The stupidity of AC's bureaucracy

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Aug 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blo...-check-in-crackdown-needs-fixing-peter-nowak/

On my trip last week, I arrived 55 minutes before my flight, only to find that I couldn’t get a boarding pass. The customer service agent was adamant about not giving me one – she said it was impossible to do because the system locked down at the one-hour point. She was downright rude, almost indignant that I had the audacity to show up five minutes after the cut-off. I ended up having to re-book onto a later flight, with a $79 fee to boot.
    Here’s the funny part: I zoomed through customs and security as expected and made it to the gate of the original flight in plenty of time for boarding. I asked the agent there if she could put me back on the flight and she did, with a smile. So much for the “impossibility” of a locked-down system.

milchap likes this.
  2. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm... On-time rate will improve but load factors will drop. At the max, we'll have 100% on-time and 0% loads. :D

milchap likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Incidentally, last time I flew Porter their system automatically e-mailed me my boarding pass, in a format convenient to display on my phone.

4. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:

United did the same thing to me last month YUL-PHX. Computer wouldn't check me in. 2nd in line a the star alliance gold line. Took like 30 minutes for the person ahead of me, its my turn. Guy says I'm too close to flight time, the next agent will help me and leaves on break. By the time the next agent gets to me (another 30 mins) its 15 mins to flight time and now theres no way I will make it. She bent over backwards and got me on YUL-ORD-ATL-PHX. Including ORD-ATL on Delta to boot. And threw in a bunch of meal vouchers as she said the other guy should have given me my pass as I had ample time. Missed the connection in ORD as we waited 20 minutes for a a gate, but fortunately Delta has a lot of ORD-ATL flights.

Quite the milk run but got to PHX. But can't complain, my fault for trying to sneak in an extra 15 mins of sleep. Next time I'll aim for more than 90 mins before a 6am flight lol.

5. I believe AC is heading in that direction but it is a much larger IT job for them.

6. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guinessyyz, that is why one should always do OLCI.

Note that AC's bureaucracy worked quite well actually - they got an extra $79 from the person.

7. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You mean AC got an extra $79 out of the blogger OP quoted.

8. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops - missed the link. Fixed.

9. Agree on both points. The change fees airlines charge are w/o any business logic and soon enough people will start hammering the industry on them. $250 change fee on a Z fare is just lubricious. CX doesn't charge for changes at this fare level so AC is now under some pressure to comply. The fare is already restricted in that its non refundable which is the differentiator between a full J fare.

10. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. LETTERBOY and tomh009 like this.
  12. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:

Maybe for the agent who collects the fee, but the effect is quite opposite for me.

13. For you its like sandpaper