Things to do in Frankfurt?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by LizzyDragon84, Sep 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be visiting Frankfurt during the last week of December. I'll be there for about two days- coming in on Wednesday morning and leaving Friday afternoon.

This will be my first time in Germany and I was wondering if folks have any suggestions on things to do there or have any restaurant recommendations. Things l like to do include visiting museums, walking through park/garden areas and enjoying the local cuisine.

I also have an interest in German wine. I know Frankfurt is near the Rheingau wine region- are there any wineries that can be reached by train/public transit? (Renting a car would be a hassle for me).

Danke schön in advance for any info or advice you can provide. I really appreciate it. :)

2. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    At that time of year you definitely wan to find the local Weinachtmarkt. The German Chrismtmas markets are not to be missed.

We found the riverfront of Frankfurt to be nice. But most of our trip was spent down the line in Heidelberg. Which is easily accessible.

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    While they are famous, the Xmas markets in Germany have never been very exciting for me. They sell a lot of hot mulled wine which clearly is there because it is made from wine that they couldn't sell otherwise. And there are a lot of booths filled with expensive schlock.

As to what else to do in Frankfurt, my impression is that there isn't much. Not aware of any world-class museums there, but admittedly I haven't checked lately.

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  4. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Unfortunately, I'm in FRA after Christmas and it looks like the markets will be shut down by that point. I've done some other research and I have to agree with RichardinSF that there doesn't appear much to do in Frankfurt beyond enjoying some of the local restaurants. I'm thinking I'll probably head down to Mainz or Weisbaden instead and spend some time in those towns since they're easy to get to by train.

RichardInSF likes this.
  5. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're going to Mainz and you like wine, you may wish to visit:

Deutsches Weininstitut [​IMG]

Gutenbergplatz 3, 55116 Mainz, Germany
    +49 6131/2829​
    ext. 0 ‎deutscheweine.de

and right next door, if you're hungry:

Haus des Deutschen Weines [​IMG]

Gutenbergplatz 3-5, 55116 Mainz, Germany+49 6131/221300 ‎hdw-gaststaetten.de

Both are an easy (15 minute walk ) from the Mainz train station and an even easier walk from the Hilton Mainz City.

6. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd suggest taking the train to Heidelburg. It may require one change of trains but the total time is about 50 minutes each way. It is a very nice place to walk around. You can visit the castle that overlooks the city or just explore the town.
    I think the taxi ride from the station to downtown Heidelburg is fairly cheap ($10). I usually avoid spending any time in Frankfurt except for the airport or crashing at a hotel the night before a morning flight.

Tenmoc likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't generally have too much fun in Frankfurt proper; I like the towns at the other end of the S-Bahn train from the airport better. Still, I did enjoy the Klein Markthalle once I finally found it last trip. Certainly a decent enough way to kill an hour or two.

[​IMG]

You can probably kill another couple hours wandering around the Altstadt, visiting the Cathedral and getting a snack in the square. It is pretty enough but, again, not a ton of stuff. Just a couple hours, really.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(click any of the pictures for more details on my visits earlier this year)

RichardInSF likes this.