Things to Do Recommendation: Italy

Discussion in 'Europe' started by TheTravelAbstract, Feb 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TheTravelAbstract

TheTravelAbstract Silver Member

Status Points:
    Planning a trip to Calabria Italy with the girlfriend for late Feb/early March. First time to that region. We are visiting her grandparents and were thinking of driving around Calabria and seeing all it has to offer.

We will be going to Cosenza (where her father lived) and Catanzaro (where her grandparents are).

We are extremely frugal aka prefer free activities. We are into outdoor pursuits (hiking, scuba), museums (scientific and artistic), we love food.

This is a lazy trip we are not trying to see all of Italy just enjoy her ancestral home.

All ideas and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

2. Trastevere

Trastevere Active Member

Status Points:
    Take the A3 from Cosenza along the western coast, exiting to Vibo Valentia Marina. Follow SS522/SP6 to Tropea. Spend a day in town and check out the local scene. Enjoy some time down on the beach and a visit to Santa Maria dell'Isola is a MUST! There's a nice Norman cathedral as well. It's a great town for the beach, eating, drinking, and relaxation.

After that just keep heading south all the way to Reggio. You can look across the Strait of Messina and see Sicily. Another solid beach town with a city vibe to it. Take a stroll along the Lungomare Falcomata and enjoy the view. Check out the Bronzi di Riace, the Greek bronze statues that are in the Museo Nazionale della Magna Grecia. They date the statues back to BC times but weren't found until about 40+ years ago by a man on a scuba dive (if I remember correctly). There's plenty of other sites and spots in Reggio.

As you make your way back north towards Cosenza you can split east on the Strada dei Due Mari and visit Catanzaro. I'm not familiar with Catanzaro or Cosenza but I can personally vouch for Tropea, Reggio, and some stops along the way. Worth the trip...

3. Trastevere

Trastevere Active Member

Status Points:
    I just reread your original message and noticed you've taken your trip already. So sorry...a bit overzealous with my response. How was it?

4. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points: