The TSA’s new ‘Randomizer’ app could cut down security lines in 100 airports

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, May 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://venturebeat.com/2014/05/09/t...will-cut-down-security-lines-in-100-airports/

[​IMG]
    At your next trip to the airport, look out for the Transportation Security Administration’s new app: the “Randomizer.”

The TSA is testing a new app to randomly decide which airline passengers don’t need to remove their jackets, shoes, and belts, Bloomberg Businessweek reports. Traditionally, only pre-screened flyers who joined the TSA’s PreCheck program had access to such fast lanes. With the Randomizer app, some passengers who have not been pre-screened will also experience that luxury.

This development is a direct reaction to the inconveniences caused by the beloved federal agency’s post 9-11 screening requirements. While pre-screening is on the rise, a majority of passengers are not yet signed up for PreCheck.

According to a statement on the TSA’s official site:

TSA will always incorporate random and unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no individual will be guaranteed expedited screening.

While this system could greatly cut down airport screening times, the TSA is simultaneously

Read More: http://venturebeat.com/2014/05/09/t...will-cut-down-security-lines-in-100-airports/

2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is crap. It was being used at FLL on Thursday and it took me forever to get through. Between the regular PreCheckers and the 'randoms', the regular line was shorter. Most, if not all of the 'random' pax had no clue what to leave on and it slowed the line to a painful pace.

alfagirl, iolaire and Newscience like this.
  3. SomeDay

SomeDay Member

Status Points:
    Will it ever be applied to non US citizens?

4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the app will allow minimal hassle when my printed PreCheck boarding pass getss me a random PreCheck denial despite being printed PreCheck, then I'll download it. :D

Newscience likes this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, now an even greater chance of being randomly separated from the rest of your traveling party!

gregm and Newscience like this.
  6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is so wrong in so many ways. I've seen TSA do this at other airports without the "Randomizer". It's a great way to turn a mediocre security system into an ineffective one.

gregm likes this.
  7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    That implies the TSA has been doing something positive, which is incorrect.

8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am in no way against safety and security. The TSA, in general, provide neither.

9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me get this off my chest: using an iPad to 'randomly' select pax for PreCheck is absolutely ridiculous. TSA states it's used after the agent has 'visually selects' the pax for 'randomization' (if thats a word). Bull$*^t. I've watched it happen and everyone in line is included.

This, plus the recent announcement of CBP kiosks in ATL for the general, non GE public, makes me wonder why I spent my $ on GE or why I should trust either agency.

10. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    AAAAAAHHHH!! It makes me so mad! It "cuts down the security lines..." NOT PreCheck!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's open to US Nationals and permanent residents. Legal permanent residents.

12. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Passengers on AC are now have access to pre check.

13. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    TSA needs a line for "professionals" who know here they are and what they are doing and a line for "amateurs" who have no idea what TSA does. This random nonsense just delays everyone. Amazing how a relative good idea - precheck - has been turned into a disaster in so many places. Wlil they ever learn how to get it right?

Betty Boop, gaijin62 and gregm like this.
  14. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, a line for those of us who know how to use pre-check and are 'trusted travelers' and a separate line for those randomly selected who still like to stand there and strip down - always 4 or so people in front of me while I am shouting 'do not take your shoes/jacket off etc because of course 6 TSA agents are doing nothing. Last Saturday I was traveling through BOS and had to ask the tsa agent to repeat the instructions to the numerous people in front of me!

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

gregm likes this.
  15. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's everywhere. Last week, at FLL, I had to tell the person 2 pax ahead of me not to strip while 2 TSA agents had a deep conversation. I went to the supervisor and told them they needed to fix this ASAP. My recommendation: A few well placed signs and some TSA agents who actually did something would solve the problem.

Betty Boop likes this.
  16. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw a report that TSA will no longer do that randomizer (where they seem to select the most inept traveller to cut in front of you) for precheck soon. It cannot be soon enough Where I used to be at either my airline club or the gate within 2 minutes of being dropped off at airport it now takes longer than going through the non-precheck lanes, especially at LAX - grrrr.

17. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    It must have been in use in ELP last week when totally clueless people were holding up the line with:
    1. Steel-toed (?) boots
    2. ENORMOUS metal belt buckle
    3. Sunscreen and soda pop

Plus, their separation of Pre-Check from regular there was a cluster anyway.
    This is NOT a change we can believe in.

18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to respectfully differ on this one. The last thing any airport needs, especially the TSA checkpoint, are more signs.