The unoffical LH First Class / FCT thread (no question is dumb)

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by Rambuster, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can post all your questions to LH F, the FCT, FCL, Limo pickup, rubber duckies here !

2. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is the story with limo pickup and rubber duckies?

jbcarioca and sithlord like this.
  3. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are dumb answers permitted as well?

jbcarioca, IMH and calflyer like this.
  4. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would prefer those answers are posted in the "How to maximize your FCT/FCL Experience 2.0 Thread"
    [​IMG]

5. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    maximize?? we optimize. please listen to your lingo.[​IMG]

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The First Class Terminal is a really special place. I'll be the first to say that my recent visits have had somewhat less stellar service than my earlier visits. And I've sure been there during some peak times when the place has been very busy.

My last time through I came off of an LH F flight, IAD-FRA. And I was connecting to BOM in F.

I entered Germany through passport control, headed down to baggage claim and out the end of the terminal. I turned left, walked past the queue of taxis (note: not where the taxis pick up passengers, but where they wait before heading to the passenger pickup area). And it's then across a couple of driveways, where you see the standalone first class terminal, you cannot miss it!

Instead of going in the front door, as most passengers would, the walkup entrance is downstairs. You buzz them, they come down to meet you. On that morning there was a person ahead of us who had already buzzed for help. And while we waited for them to come down, another person came up behind us. We couldn't all fit in the elevator!

We went upstairs and queued for security. It was the first time we had ever seen a line at security. And there weren't enough staff ot help and keep everyone straight, it was a little harried. Nothing like the real terminal of course, and still a perfectly civilized experience! But still interesting.

I went over to my favorite spot once thorugh security. That's in the corner near the windows in the comfortable chairs for lounging. Basically if you walk through security, I go all the way forward and on the left.

Interestingly, they don't have universal power ports at the seats, so I always have an adapter or two in my bag. There's usually someone who comes to help you quickly, and grab a cappucino. The nuts and snacks that are in displays around the terminal... wow... some of the most delicious nuts I've ever eaten. The wasabi nuts are truly addicting.

Having come off of an overnight flight I went in for a shower. I did ask the attendant for a couple of first class terminal (yellow) rubber duckies. No worries, they have a closet full! And they do say first class terminal on them, and they squeak.

Shower pressure is great, love the shower rooms, though not actually a fan of the Etro bath products. Personal preference I realize.

After the shower and a bit of internet time (gotta ask for internet codes to get free access), time for sit down restaurant. I gotta say, and I know I am not the most knowledgable in German cuisine, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the wiener schnitzel. Just outssanding and I always order it. I also frequently get the Tom Ka Gai.

I like that the departure monitors only show the flights of people actually in the terminal, a little touch that makes seeing your flight easy.

Then I was fetched by the woman who checked us in, taken downstairs to paassport control where htey already had our passports to hand back to us, and given to our driver to head across the tarmac in a Porsche. Sadly it was rainy so the views were a bit less than possible otherwise, but it was really cool (1) tailing right behind a 747 for much of the trip and (2) it turned out to be all the way on the other side of the airport, quite the drive! Up the back way, and onto the plane. And another wonderful experience at the First Class Terminal.

It's my second favorite ground experience, behind Thai Airways first class in Bangkok because of their spa.

Yes, I know that the B First Class Lounge (and the first class lounge in Munich?) offer pay spa services. But the Bangkok spa is NIICCEEEE.

On the way back I stopped through the First Class Lounge in the A terminal at FRA, since i was connecting to a United flight instead of Lufthansa so didn't have access to the Terminal. It's smaller, shower rooms a bit more worn, but otherwise in terms of design the same. But no special security procedures or passport control, no car, and it just isn't the same airy place as the terminal.

Still, an experience that's really somethin'!

I wouldn't want to spend a full DAY at the first class terminal, e.g.. arriving from the US in the a.m. and departing to Asia in the evening. But fortunately arriving F passengers can get a complimentary day room at the Kempinski. And THEN go to the F terminal for departure, going through the front door. Hah!

Of course the interesting access question is always...

Departing LX C, connecting to LX F from ZRH? Yes!

Arriving LH F, connecting to LH (or LX or..) C intra-Europe... technically no, right? Though some folks do it and don't get turned away? That's my stupid question for the thread!

Oli20, Bluto, jbcarioca and 5 others like this.
  7. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you ask LH they'll probably say you have no access because the FCT is a departure terminal but as far as we know nobody with a same day LH/LX F boarding pass has been turned away when connecting to LH/LX/OS in C or Y.

They tried to change the rule a couple of years ago but it didn't work. That's when they stopped providing transport from the main terminal to the FCT but if you find your own way to the FCT you will be fine.

jbcarioca, pitmueller and Rambuster like this.
  8. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the walk to FCT and I find it refreshing.

Flyer1976 and jbcarioca like this.
  9. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ethnically very diverse too walking past the taxi rank ! :)

jbcarioca and alex0683de like this.
  10. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is no F feeling. [​IMG]

Oli20 and jbcarioca like this.
  11. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Walking outside the airport after long haul F, especially in the brisk German winter, actually can be a nice refresh prior to entering the terminal. And IMHO better than the old days of requesting a van.

12. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    Refreshing?
    I have to hold my breath walking past smokers outside the terminal and again walking past the taxi rank.

Yes, and the smell of wurst ! :eek:

jbcarioca and Rambuster like this.
  13. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    that's my point. Even when the van was driving I walked.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was no german "wurst" [​IMG]

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  15. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Requesting the limo in the old days was a bit silly. I always had to smile when people were waiting in the T1A F section waiting for the car. They always arrived at the FCT later than me - and I just walked over.

I need 10 mins to walk from the ICE train station to the FCT.

jbcarioca and joesmoe like this.
  16. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    and to sit with 5 people or more in the van was no fun at all.

17. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even worse having 3 HONs plus luggage in a Panamera.
    Recently I had this situation and one poor guy in the back had to have his rollerboard on his lap in the back of the Panamera. Very First Class indeed - not.

18. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    ethnic wurst ! [​IMG]

jbcarioca and LFCorsten like this.
  19. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Porsche is a pain if there more than 2 people.

Flyer1976, jbcarioca and joesmoe like this.
  20. Much quicker, anyway. Only handicapped people or folks with a plenty of luggage should have taken the limo.

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. I really don't get it, as it this isn't a good way to promote the car and the brand. People actually seem to have bad feelings about Porsche after taking the ride. Beats the purpose. In ZRH, they had a new Mercedes S class Hybrid, which I found interesting and more appropriate.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    The one way system doesn't help.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the car had to go all the way round the airport.
    LH's decision to enhance the car service was quite ok.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't miss it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  25. Fredrik
    Original Member

Fredrik Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, first stupid question.

Why is the FCT better than FCLs? I have been to the A-pier FCL and I found it perfectly adequate. What else is there in the FCT?

carenero and TRAVELSIG like this.