The Trans/Dorm Car

Discussion in 'Amtrak | Guest Rewards' started by mikeschu, Oct 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a one-way award SAN-PDX on the Pacific Surfliner and the Coast Starlight for next year. I'm very familiar with the Pacific Surfliner and I traveled on the Coast Starlight earlier this year.

When I received the booking I noticed that I had roomette #18 on car #1440, which seemed odd to me. Upon reviewing a couple of train forums I found out this is the trans/dorm car.

I hear good things and bad things about this car. It's quieter since it's less foot traffic, but you're quite a bit closer to the engines. There is oftentimes a good shower on the upper level of the car. You may or may not be noticed by the attendants, and coffee/tea/water can be a bit of a hike.

My question is: have you had the opportunity to travel in such a car, and what were your observations? I'm looking to potentially switch if there's opportunity, and I may switch to a different roomette in the same car as I appear to be next to a toilet.

jwsky and Explore like this.
  2. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mention several pros. In addition, this is the only Amtrak sleeper where you know which side of the train you'll be on ahead of time! (Important for sun angle and scenic highlights). The odd-numbered rooms, plus room 16 are on the left side, while the even-numbered rooms are on the right side.

The major con is that there is no car attendant (the attendant in the next-door sleeper is supposed to cover the crew-dorm, but often they forget since the crew car is only opened to sales if the sleepers in the other cars are sold out). You may have to make a special request for bedding, and will need to visit the next-door car for coffee and other snacks.

jwsky likes this.