The street.com article "American to Compete With Fleet, Not Merger"

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ord_a380, Jul 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ord_a380

ord_a380 Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link but is having the youngest fleet in the next 5 yrs all that strategic a move? I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that they're developing a differentiated product or service. All I see is a way to decrease operating costs which appears to be required given that they haven't been able to restructure via bankruptcy. I would think that UA/CO and Delta are going to be making their fleet upgrades in the not too distant future as well.

3. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or those Mad Dogs really do use that much fuel ;)

4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I imagine there are some subtle branding differentiations that go along with "youngest fleet" which might leverage some additional traffic/revenue:
    • There seems to be a "gentlemen's agreement" that no airline will advertise "safest" directly. But "youngest" definitely connotes "safest" to some extent and might drive marginal market share on that basis.
    • "Youngest" might also imply "fewest MX disruptions" to the market in the same way that "MD-80" implies "delAAys." So there might be a direct benefit from being able to brand "youngest" in terms of additional market share from pax who are seeking the least delay-prone alternative.