The World's Longest Flight on a Plane With Two Engines

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MLW20, Nov 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    I saw this graphic posted on Delta's Facebook page on November 9. The graphic and info provided definitely caught my attention. Along with the graphic Delta posted:

We’re all about going the distance. At 8,434 miles and more than 16 hours, our direct flight from Johannesburg to Atlanta is the longest flight in the world on a plane with two engines.

I found Delta's information interesting. Over the summer I had found out that Singapore Airlines operated the longest flight in the world. It goes from Newark- Singapore and takes a little under 19 hours! (For our flight to Singapore we flew from JFK-Cairo, had a short layover and then flew from Cairo- to Singapore.) The flight from Newark to Singapore is going to be cancelled in 2013.

I've been on quite a few long flights. I'd guess that my two longest direct flights ever were:
    • Hong Kong to New York (JFK) on Cathay Pacific- around 16 hours flying
    • Dubai to Atlanta on Delta (on the way back to JFK) around 15 1/2 hours flying
    What's the longest direct flight that you've ever flown?
    (Originally posted to my blog HERE. Feel free to comment there with comments regarding your longest flight experience!)

malikguy, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the logo for ATL supposed to be?

They used to fly 777s on ATL-BOM which is 8510 miles, longer than ATL-JNB. Not a fun flight unless in Business.

MLW20 and jbcarioca like this.
  3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    YVR-SYD is 7757 miles and it's flown with a 777. I might fly it next year. (Longest to date is YYC-LHR.)

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    YYZ-HKG = 7790 miles

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    EWR-HKG = 8,060mi.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wondering what the logo for Atlanta is too. JoBurg's is easy- Table Mountain.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is odd, since these topics tend to be technical so minor quibbles assume large importance. 'Direct' does not mean 'nonstop'. 'nonstop' is literal, but 'direct' only means that the same flight number is used. there can even be change of equipment and still have a direct flight. OK, I admit it, I can be compulsive about such issues.

The SQ 21/22 is one of my favorites. It is certain to be back, BTW, when the new ULH aircraft begin to arrive, but for now all SQ's A340-500's are being traded back to Airbus, so we'll temporarily, for a year or two, lose these flights.

My longest two engine flights are not really so very long at all, by these standards. They are GIG-FRA on TAM A330 and GIG-AMS on KLM B777-200ER.

For the record the B777-200ER holds the record for longest flight by a two-engine airliner with a single engine under ETOPS, with a UA flight from LAX-AKL lost an engine and flew 177 minutes on a single engine. http://www.aviationtoday.com/asw/categories/bga/Divert-Details_2255.html#.UKebpaU3p8t.

Just to be more pedantic, two engine turbojet airliners actually have three engines, because the APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) is a turbine too. Most APU's can be started in flight, under some situations to reduce the load on the remaining main engine(s). Some APU's can produce as much as 10% additional thrust, quite a lot in an emergency. Part of the Emergency in-flight engine shut-down checklist on the B777's is starting the APU. Thus, at a very technical level, even with an in-flight engine shutdown the B77 remains a two engine operation because the APU is used. That arcane point is a traditional trick question for pilots transitioning to large aircraft. "How many engines does a B777 have? correct answer: three". The question is posed just to embarrass the transitioning pilots. Luckily ofr them, somebody usually takes pity on the poor victims and warns them before they reach the first day of type training.

MLW20 likes this.
  8. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Logo for ATL is probably a bottle of coke :)

Longest flight was LAX-BKK, 8250 miles in a middle coach seat.....that sucked!

-MO

malikguy and jbcarioca like this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one in Cape Town?

10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would be my assumption. Probably the best known site in CPT!

11. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew on the SQ EWR-SIN nonstop in J on my RTW F ticket (I purposely downgraded myself to this J flight in order to get to SiN as soon as possible) in summer 2011. It was a really long flight! But very nice in J.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's 790 miles from Jo'burg to Cape Town. That would be like using the Empire State Building as the logo for Atlanta (about 750 miles).

daemon14 likes this.
  13. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    very true- is there a mountain range in Jo'Burg? That was all I could come up with as my guess...

14. Anderway

Anderway Member

Status Points:
    SYD-DBX = 7486m and 14.5 hours