The SMI/J References

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just donned my flame-retardant suit from Costco yesterday, so I'm ready.

What's with all the SMI/J references? I mean, I get who the reference is to, it's Jeff Smisek. Is there some sort of protest going on? As I recall, those screens and system were installed back in the Tilton days. I don't recall anyone over at FT doing any TIL/G references over there.

So, seriously, what's the big deal? It's more stupid than funny. It's not going to change safety videos, it's not going to change the 120 EQS thing. Is it some sort of release for people to "get back" at Smisek? Do people feel better when they type that? It doesn't make any sense to me.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's funny about it is that the gate displays at UA show how the names are constructed:

In their example, they show an animation of how JOHN SMITH will display as SMI/J.

Since SMI/J is the example, and SMI/J also works JEFF SMISEK, I assume that's where the reference is coming from, since we see SMI/J on the screen all the time.

Personally, I prefer using $misek as his name, as it refers to how he's often a cheap$kate.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  3. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a smidge.

Scottrick and amejr999 like this.
  4. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought it was kind of cute - haven't used it, but it only took a sec or so to figure it out.

5. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    You guys really need to grow up. Moan about the things that have changed, not what might change.

misman and Captain Oveur like this.
  6. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where is my :rolleyes: button?

sfogate likes this.
  7. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think if SMI/J because when I fly CO, I spend so much more time staring at the upgrade screens because my upgrade doesn't clear. On UA, my upgrade clears and I relax in the RCC instead of hovering around the screen. Although I suppose the screen also shows you when the upgrade is hopeless and you should go back to the club.

8. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think whomever posted SMI/J originally has a fun sense of humor and don't see "SMI/J" as a negative. I think $MI/J is a bit of a swipe, but not oveur the top, Roger.

9. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    But CO doesn't really have upgrade screens. Except for the few gates in IAH they've been "testing" for years.

10. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, we went one better: the pda site.

11. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nearly every airline has a PDA site.

The only U.S. carriers without substantial deployment of GDIS displays are US and CO.

12. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    sfogate wins. I'm all AA now but I'd take the PDA site over GDIS anyday.

13. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    But as far as I know - UA's PDA site does NOT show upgrade list or those who've cleared it.

CO also has a awesome iPhone app that offers the same -- I don't think UA's mobile services can touch CO's which means hopefully they adopt those going forward. I've actually booked tickets on it.

As I recall UA's doest yet offer that capability. There's no doubt there will be improvements there as the merger continues.

That said they do have the upgrade screens at least at one EWR gate as well.

It basically stalled once the merger went through (it was I think last year they put it up in one gate at EWR), so there's no doubt that with the merger they'll continue it at some point.

14. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Remember the upgrade list that CO displays is also different from what EUA uses. There are very common scenarios where you can be #1 on the list and #2 trumps you with EUA because of the different priorities that CO uses for airport vs. EUA priorities.

So in reality, the list that CO shows is only accurate at the gate at the 11th hour anyway, much the same time when the GDIS would be available.

For advance upgrades, it's really only good for giving you a rough idea (e.g., if you're #14 for 2 seats, forget it).

As for the UA GDIS, the scenario you describe is quite normal. 3 seats left in F means 3 seats not checked in. So if they're underbooked by 2 in F, they could process #1 and #2 before the cutoff, which brings you up to #1. But they still have to wait until 30 minutes out to drop those not checked it or maybe even later to drop misconnects.

15. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the merger stalled it -- CO has been "testing" the GDIS displays for years.

I don't know what it is, but I like the displays and all the data flashing at me. I like it on UA and on DL. When I fly CO or US, I feel like I'm in withdrawal -- the gate area feels so low tech. :D

16. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like it too, I'm sure that as part of the merger they'll get that done.

17. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I win. [​IMG]

jupper and SpecialK like this.
  18. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:

Rah! Rah! You're the best!

sfogate likes this.
  19. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I use it, but I guess Hannaman is more observant that I.

20. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will agree that CO has a much better PDA site than UA. However, it is still annoying that I have to visit three different pages for upgrades, flight status, standbys, etc. I'm imagine they could consolidate these lists into one page that takes less time for me to visit on my tiny iPhone display.

21. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO likes lots of screens -- it's just like the website when buying a ticket. You have to enter credit card on one screen, billing address on another, traveller details on another, etc. It's all about a consistent experience. :)

22. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    For people on cellular networks (not WiFi) the smaller chunks of data make pages load faster.

23. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So, what has he done to United Airlines to warrant being viewed as a "cheap$kate?"

Xyzzy likes this.
  24. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I get that. But the references come over in a different tone to me here and FT.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  25. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's better than not having anything at all. I use continentaldot com instead of the pda site when I'm checking my status.