The Westin Sendai

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Oct 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just did a quick search for this and could only find earthquake stuff, so here is a brief review.

I live about ten minutes away from this hotel, and it's the only Starwood property for hundreds of kilometers.

Unfortunately it's category 5, so nowhere near a good mattress run destination.

It is a very nice hotel though, enough that my wife and I like to come here occasionally to get away. We've stayed here three times, booking a club room each time (no SPG status).

Tonight I'm here on my own, booked into the cheapest room for the last night of a platinum challenge. This is my first SPG stay as a gold, and the hotel upgraded my room to a deluxe (almost a shame, as I was hoping to see the cheapest rooms, but I'm not complaining) and gave me a 4pm checkout without me having to ask.

The good
    It's a lovely hotel, great views, still pretty new, very central location, good staff. Breakfast was good the last three times, and the lounge is pleasant and quiet.

The bad
    It's expensive. Er, that's about it. Had lunch at the restaurant just after it opened and wasn't impressed (felt like we were paying for the view more than for the food). Parking felt expensive.

Overall
    A great hotel, losing out by a whisker to the St. Regis in Osaka in my wife's eyes. I love staying here, and will do so every chance I get. If anyone ends up in Sendai, drop me a line: I can recommend stuff or maybe even show you around :D

jupper and canucklehead like this.
  2. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    How much is the parking? 1,000 yen a day?

3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    1500 :eek:

4. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    The minibar is also surprisingly reasonable (although I never use the minibar and you shouldn't need to at this hotel as there are half a dozen convenience stores within 500m of the hotel): less than 100% markup :p

5. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    A Westin in Sendai before Fukuoka.....the shame !:p Looks like a nice hotel.........do they offer local-jin discounts?

6. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Ouch!

7. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that I'm aware of... is that normal?

8. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    They commissioned it before the financial crash and built it before the earthquake... someone must be kicking themselves now :p

9. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes when things are not going so well (room sales-wise) they offer discounts to card carrying locals.

10. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just had my first stay here as a Plat -it was surprisingly anticlimactic :(

There was a cheap rate (11,000 yen) so had a one-night stay here with my wife (staycation?).This is one of our favourite hotels, and definitely our favourite in Sendai.

Now, I have never seen the suites at this place available online, so I wasn't expecting a suite upgrade (but it would have been great!). As it was, we were upgraded to a Deluxe King on the 31st floor (the same upgrade I got as a gold). A bit of a letdown, but nice to see they take good care of their golds too. We also got Plat amenity (500 points, $5 credit, fruit platter, or champagne in restaurant. Took the points, of course ;)), access to Lounge, free internet, and buffet breakfast in the restaurant.

We were also offered turndown service, which hasn't happened before (although we may just have checked in too late to get it). It is available between 17:30 and 20:00. They came in and smoothed the bed down, replaced water and toiletries, and generally tidied up.

One of the many things I like about this hotel is the fact that they give you a complimentary bottle of water for each guest. Add in turndown and you get two bottles per guest :D

So basically I still love this hotel, but they aren't going to do anything mindblowing for Plats on cheap rates :rolleyes:

Extremely solid and probably the best place to stay in Sendai, unless you need to be located in another part of the city or price is an issue.

Amazing value for 11,000 yen though :)

11. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    So to summarize the elite benefits:

Gold: room upgrade, late checkout (4pm)
    Plat: as above, plus lounge access, breakfast, free Internet, plat amenity

Not bad ;)

12. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sounds all very normal and as per their benefits. Free parking would be nice benefit for Plats!

13. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree. I've mentioned it a couple of times, but they say the parking is a separate entity so no go :(

14. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    be careful what you ask for -- they may institute a Resort fee as to offer free parking! :eek:

15. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Avoid mentioning the R word like the plague!

sendaiben and canucklehead like this.