theWit Hotel Chicago - A Poor Man's "W"

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by TimeZoneCST, May 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't misunderstand the title of my review. I think this is a fantastic hotel for your stay in Chicago. But it has the feel of a "W" but lacks some of the finer details that makes the "W" the "W."

We drove in from the burbs, arrived at the hotel and valeted our car for $45 a night. Which by Chicago standards is actually not a bad price. Not great, but not terrible. The lobby was small but clean, upbeat with clean-line modern decor. The staff greeted us with smiles and a "can do" attitude. The overall staff appeared to be young and ready to serve it's guests. Which quite honestly is not always the case in Chicago (and I'm a 41yr Chgo native).

Once we checked in to our upgraded 2 room suite on the 25th floor, we headed up on one of 6 speedy elevators. I would recommend asking for a "higher floor" when checking in. The hotel is situated just inside the NE end of the "L" loop and has the potential for being noisy at lower floors.

Our room was clean, spacious and with the same clean line modern decor. Two 55" Flat panels in both rooms, a small kitchenette, large bath with soaker tub and stand up shower (a finer detail upgrade would be a large Rain-can showerhead). The views from the State Street side are not great. Rooms that face east are sure to feature a view of the lake or Millennium Park. My overall review of the room was very good. Spacious, comfortable bed, upscale accoutrements, quiet.

The Roof Bar is definitely a draw for this hotel. Both roof top decks have fabulous views with a vibrant night life scene. Upgrade opportunity: Glass drink ware instead of plastic. Kind of juvenile in my opinion, but maybe I'm just old.

In the morning we ate breakfast at the restaurant adjacent to the lobby (sorry, forgot the name but its the only one next to the lobby). The service was slow but surprisingly the portions were good (I had the eggs Benedict and my wife had a scrambled egg dish) and prepared to our liking.

Finally, the location of this hotel is superb! You are on State across the street from the Chicago Theatre and Channel 7 street side studio. You have the best of both worlds by being situated at the North end of the loop close to river taxis, Millennium Park, Michigan Ave, Chicago Theatre, State Street Shopping and a short taxi to any of the Museums and Water Tower. Not to mention the endless cuisine choices right out your door step. Great location!!
    My overall opinion is Great hotel, great location, great staff, great value. Don't pass this one up if you get the chance.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  2. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree esp regarding value- had a very good one night stay here during a Hilton hopping tour of Chicago and was upgraded (HH Gold) to a 1 bdr corner room with a small mini-kitchen; monster bath; received vouchers for breakfast (dollar value). Had a condo vs hotel room feel to it. Could see the river and that funky apartment block where you park your boat underneath. Will stay again.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP mentioned plastic rather than glass glasses being used on the roof deck. One should be aware than in some localities--Minneapolis is one--glass is forbidden on restaurant outdoor elevated decks because of the risk and danger that a glass could fall onto someone on the sidewalk below. Even if glass is permitted, it could be a liability issue.

KENNECTED likes this.
  4. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah yes, good point. To that I would also add that maybe I should have thought of that considering the bouncers out numbered the guests 2:1....uhh yeah...glass at 27 stories up = not a good idea, LOL.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great Review OP and good synopsis. I have stayed here- it has better service than either W in Chicago (fortunately).