The US Airways Status Match Master Discussion

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Canarsie, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This discussion is designed for those who are looking for a status match from the frequent flier loyalty programs of which they are currently members to the US Airways Dividend Miles frequent flier loyalty program.

Newscience likes this.
  2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was my understanding that US doesn't do status matches, in the sense the some other airlines do...I thought the "Trial preferred" and "Buy up to Preferred" were the only options for someone coming over from another airline program?

Newscience likes this.
  3. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...and your understanding would be correct, which is why this thread was launched.

There is no question in my mind that in the future, some milepoint.com members will search for status match information in the US Airways Dividend Miles frequent flier loyalty program, and when they do, they will find this discussion. Those people would more likely be those who know little to nothing about the US Airways Dividend Miles frequent flier loyalty program, and this thread will give them the answer instantly.

Newscience likes this.
  4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is the latest information on options for gaining US Airways status if coming over from another carrier:

------
    If you have status on another airline and plan to switch your flying to US Airways, US will not "match" your status (either by outright matching, or by issuing a "challenge") in the ways that some other legacy carriers will. Instead, US currently has two options if you'd like to fast-track gaining preferred status:

1. "Trial Preferred." This allows you to purchase a 90-day "trial" period at various preferred levels:
    --$200 for Silver Preferred
    --$400 for Gold Preferred
    --$600 for Platinum Preferred

Once you have purchased your "Trial" status, you will need to fly the following number of miles or segments within you 90 trial period to maintain your status through the rest of the program year:
    --Silver: 7,500 miles or 10 segments
    --Gold: 15,000 miles or 20 segments
    --Platinum: 22,500 miles or 30 segments

2. "Buy up to Preferred." Click the link to view the full chart, but essentially, this allows you to purchase preferred qualifying miles/segments to reach the next preferred level.

So this could work two ways:

First, you could simply buy status outright, if you don't have any status or preferred qualifying miles. So again, reference the chart, but if you came into US Airways with zero miles, you could spend $3,999 (the fee equal to needing 100,000 miles or 120 segments) and become Chairman's Preferred. Keep in mind that you don't actually get 100,000 miles, just the equivalent status.

Second, if you already have some preferred qualifying miles or segments, or even a certain status level, you can purchase the next level of status: so for example, if you have 45 preferred qualifying segments and are Silver, you could purchase Gold status by spending $789 (the equivalent cost of 15 segments).

Everyone, please feel free to help further clarify this or add additionaly information!

Newscience likes this.
  5. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone have any experience recently with using their US status to get a status match on another airline? I had heard rumors that CO was still accepting status matches from US. I'm interesting in confirming this. Thanks.

6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never tried this, but I thought that status matching generally wasn't done among airlines of the same alliance...i.e. CO would match status from DL, but not US since both are *A. Maybe that's not correct...

Newscience likes this.
  7. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You are basically correct, airlines have more or less stopped doing matches within their own alliances. That said, however, there are always exceptions for special cases...but you'd have to offer a pretty compelling reason for them to consider it.

From 2007 on, we were very successful at getting unhappy US customers switched over to Continental--if not mistaken over 100 high value travelers moved and were happy. Today, the rules are different because of the merger with United, and of course being in the same alliance. In some ways they probably consider it a zero sum gain, because once elite in an alliance, you can accrue miles by flying any of the carriers.

I will also add that although I am sure there are cases, I have never once seen an elite at another carrier even ask for a match TO US...

Newscience likes this.
  8. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you travel for work, check with your corporate travel desk (if you have one). Often they can negotiate status matches on your behalf.

PS I know two people who switched to US: one from DL and one from AA, both based in the DC area. Granted this was part of our corporate phase-out of DL as preferred carriers but both seem quite happy with the move. The former DL elite, particularly, because she doesn't have to transfer in ATL any more. At any rate, it does happen.

9. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, Continental was a Sky Team alliance member until almost the end of 2009, so that may have helped with your "success" rate.

Newscience and kellio like this.