The world’s largest airline has started phasing out first class on most planes as passenger demand d

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Newscience, Aug 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    The world’s largest airline has started phasing out first class on most planes as passenger demand dwindles

Mary Schlangenstein, Bloomberg News | August 22, 2014 |

"Three-class cabins on international jets, once a hallmark of passenger pampering, are dwindling at the world’s largest carrier.

Waning customer interest in the costliest tickets prompted American Airlines to drop first class as it adds seats to its 47 long-haul Boeing Co. 777-200s. The aircraft will get new lie-flat business seats — plusher than coach, but lacking first- class flourishes such as pajamas, slippers and an amuse-bouche."

Read the article here:

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/08/22/american-airlines-tickets-first-class/

jbcarioca, blackjack-21 and uggboy like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So...they turn themselves into US Air Envoy?

jbcarioca, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you usually fly First class? :)

daninstl, Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not news, since the old AA announced this IIRC more than a year ago. Anyway airlines from all over the world have been doing this for years. Many airlines that once were noted for outstanding F eliminated it some years ago. KL has no F at all; CX, SQ, BA, LH and many others have F limited only to very large long-haul aircraft. We need not think of DL, US and so many others that have no F at all even though they keep the F code for the short haul domestic flight business class.

I wish AA could retain more F, but at least applaud the upgraded services of the F they've retained with pajamas etc.

Yes, where it is available I do fly F.:) These days that it AF, EK and LH for me, since JJ has also eliminated F. The JJ F was one I liked and the cabin was always full when I flew it, but there were only four F seats on their A330's.

Even though I personally fly F when available I understand the poor economics of the service on most routes for most airlines.

anabolism, iolaire, viAAjero and 2 others like this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually do if I can or it's available. I don't mind a business class type product as long as the seat is good on domestic and good for sleeping on long hauls. :rolleyes:

anabolism, jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  6. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long as the seats are lie-flat and service/catering is okay, I'm a happy camper when it comes to US carriers.

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you ask to have meal service while lying flat? ;)

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

LOL, I have snacked while lying flat! :eek:

jbcarioca, Newscience and ACMM like this.
  9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any reason why QR is not on that list?

Just wondering since we depart in business on QR tonight...

jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're not on my list because they slipped my mind.:oops: They're said to have wonderful business class and spectacular first where they have it, but they do not fly from my home city so I haven't had the pleasure myself.

iolaire and Newscience like this.
  11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also old news, but not only is AA eliminating true F on the vast majority of its fleet, the F that will remain is quite small: 8 seats total (on the 773). Of course, CX F (also on the 773) is down to 6 seats total, with the retirement of the 747.

Newscience likes this.