paid a lot more than $360. The lowest business class fare was usually $2700 ~ . The time savings was significant. These days its a LONG connection in Geneva / Zurich and awful early departure. OR FLYING SKTEAM

18. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:

It definitely was discussed by CO leaders though who said they see no value in E+, have no intentions of adding it to CO, and wanted to remove it from UA should an acquisition occur. I guess when the acquisition occurred and they saw the $$$ it was generating, it stuck. :)

19. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was a similar rumor that the boys in Houston wanted to get rid of United p.s

Until they saw the numbers......

rggale likes this.
  20. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really think they should do a few P.S. flights daily to connect EWR-SFO/JFK with TATL/TPAC operations.

Flyer1976, desamo, meFIRST and 2 others like this.
  21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That CO executives "discussed" the likely demise of E+ after the merger is urban legend. Much of the "discussing" happened here and at TOBB and not in the CO boardrooms, especially before they had even had the opportunity to fully appreciate the value of E+ (most people in the industry, in fact, were already aware that E+ was a money maker).

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  22. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heck, CO had already dipped their toes in that water before the merger with selling access to ELR seats.

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  23. djohannw

djohannw Active Member

Status Points:
    United once announced to remove food from transatlantic services from London, yet rescinded that decision shortly before the commencement date, probably in part because of the protest of flyers but in most part because no other airline followed their move...

Greetings - Dirk

24. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I remembered that. Specifically BUY ON BOARD in United Business

25. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    PMUA
    Some of your kids may not remember this but, circa 2000 there was a proposal to turn the now (RIP) Terminal 6 at JFK, which at the time was occupied by TWA (RIP) into an international global gateway. This would handle the overflow the flights to EZE, GRU, GIG, LHR, NRT, HKG, LHR and various other places, which at that time left from Terminal 7. There was also a small domestic feed. Flights from to BOS, ORD, and MIA as I recall, as well as 767 transcons, with plastic foot rest from LAX and SFO.

Then 9/11 happened, United BK happened, MIA hub closed (2003?) and today ( 13 years later) JFK operates departures out to IAD/LAX/SFO with a Global First Lounge and United Club. A memory of what used to be there, at T7.

PMCO
    There was a proposal ( attempt ) to remove sundae's from the trancons, ex EWR. This disappeared and then the old transcons came back. 2005?

Around 2001 was the time Gordon started the EWR-HKG flights with the then new 777-200, and expanded PMCO's international offerings. This was also the time when PMUA closed shop in NYC, and I moved my business across the Hudson. The rest.....is history.
    Today both carriers are one. Its funny how it all works out in the end. My lifetime account balance is, eternally grateful :D