Things to do in UAE?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ericb, Sep 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Milepoint,

Any suggestions on fun things to do in UAE this weekend? Parag and I are coming in from the mistake fare SEZ-AUH-DUB and looking to have a fun weekend. Already booked a desert safari, but was wondering if there is any noteworthy nightlife outside of the hotels in Dubai Thursdays or Abu Dhabi Friday? We'll be hitting up the souk, Burj Khalifa and Burj Al Arab and a brief hop to the megamalls, but if any of you are currently in the UAE, happy to meet up for a drink and/or night on the town.

Eric

uggboy, Sweet Willie and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a fan of Dubai, for a 'real' Middle East experience I'd highly suggest Israel, Egypt, Jordan.

But kudos for getting a mistake fare, my highlights of Dubai were as follows:
    The boat ride, Jumeirah Mosque tour, and the Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding were the highlights of my Dubai trip.

Boat ride was really only pleasurable because it felt refreshing to be out on the water, the scenery is really nothing beautiful nor contains any wow factor.

Jumeirah Mosque was very educational, the mosque itself is very boring in an architectural sense, very small, very simple and because it was built in 1978, the workman & materials used were not the same quality at all of some of the earlier built mosques I had the good fortune to visit in Istanbul (another person I was speaking with on the tour made the same remark). The speaker (Emiratee male named Nasif (sp?)) was fantastic and gave great insights into the aspects of Mosque prayer and behavior. www.cultures.ae

Same goes for the Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding www.cultures.ae which is located in the VERY boring/contrived Bastakiya area. The centre had a luncheon I went to (on certain days they offer lunch, other days breakfast), the centre was again very interesting, the speaker (an American woman who converted to Islam & married an Emiratee) was very fun and also upfront about what life is like as an Emiratee woman of Islamic faith. Her mother in law actually cooked the 7 dishes we enjoyed for lunch, so this was true Emiratee food, most "middle eastern" food in Dubai is Persian/Lebanese.

Two experiences I would have liked to have done in Dubai would have been to see some horse racing at Nasr Al Sheba racetrack as well as camped out in the desert for a night (or at least done the off roading desert experience)

Mikus33, guinnessxyz, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the megamall with the ski slope was worth a quick view but only for the ski slope. I'm assuming there might be some items in the malls that are a deal, I didn't see anything that was but shopping isn't my thing so I'm probably not the best judge.

guinnessxyz and uggboy like this.
  4. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Willie! We ended up touring some of the older parts of the city (my friend got his cell phone screen repaired), had lunch at an awesome vegetarian Indian restaurant and some smoothies, then we took the train to Dubai Mall and walked around looking at a number of crazy reproductions/exhibits they have there (including a giant aquarium). We then got some massages, had a light dinner and went up to the 122nd floor of the Burj Khalifa for drinks around sunset. We had a fairly long wait for the bus to Abu Dhabi, but checked into the Park Hyatt and are currently sipping wine overlooking the water and Saadiyat Island.

5. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    not sure what type of night life you are after but hotels are only option if you want alcoholic drinks

guinnessxyz, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I believe most places to get booze are in hotels in Dubai, I do recall drinking at www.theirishvillage.com and at least one other place that wasn't in a hotel.

uggboy, guinnessxyz and jonspencer like this.
  7. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Irish Village is an exception (seem to be more and more) and not a bad place. It was originally built on the success of the Dubai Tennis Championship grounds and is owned by Dubai Duty Free (supposedly the highest grossing duty free in the world)

Used to be you could buy 2 bottles of booze at Dubai Duty Free on entry to UAE, now it is 6 bottles :D $$$ talks

uggboy, Sweet Willie and guinnessxyz like this.
  8. sing

sing New Member

Status Points:
    It may only be for the most stout hearted of tourists, but there’s no denying that flying is one of the best ways to soak up the awe-inspiring skyline that UAE has become famous for. It is one of the most adventurous things to do in Dubai.