The St. Regis Bangkok - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by ChicagoEric, Apr 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are currently at the hotel. Will post more when we get back - but:

• It is open
    • It is beautiful
    • They claim the whole hotel is open (and full), but I am suspicious that is a white lie as I have not seen more than a dozen other guests
    • No construction (at least that I can see)
    • Staff to guest ratio is ridiculous (10 to 1, probably)
    • Great location
    • World class, SGS doesn't come close
    • St. Regis-type design - you either like it or not. My wife loves it.

We went to a cocktail party and spoke to the staff. Comment of the night? Asking about competition with the Peninsula, a member of management replied, "Please. They're on the other side of the river. You don't come to Bangkok to be Bridge and Tunnel." Zing.

Speaking of Peninsula - we usually stay there. My wife's comment? "This place blows the Pensula away."

2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    looks nice

uggboy likes this.
  5. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really like the look of the decor - good to see they have gone with a modern classic luxury feel (like the newish St Regis Osaka) rather than the affront to style that is the "decor" at the St Regis Singapore. One minor negative is having the hotel on the lower floors - I prefer to be higher (in the air).

I'm tempted to do a last minute trip over Easter to check it out.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be very interested in a comparison to the Four Seasons next door.

uggboy, Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, Chimpy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    St. Regis Bangkok Terrace​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Kalboz- how was the service?

uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  10. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    MG and I got married at The Pen. Very disappointed.

I am interested in the St Regis. I wouldn't have stayed at the FS during construction though, and it went on for years:(

Chimpy and uggboy like this.
  11. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bathroom looks great and I love the terrace:)

Chimpy and uggboy like this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Kalboz! Beautiful style and design plus one superb location! Excellent in my opinion and I presume the service was top notch too? :)

Chimpy and Mangy like this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry ... just saw the below questions ... I haven't been yet ... not until December for a 5-night award stay! ;)

Here is a clip of St Regis Bangkok - Caroline Astor Suite tour to hold us up until then

uggboy, savydog, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is a 15-minute clip in two parts that was recently found on Youtube.com with great footage of many areas of the new St. Regis Bangkok:

uggboy, savydog, Chimpy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bradley
    Original Member

Bradley Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here for 1 night 3 weeks ago. As a Platinum, I was upgraded to a Metropolitan Suite, which was beautiful! The service is top notch, probably the best I've had. I felt bad because we threw a party in the room in the evening, but no hotel staff complained and the butlers (2 of them) even brought us things to help us out. In the early evening, I was surprised to find 2 butlers preparing a bubble bath in the bathtub! It was amazing!!!

uggboy, Toula, savydog and 2 others like this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    A recent article about this hotel's spa, Elemis Spa
    [​IMG]

17. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bedroom looks very different, but other photos remind me of the St Regis in Singapore, including the bathtub.

18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:

19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Starpicks rates are available for the next three weekends (Thursdays-Monday)

uggboy likes this.
  20. I've heard that the Happy hour for Platinum level members of the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) loyalty program is a bit stingy, with only wine and then just two choices. Can somebody confirm this and compare it to say the SGA Living Room happy hour?

21. drdubs
    Original Member

drdubs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently completed a 2 night stay at the hotel using C&P and had a really fantastic experience. As others have indicated, the property itself is beautiful. As a Gold member, we did not receive an upgrade, though the standard room was perfectly adequate to meet our needs. Staff at the hotel were extremely attentive and happy to help with requests as they arose. Details below:

• The hotel is located near many of the other luxury hotels in Bangkok. Many taxi drivers seem not yet to be familiar with the property so I recommend that you tell them it's near the Four Seasons and that should suffice to get you to your destination.
    • The hotel is conveniently located at one of the stops on the Sky Train, so for those interested in using public transport, you'll be well situated.
    • We used Image Limo from the airport. Although not the cheapest option, they were very reliable and had no trouble finding the property.
    Room
    • We had a standard King room with windows overlooking the golf course and race track. As indicated above, it was beautifully appointed and everything had been kept up very well since opening only a few months ago.
    • Guest rooms are on floors 14-18, with residences located on higher floors. Even on the lowest guest floor, you'll have a nice view of the park and/or city.
    Service
    • The staff at the hotel were exceptionally professional, attending to our every request and treating us respectfully. The check-in process was handled quickly and seamlessly.
    • The concierge arranged for a tour of Bangkok by email before arrival with minimal back-and-forth.
    • The butler service offers on-demand coffee and tea service with a simple phone call, which makes the wake up process in the morning much more enjoyable than it would be otherwise.
    Restaurants
    • JoJo is an italian inspired restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel. We found the food to be very tasty with a nicely put together wine list. The dessert menu, for those who can save room, also has many great options. The manager was very visible and all over the restaurant on a Saturday night. We showed up around 9:00 on Saturday without reservations and were seated at the bar, but were still treated very well service wise.
    • Viu, although marketed as the hotel's premiere restaurant, was disappointing. We went on a Sunday night so the restaurant was nearly empty, but the service was not on par with the rest of the hotel and the food was disappointing. Given a choice, I'd recommend JoJo over Viu in a heartbeat. The bellman told us that another restaurant will be open on the ground floor within a few months so that might also be a good option to explore.
    Overall I'd highly recommend the St. Regis Bangkok for either a business or leisure trip.

uggboy, Toula, whkento and 3 others like this.
  22. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm another happy customer of this property. We visited this hotel for 3 nights in July and had a great experience. The staff was extremely attentive and the floor butler even made us her home cough remedy when my wife got sick! The concierge staff was amazing and was very knowledgeable. All in all, a great place to stay. I'd definitely stay here again.

Also want to echo drdub's comment that some taxis don't know about it. The easiest way is to either point them to the Four Seasons or get a taxi card from the concierge. They made a couple extras for us when we were talking about things to do in BKK.

uggboy, Toula, whkento and 2 others like this.
  23. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trip Report please? :p Will you be staying in a standard room or suite? Debating if I want to stay here for a night or two or at the Aloft in March.... Don't have status with SPG so don't expect an upgrade :(

24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our stay is coming up in Late December and I will have an extensive relevant review of this property. Comparing the Aloft to the St. Regis is like having a ham sandwich versus going to a BBQ party :D The rates here are kinda steep (around THB 8K) as in all other St. Regis properties rates ... currently, the Aloft Suk 11 is having a THB 2,100 introductory offer.
    [​IMG]

uggboy, Toula and TRAVELSIG like this.
  25. Putra

Putra Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow.....Beautiful. Indeed price kinda steep but I guess you get what you paid. Really make me think again and again about my planning to Bangkok this December. Should I splurge at bangkok?