The USO promotion is bAAck.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, May 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saw a reference to this in the "newsstand" forum, but thought I'd post it under AA AAdvantage as well. Similar promotion to the one last Veterans Day, which at that time some folks used to up their lifetime mileage totals before the tougher MillionMiler rules took effect Dec.1.

Well, it's back (except for the MillionMiler part).

American Airlines and the USO thank you for supporting our men and women in uniform and their families. Through July 4, as we Honor, Salute and Celebrate during the next six weeks, AAdvantage members will be awarded 15 AAdvantage miles – instead of 10 – for each dollar donated through American’s Miles In Support of All Who Serve program, which supports USO programs and services to support the morale, welfare, social and entertainment needs of troops and their families.

To donate: https://www.uso.org/aadvantage/

Note: my understanding of the tax code and interpretations thereof is that the tax-deductibility of your contribution is calculated by reducing the donation amount by 2.75 cents per mile received if one receives 5,999 miles or less, and by 2.5 cents per mile received for other contributions.

You are limited to 60,000 miles per 12-month period for USO contributions. That would be $4,000 in gifts at the bonus rate, $6,000 at the regular rate. Must give at least $25 at once to get miles.

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, kansaskeith!

:)

Newscience likes this.
  3. Albert
    Original Member

Albert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting...is AA the only airline that does something like this?

Newscience and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, I think AA is the only one who does this promotion.

:)

Newscience and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. Albert
    Original Member

Albert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - this seems like the right thing to do on Memorial Day.

Newscience likes this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the AA USO donation program but I wish they would post it more quickly, like right away. I know I may be too picky but in this day and age it seems like it could be done.

Newscience likes this.
  7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me it is not a fatal flaw, but I know how you feel. Last fall when I took "Aadvantage" of the promotion, two or three weeks passed, I looked at my online documentation from USO and I didn't see where it mentioned my AA number at all, like maybe I had forgotten to enter it (but I knew I had!). So I got mildly panicky and called USO which found my donation in the system, assured me the AA information was in there, and told me it had just been passed over to AA the day before I called. Another week or so went by, but then AA credited it. However, after AA credited it, it went back out the next morning! So then I had to call AA which said there was a known bug, and within a day or so that too was fixed.

All of that was less than ideal, but probably not enough to keep me from making a sizeable donation again. May do so as early as tomorrow, as I would like to show it on my personal books (Quicken, etc.) as a June expense, not May. . . .

Newscience likes this.
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not really. The National Foundation for Cancer Research has a similar program (giving airline miles for donations) with American, Delta, and United. More information can be found here.

Newscience likes this.
  9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I donated June 6. Miles were in my AAcount June 16. Not a world speed record, but not too bad either, thought I.

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who does benefit from USO programs, THANKS for your donation! :)

11. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Time is running out for this one!

Newscience and kansaskeith like this.
  12. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, this promotion (15 miles per dollar donated rather than the usual 10) is bAAck again. It was last offered in the weeks before July 4, and now is being offered again for Veterans Day (dates for donations Nov. 1 - 14).

Normal rules for calculating tax-deductible portions of gifts would apply, by subtracting value of miles received from the donation given: "For charitable deduction purposes, each mile is valued at 2.75 cents per mile if fewer than 6,000 miles are awarded and 2.5 cents per mile if 6,000 or more miles are awarded."

from http://joinus.aa.com/uso-care-packages

"In honor of Veterans Day, AAdvantage® members will be awarded 15 AAdvantage miles, instead of 10, for each dollar donated through American’s Miles In Support of All Who Serve campaign, which supports USO programs and services to support the morale, welfare, social and entertainment needs of troops and their families."

