The Vegetarian Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Tkey, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Post your favorite vegetarian recipes here! Doesn't matter what level of vegetarian you are, from "I do in fact eat fish" to "I don't eat anything that casts a shadow". All are welcome.

Nota bene: I am not, but am now cooking for one who can be finicky. Also, my own recipes contain very few instructions and are open for wide interpretation. That's just how I cook. ;)

Recent additions to my vegetarian repertoire:

vegan root vegetable tourrine:

Neatly layered white potatoes, turnips and parsnips, a good drizzle of olive oil on every layer with lots of sage, s+p. Top with thinly sliced shallots. Roast covered at 400 until barely fork tender. Uncover and brown to desired crispiness. A nice simple dish to get things rolling.

2. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Scallion Pancake
    2.5 Cup All purpose flour
    1 Cup boiling water
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 Cup cold water
    About 3 Tbsp veggie oil
    Chop up 3 scallion
    frying oil

Add salt & hot water into flour, little by little and mix. Then add cold water and mix.
    Knead until smooth.
    Oil a bowl and leave the dough there, covered. Rest for 45 minutes to an hour.
    Cut the dough into 7-8 portions.
    Roll 1 piece into a large and thin circle.
    Dab a little oil on the surface. You can also substitute with melted lard or butter.
    Spread about a teaspoon of chopped scallion on top.
    Roll the dough up into cigar shape. Then roll the cigar tightly into a snake coil. Seal any opening.
    Chill the coil until the rest are done.
    Repeat with the rest of the dough.
    Take one coil out, flatten it and roll into a thin circle. The thinner, the cripsier it'll be.
    Repeat with all coil
    Heat oil in a pan & fry each side of the pancake until it's cripsy.

3. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    This spicy lentil salad is always a hit at potlucks...with everyone.
    1 lb lentils (i prefer the french green/black, though you could use the standard brown--texture will be different)
    1 peeled onion
    6 cloves
    2 large carrots, quartered
    2t oregano (use 3 if fresh)
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1-2 bay leaf
    2/3 cup toasted pine nuts
    1/4-1/2 cups chopped cilantro
    1/2 to 1 cup crumbled feta
    6 (or more) sliced scallions
    1 habanero chile, minced (or 3 serano, or jalepeno or 2 thai...whatever heat you like)
    balsamic vinegar
    olive oil
    cherry tomatoes---but only if very ripe (I leave them out of the salad out of season)

Stick the cloves in the onion. Put it in a saucepan, add the lentils, and cover them with water. Put in the carrots, garlic, oregano & bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Check the lentils---you want them cooked, but not mushy---they should still look like lentils. Depending on age, this could take 25 minutes, 40 minutes, 30 minutes. (some cook fast!). When cooked, drain the lentils, and toss away the veggies.
    Let the lentils cool a bit, either in the strainer or a bowl. Mix the oil and vinegar to taste, and pour over the lentils. (I usually use 1/3 cup oil and about a 1/2 vinegar, but I like it tart. Use whatever proportions you use for a salad dressing). Pour over the lentils and toss gently. Gently mix in the other ingredients, and chill the salad until you're ready to serve it.
    You can add more or less feta, more scallions, fewer pine nuts, it's a very forgiving salad. The only thing you can't do is make it less spicy, so add the peppers carefully.

edited to correct the oil/vinegar ratio. I had them reversed, which gives a milder dressing.

4. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Scallion Pancake sounds good.

jbcarioca and miles and smiles like this.
  5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Simple Masala

1/3 cup canola oil
    1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions (about 2 medium)
    2T. chopped garlic
    1 1/2c. chopped tomatoes (I've used canned and fresh. Both work well, but my preference is the fresh).
    1/2t. turmeric
    2t. ground cumin
    1t. coriander
    1 1/2t. salt
    1/2t. cayenne pepper
    1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained.
    1 to 2 cups water

Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot on medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until browned, about 3 more minutes. Stir in tomatoes, then add turmeric, cumin, coriander, salt and cayenne. Turn down the heat to medium and sauté, stirring regularly, until the oil separates from this Masala mixture. This means the spices are cooked through and the "stock" for your curry is made.
    So that you don't waste this Masala, add the chickpeas and enough water to make a curry with a consistency you prefer. (Adding all the water will make a soupy curry.) Stir well, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes. Your basic curry is ready to eat.

6. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    A little manchego cheese on top at the final browning is excellent for those who eat such things! (Watch the salt if you add the cheese---the cheese might add a bit too much salty flavor)

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been eating a lot of vegetable soup this winter.
    chop up a carrot
    chop up a parsnip(leave out the carrot or parsnip if you don't like "sweet". use one or the other)
    chop up an onion (i sometimes use two leeks)
    chop up a couple celery stalks
    saute 'em in olive oil or butter til soft. (5-10 minutes)
    add a couple cloves of chopped garlic
    add a diced chile (jalapeno, serrano, whatever you like) --optional
    add some salt, pepper, rosemary, dill, whatever flavors you like. I sometimes put in chile powder (ancho), too. You could look at an Indian cookbook for some ideas, if you want to go that way ---or italian.
    cook for another 5 or so minutes.
    add some "hard" vegetables---diced potato, parsnip, saute some more. I sometimes put in a chayote squash at this point. And mushrooms. Chopped cabbage.
    cook for 5 more minutes.
    Pour in a cup of wine, 4 cups of broth, a cup of water. Or more broth. More wine, More water. If i'm lazy, i used a carton of veg STOCK, not broth. Low sodium/no salt added.I like it more "stew-y", so I stick with about 6 cups liquid.
    Add a can (or two) of chopped tomatoes. I like fire roasted, no salt added.
    simmer for half an hour.
    Add some "soft" veggies. I like kale. sometimes more mushrooms. Green beans, chopped.Chopped parsley is nice. Cilantro, sometimes.
    simmer for another half hour.
    Season to taste. You might think it needs more salt, especially if you used the no salt versions of broth and tomatoes. I'd rather put it in at the end or at the table.

Sometimes I add a tablespoon of Vegemite or miso midway. In that case, do watch the salt.

If you want non-veggie, stick in some chicken when you add the liquids. I like skinned, but bone-in chicken breasts. They should be cooked by the time you add the "soft" veggies.

8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Corn pancakes with red pepper. (Seriously easy)

1 box of Jiify or similar corn bread mix.
    1 red pepper

Simply mix the corn bread as directed in a bowl.
    Chop pepper into bite size pieces.
    Add pepper to mix.
    Simply cook as a pancake in a skillet with a little oil.
    Fry on both sides until golden.

That’s it and it comes out great!

9. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, joanek, nothing from a cow. Sheep/goat things are okay in my alter world.

My sis has a killer vegetable soup recipe similar to yours. I'll enjoy combining the two.

10. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're in luck---it's made from the milk of Manchega sheep. Spanish.

And I look forward to hearing about your soup success!

jbcarioca, miles and smiles and k2o like this.
  11. inukshuk
    Original Member

inukshuk Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sounds really yummy. I'm going to try it.

Does anyone have a good recipe for Palak Paneer? I have a couple of vegetarian friends who really like it.

12. jneugeba
    Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forced flexitarian since the first of the year here for health reasons, so I'm still figuring this all out. But so far, this has been one of my favorites. It is from Lidia B.

Rice and Butternut Squash

2 pounds butternut squash
    1 cup onion, cut in to 1-inch chunks
    1 cup carrot, cut into 1-inch chunks
    1 cup celery , cut into 1-inch chunks
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    5 cups hot water, plus more if needed
    2 cups Italian short-grain rice, such as Arborio or Carnaroli

For Finishing
    2 teaspoons butter, cut in pieces
    ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated, plus more for passing

[​IMG]
    Trim, peel, and remove seeds from the squash. Cut it into 1/2-inch cubes-you should have about 4 cups.

Using a food processor, mince the onion, carrot, and celery chunks to a fine-textured paste (pestata).

