The Value of Insideflyer.com?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by FrugalAsianMan, Aug 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FrugalAsianMan

FrugalAsianMan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently enrolled in insideflyer.com because the MP Premium membership gives 1 year free subscription to it.

I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed by what I've seen so far, and am wondering what most folks think about it. Am I missing something? Is insideflyer.com valued more for the few tools they have?

So far I've just been browsing around a website with no real "inside" information that I don't normally receive off the travel blogs I subscribe to. Not to mention, almost all of their offers on their site are promotions long-since expired. It makes me wonder whether or not the site admins are serious about keeping insideflyer updated and fresh. (I'll leave my thoughts of the look and usability of the website design out of this.)

For a paid service, I definitely expect the content to be updated and the site looks respectable. (Like how Milepoint.com looks fantastic.)

So what am I missing?

uggboy likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there was real inside information, how long do you think would it take for that to appear on one of the blogs (and then shortly thereafter on another one, and another one ...). I haven't activated my own subscription yet (it's not like I don't have enough stuff to read as it is), but I am not expecting too much from it. I think Ric from LoyaltyTraveler writes a monthly column that he sometimes mentions and I like his blog, so that's probably something to look forward to. I am sure I'll get my money's worth :)

MX and uggboy like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that they are also owned and ran by the same ppl who run mp and boarding area, aka hom

IDGflygirl, MX and uggboy like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct.

uggboy likes this.
  5. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was sorta wondering the same thing. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth. I guess it is just a testament to all the high-quality, free content available through the Boarding Area blogs...

uggboy likes this.
  6. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    InsideFlyer costs $12 for an annual online-only subscription. It's one of the smaller benefits of the MP Premium membership, and I think it's worth the cost.

I think the real point of InsideFlyer is that it also comes in a paper, mailed-to-your-home version, which might work for some people who don't want to read the blogs. But then the people who already read the blogs complain that InsideFlyer ruins their deals and shares nothing new.

I think the real point of the blogs is that they save you time from reading MilePoint and FlyerTalk and sifting through your junk email. But then the people who already read the forums and their email complain that the blogs ruin their deals and share nothing new.

I think the real point of the forums and the the junk email is to save you time from doing your own sleuthing on the internet to find the latest deals and offers and mistake fares froms scratch. But then the people who already do this complain that MP and FT ruin their deals and share nothing new.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You just shared nothing new :D

guberif, uggboy and Scottrick like this.
  8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    LMAO i had to read that a few times; I was like wait huh? and wait huh?

Still early ... brain isnt at 75% yet.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I could imagine that there are a lot of people who don't have the time or desire to spend countless hours reading blogs or Flyertalk or MilePoint, but want to keep up with the various promos and programs. I haven't read InsideFlyer, especially not on paper, but I could very well imagine that it meets those needs with relatively little time commitment.

uggboy and tommy777 like this.
  10. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    What the F@!? is the "Internet"?!!

11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hah, I still read Inside Flyer in paper form, usually on a plane, and I leave it either in a seatback pocket or in a lounge when I'm done.

The cover stories are often interesting. In-depth pieces on things like "what triggers your account to get audited, and what do you do if that happens?" and "how do programs handle miles in death and divorce" ... more in-depth treatments than you'll usually find on most blogs or forums.

And I enjoy the reader letters and the mileage advice requests and answers, just for their own sake, the way one might have enjoyed Dear Abby or Dear Prudence sorts of columns.

aka60, 2soonold and IDGflygirl like this.
  12. aka60

aka60 Active Member

Status Points:
    Actually, once upon a time I did find it in there.