Thief swipes Rolex at FLL security checkpoint

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by rwoman, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    YULtide, sobore, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm outraged about this man! It only shows where our planet is heading!
    PS....Was surprised that the lady did not miss her Rolex watch for the next 30 minutes.
    Sad he got away with it, hope they get him and he is NO member of MP!

rwoman and sobore like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last time a Rolex was stolen at a security checkpoint the TSA did it.

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am always surprised that people put small yet valuable items (wallet, car keys, watch, phone, rings, ...) in the bins instead of their bags. A recipe for disaster.

A few weeks ago I found a silver bracelet in the bin that I was about to put my laptop or coat in. There was no TSO on my side of the metal detector, so I let it ride through the dray machine with my stuff and then handed it to a TSO on the other side as I was collecting my belongings and explained that I had found it in the bin.

(in retrospect, that may not have been the smartest move. Someone observing me might very well have thought that I found it, looked around, and then put it with my stuff with the intent of keeping it).

snap, 2soonold, Switch2 and 3 others like this.
  6. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    But did the surveillance video work and was it as crystal clear as this one? ;) I find it interesting that when it is pax vs pax as in this case as opposed to pax vs TSA where the surveillance video is either missing, damaged or not clear. Just sayin'..... ;)

rwoman, uggboy and MSPeconomist like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking the same thing. When the video could make TSA look even worse than it already does, the video isn't available, is unavailable due to security, had technical problems, or was deleted.

goalie, rwoman and uggboy like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Could it be that the TSO knows where the cameras are and what areas they cover?

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That too, but they seem to protect each other.

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even items like my iPhone (not cheap to replace and one of the more pricey items I carry when traveling), I try to put in my coat pocket and then put my coat in my carryon...just do not want to chance losing something expensive.

goalie, uggboy and MSPeconomist like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your post was liked by a deleted user. That was fast.

YULtide and rwoman like this.
  12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stinkin' spammers.... :eek:

uggboy likes this.
  13. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    just saw this on the evening news. wow! that guy is "famous" now. LOL! bet he won't be so smug when someone outs him for the reward money, or blackmails him into giving them the watch. Hahaha!

i would never think to take something found in a bin at the airport, or anywhere else. i have called out to people who have left stuff if i notice before they get too far. otherwise, i do turn it over to the TSA. i just wish one of my kids had been so lucky when he lost his iphone while snowboarding. of course, no one turned it in at the resort b/c someone probably was all....oooh shiny, free for me. grrr!

JosephMay and sfo1 like this.
  14. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In contrast to this story, I have one that shows that there are still good people out there. I was taking the 6 AM from BO'S to ORD and in my sleep walk through security I took of my wedding ring and left it in the bin! Yes, I know that you don't have to remove jewelry, but the sleep walking part explains that. Anyhow, I didn't notice the ring was missing til I was washing my hands at ORD. Long story short, I called Logan's TSA lost and found, someone turned the ring in, and they mailed it to me the next day.

LizzyDragon84 and YULtide like this.
  15. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Legally, did that guy committed any crime? I know for sure I would not consider it as the ethical behavior, but did he violate any laws?

16. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait till the theif gets mugged or killed for wearing th watch, hopefully sooner than later, we don't need people like this anywhere, airports or elsewhere.

2soonold likes this.
  17. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Everything I have goes into my zippered pocket in my jacket or in my carry-on. Nothing is put in the bins except my laptop and zip lock bag and of course my jacket with the zippered pockets and I always lay the zip lock bag on top of the jacket.

18. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i do the same thing. i also take my bin/s and move them to the end or re-stack them as a double check i haven't forgotten anything. cannot imagine forgetting a watch, let alone a rolex.

one of the best "investments" i ever made for traveling was a Scottevest travel jacket. i love all the pockets, and feel that it makes the whole TSA process easier.

sfo1 likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If it was California, yes, it would be theft according to

http://www.californiacriminaldefens...al_code_485_pc_theft_lost_found_property.html

I'd assume that California is not unique in that regard, but I am too lazy to look up FL law. Also, I am not a lawyer. But I hope the scumbag is caught.

JosephMay and TAHKUCT like this.
  20. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, everything goes into my jacket pockets and then I fold the jacket so that the pockets are inside/under the fold and then my travel sweater* goes on top of the jacket so let 'em try and steal my Rolex (I mean Fossil ;))

*for those that know me ;), I wear the same outfit right down to the sweater and jacket each and every time I fly

sfo1 likes this.
  21. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised he hasn't been arrested yet. With the amount of attention this story has received you'd figure someone would have identified him and he'd have been found by now.

22. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why in the world would anyone travel with a Rolex in the first place. (unless of course you like putting a huge sign on you saying "mug me")

2soonold and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the person likes his/her Rolex? And travels a lot so that not wearing it when traveling means almost never wearing it?

goalie likes this.
  24. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you take something that is not yours it is stealing! Not so hard a concept to understand. :)

sfo1 and TAHKUCT like this.
  25. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My brother and I were forced to take our watches off when visiting the crown at the statue of liberty. Security pushed our bins through way before we were able to go through the scanner. The watches were sitting unattended on the other side for what seemed like forever. Luckily no crooks were on the other side, and our prized Rolex and Cartier were back on our wrists once on the other side. Security should know better and we would have said something but they gave us no warning they were going to prematurely push them through.