Put the olive oil and butter in a large heavy saucepan and set over medium heat. When the butter is melted, scrape in the pestata and season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook the pestata for about 5 minutes, stirring it around the bottom of the pan, until it has dried out and just begins to stick.

Pour in the hot water or stock, and bring to a boil. Drop in the cubes of squash, then all the rice, stirring, and remaining salt. Return the liquid to the boil, cover the pan, and reduce the heat to keep the riso bubbling gently. Cook for about 14 minutes, or until both the rice and the squash are fully cooked and the consistency is creamy (see box).

Turn off the heat, drop in the butter pieces, and stir vigorously until thoroughly amalgamated. Stir in the 1/2 cup of grated cheese, spoon the riso into warm pasta bowls, and serve immediately, passing additional grated cheese at the table.

jbcarioca, miles and smiles and k2o like this.
  13. Beer !

jbcarioca and k2o like this.
  14. jneugeba
    Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh sad, I had to give that up too. :(

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jneugeba
    Original Member

jneugeba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is another Lidia recipe (can you tell what cookbook I'm cooking my way through..) Leave out the bacon if you don't want it.

Rice & Lentils

serves: 8 or more

Lentils and rice are one of my favorite combinations. I fondly recall savoring a dish just like this often as a child; it was comforting and nurturing. It can be enjoyed in many ways: make it dense like risotto or add more liquid to make it soupy. Just rice and lentils are delicious and simple, but you could easily add a few sausages or pork ribs to the pot to make quite a festive main dish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 ounces pancetta or bacon, cut in pieces
    1 cup onion, cut in 1-inch chunks
    1 cup carrot, cut in 1-inch chunks
    1 cup celery , cut in 1-inch chunks
    6 fresh sage leaves
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    2 tablespoons butter
    ½ cup dry white wine
    10 cups hot water
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1½ cups lentils, rinsed and picked over
    1½ cups Italian short-grain rice, such as Arborio, Canaroli, or Vialone Nano
    1 cup scallion, chopped
    ½ cup Grana Padano, grated, plus more for passing

[​IMG]
    Food Processor;
    [​IMG]
    Drop the pancetta or bacon pieces into the food-processor bowl, and pulse several times, to chop the meat into small bits. Scrape all the chopped pancetta right into the heavy saucepan. Put the onion, carrot, and celery chunks and the sage leaves into the empty food-processor bowl, and mince together into a fine-textured pestata. Put the butter and olive oil into the saucepan with the minced pancetta, and set over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, as the butter melts and the fat starts to render. When the pancetta is sizzling, scrape in the vegetable pestata, and stir it around the pan until it has dried and begins to stick, 4 minutes or so. Clear a space on the pan bottom, and drop in the tomato paste, toast it in the hot spot for a minute, then stir together with the pestata. Raise the heat, pour in the white wine, and cook, stirring, until the wine has almost completely evaporated. Pour in 8 cups of hot water and the tablespoon salt, stir well, and heat to the boil. (Add all 10 cups of hot water if you want to serve the rice and lentils as a thick soup rather than a denser riso.) Cover the pan, and reduce the heat slightly, to keep the water at a moderate boil, and let it bubble for 20 minutes or so, to develop the flavors. Stir in the lentils, return to a gentle boil, and cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils just start to soften, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the rice, return to a bubbling simmer, and cook, cover ajar, until the rice is al dente, 13 minutes or so. If the dish is thickening more than you like, lower the heat and cover the pan completely. If it seems too thin and wet, remove the cover and cook at a faster boil. When the rice and lentils are fully cooked, turn off the heat. Stir in the scallions and grated cheese.

Serve in warm bowls, passing more cheese at the table.

16. Would you prefer Mangos and Bananas ?

17. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    And some ice cream, thanks

18. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    With some chocolate on top?

19. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes please [​IMG]

20. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    sorry, all out [​IMG]

21. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love Indian food...found this recipe and could not believe how good just tomatoes with good spices could taste!

