The United Airlines Status Match Master Discussion

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Canarsie, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    This discussion is designed for those who are looking for a status match from the frequent flier loyalty programs of which they are currently members to the United Airlines Mileage Plus frequent flier loyalty program.

2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Canarsie, perhaps since this is a merged forum, CO OnePass should be included in this thread or given one as well?

3. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but thought that not only is it implied in the name of the forum itself, but also that the Continental OnePass frequent flier loyalty program is expected to cease to exist later this year.

Still, I am open to suggestions...

4. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We could start with a discussi[​IMG]n of the relative differences in the UA and CO status matches. Since the programs will merge at the end of the year, differences in the interim might be of interest.

5. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did a status match to CO based on my AA EXP status. Was matched to Platinum for a 90-day challenge. I have to fly 35,000 EQMs or 40 segments in that period for my status to be good for the rest of this year, Note, it took a few days before UA's system would recognize my Platinum OnePass status and that had folks at the 1K Desk and the CO Elite line consternated.[​IMG]

6. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's interesting given that EXP is a more difficult status to obtain than CO Plat.

7. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that CO requires a challenge and UA will match up to 1K, aren't the status match programs the same?

8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing for any member considering changing their status from another airline is the method in which they go about it. Both United and Continental use some form of a status match that is available to any member. These usually include a challenge component where you must fly a specified amount within 90 days in order to achieve/maintain the matched status. For Continental, this includes a fee, and more information can be found here

Another method for matching status is using the agreement your company may have signed with the airline(s) to get a straight status match. These exist mainly to get corporate travelers switched over to the official programs without the bitterness that happens when someone has to start out with no status. This is also intended to save the corporation money as they do not have to reimburse the baggage fees while you earn your status. For more information you should check with your corporate travel department (I used this method 2 years ago to transfer from DL, and was not required to even do a challenge).

9. Does anyone know if United will match US status since they are star alliance? We have chairman, gold and silver status in our families with US. Really looking to see if any other carrier will match. Anyone know? We are open to trying Delta and/or AA, also.

10. Does anyone know what status CO would match for DL Gold Elite?

11. 4Health
    Original Member

4Health Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO Gold

12. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately star alliance airlines seem to have a "gentleman's agreement" in place not to match to each others elite programs.

AA doesn't do a traditional status match, they do challenges that involve a lot of flying.

However Delta will match US status, you could try a US->Delta->United status match, and it could work, since UA usually only requires a copy of your current membership card. It might take a while but it should work.

One word of caution though, Status matches are usually once in a lifetime so use each match wisely.

Happy Matching!

13. Thanks!

miles and smiles likes this.
  14. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if things have changed in the last few years since I did my DL->UA match, but UA asked that I send in my DL account summary as well. Or perhaps that was just because I didn't have my DL card handy. Either way, I'd check first on what UA actually requires you to send in.

15. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes it does look like you need a copy of your statement as well, I dug up some past correspondence when I inquired as to an AA status match:

"
    Please submit a copy of your AA statement and card along with your United Mileage Plus account and address.
    Regards,
    XXXXXXXXX
    United Airlines "