The Source

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by jean9nine, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jean9nine
    Original Member

jean9nine Silver Member

Had dinner at Wolfgang Puck's The Source for the first time tonight. Started things off with a Dragon Fire cocktail, and while the mild spice was nice the drink did not hold a candle to the Asian Pear Drop ordered by my friend. I switched over to the Asian Pear for the remainder of the evening. First courses were the Scallop & Shrimp Sui Mai with Shanghai Curry Lobster-Uni Emulsion and the Crystal Garlic Chive Dumplings, King Crab, Kurobuta Pork, Chinese Mustard. The shi mai were delicious, with big, flavorful pieces of shrimp and nice microgreens. The dumplings were also good but were fried and thus heavier. After having two I doubted my ability to finish the upcoming main course. I had the Grilled Lamb Chops, Hunan Eggplant, Pea Tendrils, Chili-Mint Vinaigrette while my dinner companion had the Salmon with Baby Bok Choi, Ginger and Soy Sauce. I am not a fan of salmon but the accompanying vegtables and sauce were delicious. I was less enthusiastic about my lamb, which while well cooked was somewhat fatty and not particularly well seasoned. Maybe I was had overly high expectations as it had come highly recommended by other reviewers, but it was merely good and nothing special. We were both too full for dessert. The meal was pleasant but I wish we had tried the Chinese New Year tasting menu that was ordered at an adjacent table and looked interesting. Service was friendly and prompt. I would return here for happy hour to try other appetizers, but it will probably be a while before I come back for a full dinner since there are so many other places to try.
    MissBurrill and baglady like this.