Tomato Curry

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    ½ tsp mustard seeds
    ½ tsp fennel seeds
    ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
    ½ tsp cumin seeds
    2 medium white onions, chopped
    6 ripe tomatoes, chopped (about 2 ½ cups)
    ½ tsp ground turmeric
    Chopped green chili pepper, or chili powder, to taste
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    Salt to taste
    Sugar or sweetener to taste

Heat oil, add mustard seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds. When mustard seeds begin to pop, add onions and cook several minutes, stirring, until they have softened. Add tomatoes, turmeric, chili, and garlic. Add salt if desired. Cook uncovered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. A rich, deep flavor will develop, Sprinkle some regular or brown sugar or sweetener if desires, to reduce the sometimes bitter taste of tomatoes. Then enjoy!

22. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    GARLICKY STEWED WHITE BEANS WITH MIXED PEPPERS

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 chopped green pepper
    1 chopped yellow or red pepper
    4 cloves garlic
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper (or to taste)
    ½ cup water
    ¼ teaspoon sage
    2 cans cannellini beans (white kidney beans) rinsed and drained
    1 can diced tomatoes, or 1 large fresh tomato, diced
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper

Heat olive oil in large, deep skillet. Add bell peppers, red pepper, and garlic, cook about 5 minutes, stirring, until tender. Stir in tomatoes, water, beans, and sage, bring t a boil. Reduce heat, simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with black pepper and serve.

23. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    Somebody asked for a Palak Paneer recipe...here's an easy but good one...enjoy!

Palak Paneer

1 ½ cups vegetable oil
    7oz cubed paneer cheese
    3 tomatoes, sliced
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
    1 tsp salt
    14oz spinach leaves

Heat the oil, add cubed paneer and cook until it begins to brown
    Add the tomatoes and stir fry for about 5 minutes
    Add the cumin, chili powder, and salt and mix
    Add spinach and stir fry over low heat for 7-10 minutes

24. Tkey
    Original Member

Tkey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quick 'n' easy white bean dip - is more luxurious than it seems for a fast hors d'vour

1 can white beans
    couple cloves garlic
    herbs d' provence
    s+p
    roasted red peppers

chop in the food processor and add olive oil until smooth to your liking. mix in the chopped roasted red peppers (don't want the whole blend to turn red). serve with a crusty french bread.

25. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I offer another one of my favorites. This is an easy recipe. The NY Times does have some delicious vegetarian recipes in their Dining section.
    Paella With Tomatoes

Time: 30 minutes

3 1/2 cups stock or water (I use water)
    1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes (I have used organic plum, cherry or grape tomatoes), cored and cut into wedges Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, minced
    1 tablespoon minced garlic (I use more garlic)
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    Large pinch saffron threads (optional)
    2 teaspoons Spanish pimentón (smoked paprika), or other paprika (We do not use it. My wife does not like it)
    2 cups Spanish or other short-grain rice (I use Arroz Dacsa from Valencia. I tried Bomba rice once. It did not suit us)
    Minced parsley for garnish.
    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Warm stock or water in a saucepan. Put tomatoes in a medium bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle them with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toss to coat.
    2. Put remaining oil in a 10- or 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, saffron if you are using it, and paprika and cook for a minute more. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is shiny, another minute or two. Add liquid and stir until just combined.
    3. Put tomato wedges on top of rice and drizzle with juices that accumulated in bottom of bowl. Put pan in oven and roast, undisturbed, for 15 minutes. Check to see if rice is dry and just tender. If not, return pan to oven for another 5 minutes. If rice looks too dry but still is not quite done, add a small amount of stock or water (or wine). When rice is ready, turn off oven and let pan sit for 5 to 15 minutes.
    4. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle with parsley. If you like, put pan over high heat for a few minutes to develop a bit of a bottom crust before serving.

FWIW, we serve it with manchego cheese (sheep's cheese on a veggie thread?) or grated parmagiano reggiano, and lemons. I eat the leftover paella a couple of days later with fried eggs.