The snake

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Apr 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    20 years ago, this month, I got a corn snake. She was a cute little thing, I could work with her wrapped around my wrist. Feeding her was a pain, because she'd eat "3 blind mice" but getting her to start eating was difficult. I don't know how many months old she was, but it was in the "months." Fast forward 20 years. 2 passports later, I just realized yesterday when I went to the snake food store to get her some lunch, that it was April 1991 when I brought her home from the store. Figure a mouse every other week on average, and that is a lot of dead mice. (Shedding and egg-laying periods excepted) And the eggs - when that starts, you have no idea what is wrong. She won't eat, she looks hungry - setting mice free - then you take the snake in and they "feel her up" to find "oh, female, bound up with eggs." Now every couple of years, I have to build a nest so she'll find a safe place for her eggs, even though they are infertile, as she's never known the company of a male. Then she'll "incubate" them for about a day or less, then abandon them.

When I see kids in the store with their parents, all excited, I just want to say "You know, your kids are going to be long done with college and you'll still be feeding this snake?" But I keep my mouth shut. 20 years is a long time to be in a cage. She could have another 5 to 15 to go. I can't help but think that captive reptiles aren't a good thing. On the other hand, it is good that people are interested in them. She could outlive my 4 year old dog. I think about "what will I feel like when the snake dies?" I have no idea. It won't be anything tragic, but I'm sure it will be odd. You can't love a snake. (I'd seriously question anyone that did.) However, it is one of my life's most stable relationships. But most of all, thinking about it made me feel old.

2. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh my, on so many levels. Thankfully you are a responsible person. Getting older is only for the very strong.

jbcarioca and sunseeker like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Our love bird is 19 years old. His partner died about 4 years ago, and he was very sick last year- we didn't think he'd make it. But, he's back strong and chipper. His eyesight and balance aren't so good, but he talks to us and gives us joy every day.

I used to babysit a boa constrictor a long time ago, I'd take him out for walks in Chicago... got some interesting reactions. I then took care of another boa for a friend for a few weeks, but that one had no personality, I didn't have any chemistry with him, so my friend took him back. The two boas had completely different characters.

jbcarioca and kwai like this.
  4. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assumed your stable relationship was with tequila... that being your avatar. :D

About 14 years ago I desired to have a dog. A big dog, to go camping and hiking with me when I lived in the Four Corners Region. At the time the place I was moving into didn't allow dogs and there was enough to do that didn't involve fighting the rules, something I tend to do well. Fast forward and i wanted to bail from my job and head overseas. I've never forgotten what a predicament I would have been in should I have gotten that dog years ago.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, it is Pisco, not Tequila. And 14 years ago, I had no idea what Pisco was. I first met that in late 2001.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This thread has now served three useful purposes for me.
    1) I discovered one more oddity about Bay Pisco Shark;
    2) I discovered yet another in the long and unusual list of experiences in the life of Gargoyle;
    3) I discovered that kwai needs to come to the Southern Cone before he gets a job and marries.

Who ever said Off Topic wasn't useful!:D

kwai and MSPeconomist like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    and I was reminded of a friend whom I haven't seen for at least several years who had a pet boa constrictor when he was a graduate student. (I started to write "in graduate school" then "as a graduate student" but unfortunately AFAIK the snake never went to graduate school.)

kwai and jbcarioca like this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    He might have, as a subject for some kind of experiment.

kwai and MSPeconomist like this.
  9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had a pet corn snake when I was in high school. I took it to "show and tell" one day in my speech class. Classmates who were afraid of snakes at the beginning of class were holding the snake by the end of class.

I regularly hear of neighbors around here killing snakes around their home -- even non-poisonous ones. I haven't had much luck trying to convince them to be more accepting of snakes that stray from the woods.