• Offer valid on contributions made online at www.uso.org
    • Veterans Day promotion valid November 1-14, 2012
    • Minimum $25 donation required
    • AAdvantage mileage cap for a 12-month period is 60,000 AAdvantage miles per AAdvantage account
    • AAdvantage bonus miles do not count toward elite-status qualification or Million MilerSM status
    • Please allow up to eight weeks for the AAdvantage bonus miles to be posted to your AAdvantage account. Donations can only be accepted in U.S. dollars. All gifts are welcome; however, AAdvantage miles will only be earned for donations of at least $25 USD.

13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting! :)

Newscience likes this.
  14. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Max M and rwoman like this.
  15. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Max M likes this.
  16. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I haven't seen the increased award (15miles/dollar of donation) for USO donations this year on the AA website? In fact I did not see USO listed even for the regular 10miles/$1 donation. Did I miss something?

The following site is still active and shows an award of 15miles/$1 of donation for a donation of $25 or more, but don't know if it is still valid and the offer will be honored. Anyone have any insights into this annual event?
    https://www.uso.org/aadvantage/

17. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, this has been a big (in my opinion) mess. I've gone round and round with AA on this in the last 10 days and even called my contact at USO who had no idea AA even did this (but that's another story -- when I called her she thought I was asking for a military discount on airfare and told me to call AA!).

Long story short, yes, AA confirms one gets 15 miles per dollar spent ($25 or more) but only through Saturday, May 31.

In the past they have had this promotion between the two patriotic holidays of Memorial and Independence days (and again in the fall around Veterans Day). This year however it was advanced up to May, which is Military Appreciation Month. Anyway, when this got confirmed by AA, I made my sizable (for me) annual donation on Thursday.

The 60,000-mile 12-month cap still applies, as does legal wording on the taxable value of miles received on an otherwise tax-deductible contribution.

Now, as to why it wasn't promoted on AA's website, who the heck knows with everything that's going on over there, particularly on things connected to IT?

As to why it was not only not promoted but the charity subpage dropped off the aa.com "earn miles" page, AA finally got back to me and said they had been trying to "clean up" aa.com, that it looked like USO (and the Susan G. Komen -- breast cancer -- Foundation, too) listings had been dropped in error, and that a request had been made to restore those. Not one of AAdvantage's and aa.com's finer moments, IMHO.

Slow_Mustang, thank you for your support of our soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines, and I hope you are able to take "AAdvantage" of the current offer by Saturday.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  18. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  19. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right - they changed Foundation for Cancer Research from a listed "Charity" to a "Specialty," but then dropped off USO and Komen. They say they will put them back, but in the meantime we can use the link you list. And for breast cancer research (Komen) you can use: http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/miles-for-the-cure

Newscience likes this.
  20. Horhay25

Horhay25 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does one find these offers starting at aa.com?

21. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the heck of it, Horhay25 -- see two and four items above, they inadvertently dropped them from there!

HOWEVER, as of Monday afternoon they appear to have been restored as AA promised last week they would try to do. So: (1) go to aa.com , (2) click on "Aadvantage" in relatively big type on the horizontal line near the top, (3) click on "Earn Miles, (4) In the sections on the left, under "More Participants," click "View All," (5) Scroll down to "Charities" (this was the section that disappeared about 10 days ago, but is bAAck), or, for another "cancer" option other than Komen, scroll down to "Specialty."

rwoman and Slow_Mustang like this.
  22. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Please note that when you click your way to USO under charities as described above, it shows the standard 10miles/$1 donation. But when you click on the DONATE button, does it take you to the web address in post #18, and show the 15 miles/$1 donation.

23. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And one of the pages you go through seems to indicate we're still in 2013, too! That part needs to be fixed, but my guess is that if AA tried to clarify the miles per dollar -- to show the 15 on the main charities menu -- by the time the I.T. request got processed it would be close to Saturday already, and then they'd have to change it back! They really have made this whole thing quite hard to follow this time around.

Newscience likes this.
  24. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    My miles were deposited in my AAdv account overnight, about 19 days from the online donation. This program has never been known for its breakneck speed, but that seems at least as good as the average from prior years; yAAy.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  25. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Counsellor, IDGflygirl and Newscience like this.