The Utility of RCC/PC membership

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by PhlyingRPh, Sep 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    ** Two Star Rant
    It's not doing it for me anymore, and not just RCC/PC but AC as well.. They are undersized (usually), overcrowded (when I want to use them), have smelly toilets (usually due to the brand of urinal cake), limited locations, poor food/bev selection, overly loud self-important types bellowing into their phones, firing entire departments or approving billion dollar takeover bids (while their phone is actually turned off), and now, at the PC at least, when one's schedule goes tits-up, there's this half arsed reaccomodation attempt that consists of booking you on the next available flight on your ticketed routing, rather than being able to pull the stops out and get you from A to B asap so that you can do whatever it was you were traveling to do in the first place.

I think I'd almost rather just find a decent restaurant, sit down by an electrical outlet, get some work done, have something to eat, trawl for attractive, twenty something members of the opposite sex, fail miserably at getting off with them and then make my way to the gate when I need to. If things go awry, there's always the 1K/Plat line.

2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to stop you right there and call b******t. You haven't been to an airport recently.

3. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I almost always find the lounge agents to be far more helpful than gate agents when **** hits the fan and you need help.

4. Travelsavant
    Original Member

Travelsavant Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use both the RCC's & PC's a lot (fly mostly domestic) & while I haven't been pleased with food/bev changes or the horrid RCC WIFI speed, or lack thereof, I'm holding off renewal decision until Jan to see what the new United will be offering. Being optimistic, I'm hoping for some improvements as I like using the clubs...especially on long layovers or when trouble strikes.

5. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless things change, I should keep my lifetime membership due to my 2MM status.
    However, if it's taken away like everything else that is being threatened by the new regime then I probably wouldn't re-up either.

Reasons are almost the same as the OP has mentioned.
    The ONLY life saver is during IRR-ops when the lines are a mile long at customer service.
    The DEN clubs are scuzzy and filthy and trying to find an electrical plug in there is a p-i-t-a!
    I agree that trying to find a seat that isn't near a loud and obnoxious very important cell phone user is difficult, but it's still a little better than in the main terminals.
    As to whether it's worth the price, depends on how much flying one is expecting to do, here on out, I guess?
    The Pres Clubs are very nice, especially IAH, but many RCC's are the pits and not a cent has gone into them in years,
    I would add that ORD is the exception, and all of them at that location are fairly clean, but packed at times.
    IAD (all of them) are dumps IMO! LAX (RCC) has a resident trash bag that gets transferred from covering one urinal to another about every 2 days if it's need it or not.

Glad that I've got the card, but I would definitely think long and hard before I would pay anything to renew.

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that for aesthetics and non-food related amenities the PCs are ahead of the RCCs especially iif using IAD as your frame of reference. For me, the value proposition remains showers after transcons. Hence, I try to avoid IAD and/or ORD and use IAH. I really hope the new United can put some showers in the legacy RCCs. :)

EX-LAX and PhlyingRPh like this.
  7. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The PCs will decrease in crowdedness shortly as the AMEX entry method is about to run out.

8. German Expat
    Original Member

German Expat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I decided not to renew my membership for similar reasons mentioned already in the posts. Especially the DEN clubs (my home airport) are useless. Irr Opps are not relevant for me because I am GS and the phone works well for me. For Internet I use my Verizon hotspot and international travel I get into them in any case.

After not renewing I just sit at a gate or go to a restaurant and up to now did not miss them yet.

9. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly mostly internationally, so get into RCCs by virtue of *G. On the few occasions that I don't get in, I don't really miss them. At most UA stations, there's usually an out of the way gate which is uncrowded where I can sit and read in peace. By contrast, peace is not something I associate with an RCC, what with the self-important members and a tv blaring in the background. I'm not sure about the OP's idea of finding a nice restaurant - even at SFO there aren't any, let alone anywhere else (although I've never been through IAD at a time when I would want to try In Vino Volo, which might be an honorable exception.

Would I turn down the use of an RCC when travelling internationally? No - it's still a great perk, especially *A lounges abroad, but I certainly would not pay money for them.

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I do. I've never paid for club access. A lot of my travel involves international trips, so *G gets me in. I spend a lot less than the annual membership fee for food/beverages at domestic airports and get better quality stuff.

11. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pappadeux's in terminal E @ IAH is probably one of the better choices. Ate there for the first time last month during a 3 hour delay. GOOOOd seafood, oysters on the half shell, etc.
    I must agree with every other post that 99.9% of airport food joints serve over priced crap to a captive audience! A majority of members that enter these clubs walk around with their noses in the air, put their filthy shoes and dirty feet up on the tables and act like they just walked into the club below ----------- Well, now that I think about it, perhaps since some of these guests smell so bad that keeping one's nose elevated is a defensive maneuver, learned at home, during their formative years? Again as I mentioned, The President Clubs are very nice IMHO, but most of The RCC's are a disgrace, especially since the guards at the door make a BIG deal out of allowing you to enter their dump. Try putting your feet on the tables (normally used for drinks, snacks, and personal items) in the club below and see how long it takes to get your butt thrown out the back door!
    SULTAN LOUNGE- opulent lounge & club at Mandarin Oriental in Kuala Lumpur

12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been there actually once on Government business =D

EX-LAX likes this.
  13. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you get thrown out the back door when they found out which government you were working for? ;)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I really wish the staff would kick out guests in the US clubs when they put their feet on the furniture. It's an absolutely nasty habit, especially considering that they probably just came out of the rest room where the floors usually are covered in p.ss...

EX-LAX likes this.
  15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just had that today. Missed connection due to irrop. Gate agnt worthless, just put me in any seat. Had asked for exit row since f was full and she said no exit row avail. Stroll 40 yards to rcc at ord term c and 30 seconds later have exit row bp. There is a difference

EX-LAX likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is this something that you could have fixed yourself with one of those chickens?

17. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so, as I think that 6 hours prior it goes to airport control, with the gate agents, ticket counter, customer service, or the clubs having the only authority to change anything. But I could be wrong re the Chicken? As we know res cannot touch these seats this close to departure, but perhaps picking up the phone at the Chicken and speaking with a real person may work, I don't know how that would fly, as the res agent on the other end might also be limited as to what they can do re changing a seat, in this case to an exit row.

Good question though! Can one change their seat at the chicken close to departure, or does it take a live agent, AT THE AIRPORT?

18. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually I was there on the request of the Malaysian Government so thankfully no...

EX-LAX likes this.
  19. EX-LAX

EX-LAX Silver Member

Status Points:
    Friday I'm flying to DEN, and the first thing I'm going to do is go to the RCC and take a leak, while naturally (no pun intended) standing in about 10 hours worth of misses. Then I'm going to sit across from the first dude I see that has his feet on the table and start playing "Footsy"!

Flyer1976 likes this.
  20. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    DEN? I'd say about ten years of misses...

jupper and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.