There you go again, Delta. Intra-Asia awards up 125% (20k>45k)

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Jaimito Cartero, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like DL did one of their unannounced tricks this week. Increasing many Intra-Asia coach awards from 20k RT to 45k RT. Biz class is up from 40k to 70k!

Too bad they don't actually publish an award chart that shows redemptions. That would be logical. :)

Luckily I've need a flight for a few weeks, and kept getting clueless DL agents. Called up last Saturday and got a Chisholm agent (NW elite center before the merger), who would actually check awards, and not just try to get me off the phone. 40k burned, and just in time, it seems.

2. OW.

Given that SkyTeam has the best intra-Asia coverage, that's a serious increase in pain. Worse is it seems Delta has the "best" SkyTeam FFP for earning, as many of the other ones give nothing for the el cheapo fares.

3. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    They had to do something with those skymiles that never expire! The hammer has started to drop?

Points likes this.
  4. DoubleJ
    Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the only remaining reasons I still kept SkyPesos is now gone. [​IMG]

5. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    that sucks... although when I checked on a few options intra-Asia a month ago there was nothing in the 10k one way range

I ended up using United, 10k + $22 for an 8 hour trip seemed pretty reasonable

6. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA is reasonable and respectful of its "loyalty" program customers in a way DL SkyMiles management are not inclined to be.with DL "loyalty" program customers.

This is all too typical of DL SkyMiles management.

7. I was planning on finally making it to Japan when I study abroad in China this fall. While I have no problem flying low cost carriers from China-SE Asia, Beijing to Tokyo has normally priced at around $450-500 (although I'm seeing some 350 fares on ITA now)... Argh- I thought I had a good use from my SkyPesos.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    DL did not have one way awards. Or I should say, you could get a one way award, but they'd charge you the full RT miles.

Points likes this.
  9. Points
    Original Member

Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

10. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those are painful redemption numbers. I don't fly Delta, but 20k for intra Asia economy was in line with the Star Alliance award levels (20k/30k/40k, Y/C/F for travel within "North Asia"). I did HKG-NRT roundtrip in Business for 30k a couple years ago and thought it was the best thing ever...spent less miles on two five hour flights in ANA business class than I have going from Philly to Florida to visit my in-laws.

I feel bad for you guys and (selfishly) hope Star Alliance doesn't follow suit!

11. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, UA is not as generous any more. HKG is considered to be in "South Asia," so award tix from NRT cost 40/60/80 in Y/C/F. North Asia is now 25/40/55 regardless of carrier. NRT-BKK and NRT-SIN on UA metal are theoretically still a very good deal, at 20/30/40 respectively, but seats are as rare as hen's teeth, particularly up front.

12. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good info--But I'm thinking you're quoting mileage levels for reedeeming UA miles on UA metal? Because I redeemed US Airways miles for my trip, and I just looked at the Star Alliance partner award chart, and within North Asia, Y has crept up to 25K, but C is still 30 and F is still 40. And the chart is also showing that HKG and Japan are both in North Asia...so I'm wondering if redeeming UA Mileage Plus miles on UA metal is different, which it sounds like it is.

13. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, yes. US seems to still be generous, though we'll see how long that lasts given all the promos they have going on now. UA used to have similarly generous levels, but they changed their award chart a couple of years ago, and now intra-Asia awards are much more expensive, with the notable exception of UA's own BKK and SIN flights which are still very cheap (but very difficult to get on).

14. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Delta has done so many things to make redeeming awards very difficult, or at a minimum expensive in foreign origination charges for Europe. Add in 2x, 3x or even more mileage, and it's a ponzi scheme.

15. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Although I have never used an intra-Asia award I obviously still hate to see any award level increase.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  16. It will be VERY interesting to see the whole chart when it gets published... this is by no means the last hammer to drop...

MSPeconomist likes this.
  17. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    70/80k for US-Asia coach. And that's if you're lucky enough to find low rewards. The 120k Biz awards stay the same, but can you actually ticket them with any sort of ease? I doubt it.

I really think that the way DL didn't publish the charts, when they were easily updated was intentional. Add in the difficulty of booking international biz awards and it seems to fit a pattern of bait/switch.

18. Wings
    Original Member

Wings Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bunch of crap...

19. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just took another DL flight last week, so am up above 500k again. Sigh. I really hope that some pressure can be put on DL to ratchet back these award levels. The Intra-Asia award was I was hoping to actually be able to burn the miles.

20. The 25K award to ROR from elsewhere in North Asia (Beijing, Shanghai) is actually good value since it's easy enough to build in stopover in Japan as well. I'm thinking Micronesia might be a good winter break trip next year (although I should probably lock in the low level fares now!)