The W St. Petersburg is Rather Pretty But Rather Expensive Too

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by uggboy, May 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fortunately, it's a Cat5 property! Peak Season awards this year are today through June 30, 2011. The Hotel Offers page advertises an opening offer starting at RUB 7999 (US$288), but I've not stumbled on any dates at that price until the fall. (It's been open for about a month, though, so it might've had those rates earlier.) The rates for that opening offer on 5/11/2011 start at RUB 13,999, and the AAA and Senior rates start at RUB 35,000. Clearly, their rates are not configured right.

For the same time next year (Wed, 5/9/2012), I see rates at RUB 8000 with corporate rates for less. And no Peak Season award periods have been declared yet for 2012.

I see suites bookable on some dates this summer for RUB 45K. Add 18% occupancy tax to all of these cash prices.

What credentials are required for booking the Government rate of RUB 11K? ;)

uggboy likes this.
  3. NJUPINTHEAIR
    Original Member

NJUPINTHEAIR Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have followed Russian hotel prices for some time now as I have been planning a trip there -- so far unfulfilled -- and it seems that you are always better using points than paying for the hotels -- unless you are on business, that is!

Marriott properties top off at Category 6 and seem to be a good deal when compared to the nightly rates. Thus, I am not surprised that the W St. Pete similarly offers good point redemption value.

I was even thinking of using my 25% off promotion from last year, some time during the month of July when not in high season, but my spouse will be traveling then.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just posted this on FlyerTalk and thought I'd share it with my MP friends:

Getting ready to check-out after a two night stay - then off to our cruise ship to begin that portion of the trip. We were booked Cash and Points which made it a very reasonable stay.

I guess I just don't get it. I like cool but not to the exclusion of function and good sense. Even tho the hotel and city are full for the European Economic Conference, as a Platinum, I got upgraded to a lovely suite. Our friends, also with a reward stay but with no status, were in an entry level room. I know I have been spoiled but their room was more like a closet! And neither room had any drawers - it's a hotel for crying out loud! Do they think it would spolt the image? Hard to fathom a hotel that costs so much and living out of ones suitcase!

The staff was sweet but minimally professional. So many little things - try to find a comfortable chair in the Living Room. Go to the front desk and ask them to provide change of a large Ruble note and they can't. The location, right next to St Isaac's Church, is excellent.

As Platinum, we were proactively given breakfast certificates. Host at the restaurant was really not sure what that got us so we told her it was Continental breakfast. The breakfast was OK but most certainly not something special.

In the end, it worked for us tho I can't imagine our friends could possibly enjoy that room. Confirms the value of status to me and the hoops I go thru to maintain it. And confirms that I'm just not a W guy!

SC Flier likes this.