The Westin Memphis Beale Steet Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by cvarming, Feb 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I went to Memphis last weekend and decided to try the Westin.

The Westin is located downtown across from the FexEx stadium and a Gibson guitar factory. There is a restaurant on the ground floor and a Starbucks around the corner. We didn't try the restaurant as we decided to check out the options on Main st, Beale St, and Union Ave instead.

The staff was friendly and nice. The hotel was clean and it is clear that the hotel is of a recent date. We arrived at 9pm and quickly checked in on a Birth-Year rate for three nights. The lady checking us in calculated the wrong rate and sent us on our way to the SPG (fifth) floor. Half the rooms in this hotel must face Beale Steet. This was no problem for us as it was 50 degrees outside and thus the bars didn't use outside seating, but in the spring, summer, and fall I would imagine that these rooms are subjected to the noise of hundreds of happy drunk people.

Room: The room was reasonable sized with a king bed, a lazy chair, a desk with a chair, and a 32" flat TV. The bathroom was nice with a glass shower cabin separate from the bathtub.

Parking: The Westin has a deal with the garage next door. Valet parking is $24 and self-park with in-out privileges is $18.75 per day. On weekdays you can park in the garage for $5 without in-out privileges, but in the weekends the garage will post the price of the day ($5, $10, or $15) at 6am. If there is a game at the FedEx stadium you will most likely pay $15. Also if you are in the garage at 6am you will have to pay yesterday's fee plus today's fee. The lost ticket fee is $15 so that is often a good option. Street parking is free between Friday 6pm and Monday 8am, but everyone seems to know this and it can be very difficult to find a spot. If you cannot find street parking in the weekend then you can try "Parking can be fun" on Union Ave. They had a $3 weekend special when we were there.

Internet: Every room has a wired internet connection. The slow (256k) connection cost $7 for 24 hours and a faster connection cost $13 for 24 hours.

There is live jazz in the lobby every Wednesday and Friday evening. We arrived Friday evening at 9pm and the music sounded nice. It was at a comfortable level were we could easily talk to the front desk employee and each other.

On a final note, four times during our visit we received a wrong restaurant bill, so check your bill before you pay. This also happened with the bill from the Westin. Upon checking in the lady overshoot our Birth-Year rate by over $20 per day. I noticed this on the last day and mentioned it before breakfast. Upon checking out we received a correct bill.

2. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the write-up. Do you happen to have any pictures of the room?

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  3. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately not, but I would say that the hotel looks like you would expect of any modern Westin. I think we were in a standard room on the SPG floor. The room was reasonable sized with a king bed, a lazy chair, a desk with chair, and a 32" flat TV. The bathroom was nice with a glass shower cabin separate from the bathtub.

flyingdawg, rharrigill and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great and insightful review!:)

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent review from cvarming !

I would add a couple of notes from my recent stay. The hotel is 9 floors. Unfortunately, I didn't get upgraded on a week night stay when the property was obviously no where near booked up. Still charge for internet :rolleyes:. The hotel is only about 7 blocks or so from the downtown baseball stadium.