The Stones Hotel, Autograph Collection®

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by gba, Aug 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gba
    Original Member

gba Silver Member

Status Points:
    GoodBoy likes this.
  2. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Has anyone stayed here yet? I'm booked for six nights during the first week of April. I don't have Marriott status but with free breakfast, free wi-fi, and a $50/day resort credit, it was a much better deal than any of the three programs where I have top tier status. But now I'm second guessing - is it a horrible property that it's so much cheaper than the other corporate hotels (and with all that added in)? Or is it just new and trying to build up business in what is not typically high season?

GoodBoy likes this.
  3. SkiAdcock
    Original Member

SkiAdcock Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's getting so-so reviews on the 'other' bulletin board. There are a # of recent trip reports in the thread in the Marriott forum.

Cheers.

GoodBoy likes this.
  4. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I read those but didn't see anything "so-so" in them. It rather sounded comparable with other hotels in Bali (like the complaint about excessive security).

GoodBoy likes this.
  5. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    (Or rather, I should say, it seemed like no one was doing a comparison of The Stones versus say The W or Grand Hyatt or Conrad in Bali... they were comparing against other Marriott resorts in other countries. So apples to oranges.)

GoodBoy likes this.
  6. nldogbert

nldogbert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a copy of my review in the 'other' forum.
    Hi,

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this property (and 1 night at the CY Nusa Dua). Thus all my comments and opinions would be more of a comparison between the two.

Location: I prefer the Nusa Dua area, even though in a gated area, there is less hordes of tourist outside of this gated area compared to Kuta/Legian. Beach area around Kuta is slightly better (water seems calmer), but on the other hand, how often do we ever go swimming in the sea/ocean.

Elite treatment: As a Plat, I do feel that CY shows more appreciation compared to the AC Stones.
    CY: received free 15 min foot reflexology, 50k INR off Spa treatment, free breakfast, and as Plat arrival gift - beer or soft drink + ice-cream/nuts/cheese (despite 2 guests, Plat gift was clearly only for 1 person), was upgraded to a pool view room. Generic: recived a cool towel and cold juice at check-in
    AC: they claimed 20% off all F&B (excluding alcoholic drinks) - but at their bar close to the road, they were already offering 20% off (so no idea wy this is seen as a benefit), was upgraded to a pool view room (w/o bath nor jacuzzi pool). Plat gift very similar to CY. Had a welcome gift in the room, local chocolates (exotic - chili and sea salt flavoured) and a bucket for the 'catch of the day' to be claimed at the pool bar/restaurant (more on this later). I do not know about breakfast since my rate included breakfast. Generic: took a while, but received the infamous icecream and the special magic environmentally friendly cold towel.

Bedroom/Hard product: AC wins here, new modern interior with some wow factors. CY not far behind, just standard CY beddings. Rooms were slightly bigger at the AC. AC had a more modern and bright overall feeling compared to the CY. Breakfast spread at the AC was much better, and one of the first for me to have ice-cream as part of the option.

Soft product: This is where the AC failed rather miserably in my opinion compared to the CY. As mentioned earlier, CY seems to show more appreciation compared to the AC. Friendliness level at both properties from staff was top, not a suprise since this is Indonesia. Failures mainly at
    i) check-in: waited for nearly 20 mins before I could check-in with only 2 staff working to check in a family of 5 before me. Both staff seemed overwhelmed by this small family - no idea why? At CY was immediately helped.
    ii) the welcome gift - no one knew what it was, including both the check-in staff (in the end they had to call the pool restaurant to ask about it). Turned out to be fried calamari. I was told that I could claim this (one time only) anytime during my stay when I bring the bucket + voucher to the pool restaurant/bar. I thus left this in the room to claim this the next day when I had more time. However, despite putting it aside, housekeeping took away the bucket + voucher. I called Guest service to complain (twice), and they promised to get back to me, but no one did. I informed at check out on this, and only thing I received was an apology.
    iii) upgrade - I felt it was quite sad that despite being informed that the occupancy rate at the hotel was low (during my stay period), they could not further put me in a room with the bathtub or private jaccuzzi.
    iv) Food quality @ breakfast: Even though the selection was slightly better at the AC compare to the CY, the food quality was questionable. Some of the food seemed to have been left too long and was either overcooked or dried.
    v) The AC seems to cater to large tour groups compared to the CY. So I can imagine if the hotel had full occupancy, the pool and breakfast area would be overwhelmed.
    vi) room cleaning service - I took with me the provided bug spray that was provided for my outing, and I had expected them to replace it, but nothing was replaced.

All in all, for the price you have to pay for the AC, I see all the listed setback, both big and small, as a big disappointment. If I were to return to Bali, I would definitely go back to the CY for both location and service purposes.

Cheers!