The World’s Five Best Cheap Meals

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by sobore, Nov 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/14/the-world-s-five-best-cheap-meals.html

I never used to focus on street food as I traveled. Meals were a necessity of course, but not the intense source of learning that they have become in my years of moving around the globe. I started my travels in South America, but it wasn’t until I made it to China that I began to plan my days around my taste buds. While each city has its higher-end restaurants, I prefer to focus on the cheaper places: the markets and street stalls and tiny restaurants tucked into someone’s living room. Not only are they a wonderful scene of chaos and color, but as a traveler you are afforded a chance to observe the movement and patterns of local culture while eating. My favorite spots to view the world are from the vantage point of a tiny plastic food-stall table at the side of the road.
    Not only is street-side eating fascinating, but it’s cost effective, too. Here are some of my memorable cheap meals:

[​IMG]

1. Chicken, Noodle, and Garlic Soup in Luang Prabang, Laos
    This soup was my first meal in Laos after a hectic border crossing from Thailand, and consisted of a simple but rich broth, perfectly tender chicken, and curls of fried garlic. Soup might not be everyone’s breakfast of choice, but cooked with such complementary flavors it was hard to resist. I bought it at a tiny stand near the Nam Ou river, the blue tablecloths catching my eye as I wandered past the stall. Cost: $0.80

Read More: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/14/the-world-s-five-best-cheap-meals.html

paladin87, Jett Rink, doc and 3 others like this.
  2. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Grateful that I need to visit my in laws as it opened up a whole new world of street food in SEA. We rarely eat elsewhere. Even when it is a family event.

Mapsmith and sobore like this.
  3. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    A plate of tacos al pastor belongs on that list somewhere...

4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMEN !! (+ numerous other street eats)

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    A risk aversion to street food peddlers, Jett Rink has. :eek: The root may stem to talk about the olde Chili Queens of San Antonio as to the substitutions for meat, I think. :D

Mapsmith likes this.
  6. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cat, the other white meat.

7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    How many likes can I put on a comment.
    Street Tacos, that are Hot and spicy.