The TripAdvisor effect: Are online reviews making brands irrelevant?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by JohnDeere19, Sep 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - but I'm not sure I agree it will make brands irrelevant - esp for frequent travelers who have elite status. nevertheless I have found ta (with a little judicious "filtering" on my part) helpful at times.

viguera, uggboy and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use TA a lot. When I am traveling out of the country, I do not want to stay in a "mega hotel", by this I mean, one of the usual suspects ie, Hilton, Hyatt, etc. I want to stay somehwere that is indicticative of the place I am visiting. That being said, I am loyal to my hotel brands in the US. When looking at TA reviews, always need to filter out the top and bottom reviews to find a happy medium. I have stayed in some awesome places I would not have found otherwise that do not have any hotel affliations to brands I would stay at stateside.

I do not think think this is going to have an impact and make brands irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks. So many great places to stay that are not part of any of the branded affliations. :)

uggboy likes this.
  4. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    well, as a travel writer, I actually see the TA effect even more directly. Personally, knowing many properties in specific areas very well, I find the TA reviews very, very erratic, and often downright wrong. There's a lot of pumping going on, and the rankings (best hotels/restaurants) for any given city can be real off from my personal criteria, and downright batty at times

uggboy and estnet like this.
  5. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree, there are quite batty reviews, some are quite comical, but just like any site asking for/encouraging opinions and reviews, there will be pumping. Just need to weed through the top and bottom to find the happy medium.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    agree that it's possible to weed through and find a happy medium. I guess what I find the biggest problem is the "rankings" more than the individual reviews. In very many instances, in destinations I know well, the rankings have almost no correlation to what I would consider a reasonable ordering in terms of quality for the available properties. Moreover, I've run across more than one person who makes $ writing false reviews, and frankly, I think its more widespread, and harder to weed out than we imagine. Hopefully, TA, Amazon, etc are or will implement logarithms to root out the fake or paid reviews, it actually shouldn't be that hard

uggboy likes this.
  7. Fredd
    Original Member

Fredd Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whether or not it's true, I have heard that establishments with recent reviews tend to rank better than those that haven't had any recent write-ups, even though those that they have might actually be superior.

I don't know if anybody can confirm or refute that definitively. Like others, we scan the reviews to get a general sense of the place. We've found some real gems but we definitely don't take it as the final authority.

uggboy likes this.
  8. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    oops, think I meant algorithms, not logorithms...

uggboy likes this.
  9. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't agree more - some of the "top" hotels just make me shake my head in amusement. It is also interesting to read the management responses - when they're all "canned" I think that says a lot!

Espan and uggboy like this.
  10. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even worse, I've seen little evidence of TA doing anything about pumping -- I've flagged specific reviews and properties, and TA has not removed those reviews or red-flagged the properties.

11. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fredd likes this.
  12. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points: