The Westin Osaka

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Aug 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another five minute write-up :D

The Westin Osaka, 'near' Osaka Station, is actually about a kilometre away. It is reached by an arcane path though tunnels, over bridges, and through the maze that is the station. It's about a fifteen minute walk, and I don't recommend trying it if you have luggage or a bad sense of direction (my iPhone got me there, basically).

I stayed here for one night, and was relatively impressed.

Good: stunning building, large and nice room (especially for the price), excellent cafe with stunning food nearby

Bad: very inconvenient location (there isn't much nearby, and it's a trek to public transport), room seemed kind of worn, bad pillows and bedding, checkout slow and awkward, staff slightly stiff

Basically it would be good to stay for staying's sake (romantic getaway?), but there are probably better places if you also want to be doing things around the city. I will probably go back here and take my wife next time :)

uggboy likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't this hotel provide scheduled shuttle bus service to/from the side of Osaka station? IIRC I've seen some bus or sign there labeled for this hotel. Most of the other hotels in the category seem to provide the service, generally free and with priority for hotel guests (over those using the restaurants, etc.).

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    A bus service from the station would be fabulous indeed!;)

Have seen the building on photos plus on the Starwood website, seems like a very commanding and interesting hotel to me! Thanks for sharing your experiences and insights!:)

Does the Westin Osaka comes recommended?:confused:

4. AMRivlin
    Original Member

AMRivlin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can confirm the shuttle exists (as of 2010). I can't recall the schedule, but there is a shuttle and I have used it to meet the Tokyo bound Shinkansen.

The hotel is slightly older but it is still very nice and in a great location to visit temples on the East side of the city and only a 15 min walk to the City Centre. The west side of town requires a car/taxi/bus.

We had dinner in their hot pot (shabu shabu) restaurant and it said 50% off, our bill was still 8000 yen (100 USD) so I would hate to pay full price haha.

uggboy likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are several floors of restaurants in the shopping mall above Osaka station, so taking the shuttle gives you lots of dinner options. Most have either plastic models of food or pictures and English on the menu (or both), so it's easy even if you don't know Japanese (which is harder to manage than in Tokyo or tourist areas like Kyoto).

uggboy likes this.
  6. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, depending on your purpose :D

On business, want easy access to stuff, Sheraton might be better. Romantic getaway, just want to take it easy, recommended. Tourist visit, want to see many things in short time, maybe no?

MSPeconomist and uggboy like this.
  7. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick update: I had a one night stay here in February 2013 on business. I arrived quite late (21:00) and left fairly early (8:00) so the bare minimum occupancy from me. I am a platinum member with SPG, so the following review reflects that.

The hotel is a short walk from Osaka station (8 minutes or so -look for the tunnel that leads to the hotel, otherwise you have to walk the long way around like I did) and is situated in a very impressive building.

The good
    An upgrade to a nice executive room (but no suite upgrade unfortunately)
    Good toiletries (including a great schick razor -I presume this is some kind of cross-marketing effort but very much appreciated)
    Two bottles of complimentary water
    Fast wired Internet
    Club lounge with nice views with breakfast, evening drinks, etc (continental breakfast in main restaurant or full buffet for +500 yen)
    The lounge breakfast very impressive: salad, bacon, breads, cereal
    Pyjamas!
    Great shower and water pressure
    Two newspapers -one in the evening on arrival and another in the morning

The bad
    The hotel is a bit far from the station. I think there is a complimentary shuttle but it doesn't seem worth it. At the same time, it seems a bit isolated.
    Bathroom was a bit small and had no windows -slightly cramped feel
    The front desk staff, while very efficient, were completely unsmiling when I checked in and out

Overall
    This is a very solid hotel. I stayed here last year with no status and wasn't as impressed, so this may be a case of them treating plats particularly well. I will certainly be back -have a stay booked for April.