The Virtual Hotel Concierge

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by legalalien, Jun 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tuesday's New York Times: http://nyti.ms/joid5A

While not strictly about tech toys we bring along, this is an article about tech toys hotels provide for us. What's your take?

2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Meh. I think the one neat feature is being able to put in a request to a concierge via email. If you are very busy and don't want to have to make a call down to the desk I could see that being useful. Though with that said, how does this help me more than what I can get from my phone? So I can look up restraunt reviews that have been sorted out by the concierge on a big computer in the lobby now? Why is that one person's review (or worse yet paid advertisement) better than the 100s of potential reviews I could find on Yelp for example. I kind of wish hotels would focus the money they are spending on this to giving out free/fast internet or create a better in room experience.

legalalien likes this.
  3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    My sentiment exactly. At least a human can direct me to a cluster of restaurants if I am not sure what exactly I want. Virtual concierges aren't good even for that.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the article:

"And all Hyatt hotels let guests send requests, via Twitter, to customer service agents who are on call 24 hours a day."

Really? All Hyatt hotels have twitter-enabled customer service agents, or Hyatt Corporate/Gold Passport has a central twitter team? Makes a difference, IMO. And in any case, what's wrong with email -- why should I use a proprietary 140 char solution when open standards solutions like email exist? (that's a general rant, I guess... I don't understand why companies can't provide better support via email).