The Sunset of the Zync Card

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by robmac, Feb 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

?

Did you know about the MembershipRewards earning potential of the Zync Packs?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was a big fan of the AmEx Zync card. I had several packs, which gave me 2x points on many categories (restaurants, wireless, home repair, "green businesses" like Walmart/Ikea, cable, gym, travel, etc). This super-charged my points earning in Membership Rewards. Coupled with my Preferred Rewards Gold, I was earning a crazy amount of points on my everyday spend.

A couple of weeks ago, I received a letter from AmEx stating that they where discontinuing the Zync Packs. That means no more 2x on category spending.

I called up and canceled my card, expressed my disappointment and I'm now shuffling spending on other cards to maximize my points earning power.

You will be missed Zync Packs...

2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got the same letter. I signed up for this card before I got really into the whole points thing. They offer you any deals to upgrade when you called to cancel? I am thinking of canceling it to start my 90 day cool-off period then I can see what offers are out there. I have a biz Plat on the same account so I believe I should be okay from the MR points standpoint. Is that correct?

3. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    They refunded me the full annual fee and packs fees. I asked questions, got no real answers. They want to get rid of the card, it was obviously a money looser for them. It was all about getting young/new folks into charge cards (loss lead).

You should be OK about your points, since you have a Platinum. They will remain as Membership Rewards First points.

4. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Called up and canceled today. Wasn't offered any retention bonus or upgrade offer and didn't ask about one. Entire process took <1min. It was almost shockingly fast.

Here's to restarting the 90-day clock. Hopefully a good offer pops up around Memorial day :D

5. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I bet they are giddy with every cancel. Did you get your full annual fee back?

6. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't understand the guy on the other end when I asked this question. I already had a credit balance on the account, and he mentioned they could either cut me a check or transfer the credit to another AMEX account. I was going to give it a couple weeks to sort itself out before I call back if I don't hear or see anything in the meanwhile.

7. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Annual fee has now been credited to the account.

robmac likes this.
  8. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Woot!

9. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Woot!

10. websteth

websteth Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a shame that this card was killed off. I had it in addition to my Platinum as I would use it where I could get the massive bonus rewards. If I didn't travel as much as I do, I guess I would move back to the Gold as that is the only way to get those extra points now. I feel bad as I had recommend the Zync to lots of people who seem to have loved it as well. I think it was something that wasn't marketed well. May be we will see a similar product come back sometime.

Tenmoc and robmac like this.
  11. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was supposed to be an entry level charge card. AmEx charge "for newbs". Seasoned chargers discovered a gold mine ;) I recommended it to many people I know, and yes I share your feeling...

I'm feeling the pain of not earning 2x MR points on restaurants (Restaurants Pack). That was a big points maker for me...

12. websteth

websteth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, I actually got Zync as a first Charge Card and ended up moving right to Gold and then a year later Platinum. I still think it was one of the most underutilized products that American Express offered.

Tenmoc and robmac like this.
  13. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Mercedes-Benz credit card (the one with the $95 annual fee) gives 2X points on restaurants.

Muerl and robmac like this.
  14. robmac

robmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip! It's not advertised like the other cards, but was easily found with a search.

http://www304.americanexpress.com/g...es-Benz-Credit-Card/25330?intsearchct=curated

Added bonus: 3x on gas!

It's well worth it to me, but may not be for some as the annual fee is lots higher. Zync was $25 annual + $20 restaurant pack fee = $45 a year.
    Also, each additional card is $30.

LETTERBOY likes this.