The World’s Most Underrated Destinations

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/1...+-+Travel+stories+from+independent+travelers)

How popular a country is as a travel destination has as much to do with image as it has to do with how interesting a place is to visit or how accessible or affordable it is.

Some simply want to go somewhere because it looks nice, while others are drawn to specific locations – whether it’s Tuscany, India, or Mauritius – as the image presented by these destinations fits their own personal aspirations.

While popular tourist magnets, such as Australia or New Zealand, excel at self promotion, other equally deserving destinations fare less well in the image stakes; they may be a little of the beaten track, have suffered from poor leadership, or simply have failed to sufficiently promote their own attractions. Nevertheless, some of these less appreciated destinations have far more to offer curious independent travelers than their more adeptly promoted rivals.

Read More: http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/1...+-+Travel+stories+from+independent+travelers)

2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although not mentioned, I HIGHLY recommend Romania. If you like city living, Bucharest in spring or fall, if you like beach towns Constanta or Vama Veche in summer and Brasov in winter, if you ski. The exchange rate from UDS to RON (lei) is about 3.25RON to 1USD and prices all over the country are generally a little more reasonable then here.

daninstl likes this.
  3. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Their list is hit-and-miss, by my measures. I've been to each country at least twice, other than Armenia (just once). I'd say "yes, underrated" to Georgia and, to a lesser extent, Uzbekistan. Taiwan wasn't really of much interest (visited for work) and Tunisia was pleasant, but nothing special...other than the harrissa.

I did enjoy Romania. And if you think it's an interesting relative bargain now, I was there before and just after the fall of Nicolae Ceaușescu. US$20 would get you a grocery sack of lei that would cover all expenses for a week.

anileze, LETTERBOY and gregm like this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was way before they moved the decimal point several places!

anileze likes this.
  5. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am sure Uzbekistan is interesting but good luck finding menus in English and getting random assistance, the infra-structure is surely creaky like the other 'stans. I want to go there but I am prepared for the worst after traveling in both Kazakhstan and Kyrgystan.

Philippines can be gorgeous but unbelievably poor and the hotel / restaurant offerings outside Manila and the key tourist destinations is non-existent, unless of course a fine dining experience for you is Jollibee's ?

Georgia was fabulous (never made it to Armenia) tasty food and wonderful wines + a long history.

I have been to Taipei several times but never made it out of the city

Tunis is certainly nothing special but some of the other Tunisian cities are incredible (el Djem with its coliseum, Sfax with a great old souk, Gabes an oasis city on the edge of the Sahara, Kerkeneh Island where Hanibal was exiled) with the old souk areas, the Sahara and some of the best preserved Roman ruins anywhere. I traveled to Tunisko (as it is called in Eastern Europe) 6 times when I lived in Prague, it had an easy visa regime, low-priced hotels and is predominantly
    sunny most of the year.

Tunisia may be the most under-rated (it does help if you know some French), they filmed "The English Patient" there, the cuisine is a French-Arabic sort of fusion, there are ancient tribes that still live in caves and tattoo their faces, the Rouge Leopard (old luxury train) was still operating on my last visit and the hammam experience could easily outshine any Turkish bath treatment

+1 for Romania, one of my favorite places in Europe, I really like the Transylvania area around Cluj and Sigishoara. They too have some excellent cuisine and some quite decent wines.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    Mirror74 and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree but I do like parts of Tunis. The ruins and tourist sites are improving there since cruise ships port there. Oh they also filmed parts of Star Wars in Tunisia as well :) I would be a little worried about political stability there at times however.