They can put a man on the moon, but they can't allow you to block spam text from your phone?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by DenverBrian, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I mean, come on. Sprint allows for a clunky spam text blocking, but you have to go to the website and then manually enter in the phone number, email address or short code to add to a list. And the list is limited to 50 entries.

You can also block everything except people you enter; but this means that when Aunt Faye finally learns the joys of texting and sends you one, you'll never know it.

What I want is an option on the list when I receive a spam text on the phone itself. Why can't they add "Block" to all the other "reply, delete, view, etc." options? What makes this so hard to implement?

P.S. They can put a man on the moon...but they can't allow you to edit a thread title when you make an accidental typo? :D :D :D

Jeffie likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or an option to only accept texts from those numbers in your "phone book".

Though admittedly, I get very few spams. I am fairly protective of my cell #.

Add your voice here or in one of the other threads on that topic. Maybe it will be acted upon if enough of us raise or. Or... maybe if enough of us mispelt thread subject lines intentionally :)

DenverBrian likes this.
  3. Its to a phone provider's benefit in some cases, at least until they advertise SPAM free.
    Largely, it is easy to control.

Internationally, (Non US) many providers sell both your number and the email for it.
    Then charge those messages against your plan.
    Even if you opt out, it take 30-60 days to slow down, coming in all hours of the day and night.

4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do not subscribe to a texting plan. No need on the BBerry or Android, where email works better (and saves some money).

I got PO'd at the spam and had Verizon turn off all texting to the Android. It took two calls to get it right, but they also told me to call when I got the bill to get the spam messages removed.

TMobile will NOT block texting (or spam) to prepay phones. It is distinctly to their financial advantage to not block them. And with prepay you can't even get an itemized bill, so you can't challenge it. Side note: TMo instituted text blocking on postpay a couple of years ago after being sued by folks that were getting billed for spam messages on POSTPAY accounts, but they did nothing on prepay. An enterprising lawyer could probably make some money suing them over prepay, but it would be harder to gather the evidence as TMo won't provide it. (We have one prepay phone on TMo and they're about to lose that business over this).

Given my experience with VZ, it's probably worth calling them each and every time you get a spam message. Ask for credit. If everyone did that, the companies might find it more financially advantageous to block spam than to pay the customer service reps.

5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]You haven't heard the moon landing was a hoax?

6. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    For my iPhone 1) set up a gmail account because they have very good spam filters. 2) set your existing email to forward to the gmail account. 3) set your iPhone to get the mail from the gmail account.

That cut the spam signifcantly. The disadvantage is if you access email from your pc/laptop and also from the iPhone. You have to remember which email account has the email. Am sure someone has ifugred out that part as well. I found this solution by googling for "iphone" "spam filter".

7. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worst part is when the phone company spams you -- love all the freaking AT&T texts I get.

8. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    The people who sent men to the moon aren't the same as those running the cell phone companies. The latter are much worse. :)

9. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cell phone operators, domestic airline executives, car dealers. Interchangable.

10. Easy Victor

Easy Victor Silver Member

Status Points:
    Verizon is the worst when it comes to blocking unwanted calls or text. They will only do it when you subscribe to their plan for $5/mo. If you have an Iphone on Verizon, if you jailbreak it there is a program called Blacklist which will filter any incoming calls or text and dispatch them according to your requirements. My spam calls are set to just go to a busy signal. And spam texts just delete. The phone doesn't ring when a spam comes in unless you tell it to do so.

A bit pricey at $12, but for me it was well worth it.