The word is out.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TravelBear, Mar 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even in my most infantile state of being a points collector the word is getting out where I work and people are somewhat surreptitiously approaching me and asking me which credit card they should be getting to get miles. Although I have yet to cash in big on any awards I have reported some minor savings and helped one of my coworkers to at least save around $600 on 3 flights to Europe this summer(not much, I know). I really tried to convince her those UR points had better value but she was happy with the cash savings. Go figure.

While I have not heard any derisive comments regarding my new found hobby I am sure some think I am off. There have been a few somewhat surprised looks when I tell them I am going to "a seminar" in April that is about points/miles. Overall my coworkers have been at least superficially supportive.

Now to get my partner on board with a couple of cc applications of his own.

2. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    TB, you're the smartest guy in that group. Even the old timers on MP and FT learn new tricks all the time. I remember the first time I heard a throwaway statement about the AA program. May have been throwaway to them, but it was an oh my moment to me.

3. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see a blog in your future loaded with affiliate links...congrats. :p

4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    TB tell me about it haha. I'm in the same boat as you. I just came back from my 2wk asia trip & ppl asked how i flew J and how much everything cost, their jaws drop. They want to know more etc. But once I mention credit card sign up; everyone backs off and goes "oh that ruins your credit ... bad ... blah"

I try to convince them otherwise ... but we'll see. Esp now that I just booked my RTW in J using miles & staying 13 nights w/o spending a single dollar ;) I might have to bring a mop when I tell them that story.

5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been telling friends and family how to travel for cheap/free and offering to help them do it for years. But I always leave it to them to take some initiative. I'll advise them, but they have to want it enough to call me/email me back. I have found that most people won't bother. Fortunately I am helping two couples take free flights. the rest seem to forget about our conversations. If folks aren't willing to take a little initiative at the start, they'll never follow through on all the work that will follow.

6. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many people have poor credit from being late on payments because they forgot to pay a bill or two , they will not qualify for a new card so when they hear credit card sign up they make other excuses

7. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me, this whole miles, points and credit card thing is just an off shoot of my bad case of wanderlust. At first, upon returning from a trip, I would talk about it to everyone. Then, I realized that most people were some how put off by my talk. Now, I save it for those that seem interested. And most people I meet on the road are open to compairing information. It is the same for talking about FF miles. I can always come to this forum to chat it up with you all.

8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well seen. :D

SuperKirby, flyingdawg and 8MiHi like this.
  9. chadgibbs

chadgibbs Active Member

Status Points:
    Or they already have $15,000 in cc debt.

SuperKirby and flyingdawg like this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    .....or all of a sudden they don't have the money anymore to service them all.

flyingdawg likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This happens faster than you / we might think. It's not funny IMHO.

flyingdawg and Max M like this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good for you. Safe travels.

flyingdawg and edekba like this.
  13. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not seeing this happen anytime soon. I barely know how to get an avatar pic loaded much less create a blog entry with pics that have circles and red arrows....which btw I appreciate, and is not meant to be a slight against current bloggers.

I agree, I sometimes limit who I share my travel stories with. People at work already think I am made of money. Not true!

14. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good, I was getting worried you would start blogging about Asheville and get even more tourists to come visit us and learn our secrets. ;)

15. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of us know your secrets and that's why we stay away from Asheville! :p

16. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
  17. chadgibbs

chadgibbs Active Member

Status Points:
    No, it's not funny at all (couldn't tell if you thought I was joking about it or not)

I do think it's a reason some friends and family seem cool to the points game when you tell them about it. Isn't the average American household with cc debt around 15K under?

SuperKirby likes this.
  18. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    CC churn is a game for disciplined people. I would not encourage common folks to jump in with both feet. One has to figure out the actual useful spend they can make for the cards that they want to apply for, not spend for the sake of making a spend and then being in debt. Other thing is the ability to pay off the debt every month when it becomes due, or maybe before it becomes due. Average people are better off just watching from the sidelines, rather than emulating us; and we would be better off not encouraging them. It could get an otherwise sane person into some real trouble with their credit score and with a big debt in no time. The adrenaline rush to collect the bonus points is a strong incentive to go hog wild and charge things that one may not be able to afford. So, I don't go around advertising my travel habits to people who would either think less of me because they can't match my discipline, or be jealous at seeing me taking off for different destinations. The tribal knowledge is better shared with and appreciated by our award traveling fraternity.

SuperKirby, flyingdawg, 8MiHi and 2 others like this.
  19. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:

First thing I tell anyone is this is NOT about using cc to keep balances. Most of the time they are looking for "the best" cc that they will be quite happy with earning points at a slightly accelerated rate. Say, 2x over 1x. Plus, I don't just ever just say, apply for x number of cards. I tell them we need to sit down and talk about it, so they can figure out how they want to proceed. So far most have not met with me for a consultation.

20. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is an excellent approach. A 'guru' would sit on the mountain top and wait for the seekers to climb up to him. In the 'post working life' scenario, CC bonuses, methods with a limited run - coin purchase, or VR card purchase, passive activity and miles/points from modest spends are the only ways to 'keep the balances'. Under those conditions, new CC bonuses do become a significant source for keeping balances. Gone are the days of accruing points/miles through business travel with all its perks and higher personal spends. Different phases of life require a focus on different ways to stay loaded.

flyingdawg likes this.
  21. mapenn

mapenn Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were an average household with quite a bit of accumulated debt, so I can understand the skepticism. It took several years of hard work and sacrifice to get out from underneath it. Now, it is nice to be on the other side and "use" our good credit for our benefit. Playing with credit cards is a game I would not advise to anybody for fear that it would lead into debt. I don't really talk much about it with my friends/family because of this.

22. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on getting to the other side!!

flyingdawg likes this.
  23. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. None of my friends who approached me have ever sat down to talk about it further.

24. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had this same experience. They always say, "wow, that sounds so amazing I would love to learn more." Then they never follow up!

25. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had a few friends who are interested but after a few questions they realize they aren't cut out to do this - they love their debit card, don't want to do the math, etc. I'm always available and saved a friend recently from paying 55k domestic tix that she was going to buy 20k points to top off instead of the $400 cash fare!
    in Philly we have a small travel group that meets -monthly -a mix of points people, travel bloggers and general travelers which makes chats interesting. Even there some refuse to have credit cards and don't care about points - some were traveling w/o FF accounts never getting credit for flights/stays!
    I just started a travel blog and post my travels made possible by my points so my friends have a reference if they want more info - starting with my month in South Africa/Botswana - this way they can see some of the benefits of points even if a hotel C&P award