The SMITTYS- Social Media Awards in Travel & Tourism

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by MLW20, Feb 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's awards season right now. Various travel related awards are being voted on. I've received e-mails to vote in the FlyerTalk Awards and e-mails from various hotels to vote for them in the Freddie Awards.

How about awards being given out for most innovative and effective uses of social media in the travel industry?

Travel + Leisure is putting this awards competition together- The SMITTYS.
    I think these awards sound like a great idea and I hope that they will encourage more use of social meda in 2012. Social media has come to play an important role in the travel industry. Many airlines and hotel programs use it for customer support, to advertise sales, promos, specials and to spread the word on other important information.

Read more at http://michaelwtravels.blogspot.com/2012/02/smittys-social-media-in-travel-tourism.html

2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Possibly a good idea. However, being a Smith, I absolutely hate the name "Smitty". The Freddies were named in honor of (or in spite of) Freddie Laker who went by Freddie. Many of the Smiths that I am familiar with do not go by that moniker.

3. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL
    Name aside I think it's a great idea that will hopefully will inspire more frequent flyer/ hotel programs to use social media!