The SFO Parking Thread

Discussion in 'SFO/OAK/SMF/SJC | San Francisco Area Airports' started by tom911, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please contribute to this thread by posting current pricing information at your favorite parking venue.

BURLINGAME AIRPORT PARKING (BAP)- lot adjoins Hilton and is across from Anza Parking with shuttles departing every 20 minutes except 1am-4am when they are on call

February, 2011- $6 a day (my last stay February 4)
    March, 2011-$8 a day
    http://www.parkbap.com/

2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quik Park SFO at the Clarion hotel is also good. $7.70 a/i (ignore the "$10/day (plus tax) Internet rate" on the home page) . My next stay is tomorrow (2/9) followed by 2/12. You also get a "sticker" for each paid day where 3 stickers = 1 free day, 6 stickers = 3 free days & 12 stickers = 1 free week. Shared hotel shuttle for both the Clarion and the Westin. Runs every 20 minutes 4am-midnight and between midnight and 4am, you call the hotel from the dedicated phone at shuttle stop for a pick up.

http://www.quikparksfo.com/

3. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Goalie does the Clarion have a pay machine in the parking lot where you can pay with a credit like like BAP. Also how full does the parking lot get?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1 for Burlingame Airport Parking. But I do find that their shuttles are a bit slower than others. Has anyone ever tried boarding the Anza Parking shuttle and then walked across the street to the Hilton?

I always think about doing this when I see 3 Anza Parking shuttles pass by before boarding the Hilton shuttle, but never actually tried.

jbcarioca and karung99 like this.
  5. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have thought of getting on the Anza shuttle also, but have chickened out every time.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at ParkSFO yesterday on a less-than-one-day mileage run and paid just short of $13 with tax. I can't bring myself to drive all the way down to BAP for the one day trips any longer and will pay the premium for ParkSFO. Need at least a 2 day stay for BAP (will have one of those again this weekend). Between the additional drive time down there and the longer shuttle ride I was spending an extra hour to/from there.

karung99 likes this.
  7. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know many people prefer the least expensive parking, but I value convenience on a much higher level. You can park at the SFO International Terminal for $20/day. Whether I'm coming back after a several day trip or a MR turn, the $20 a day rate and 3 minutes to my car to head home is well worth the premium. Last night I was opening the front door to my house 25 minutes after I landed.

8. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think its every 30 minutes for BAP. I did see the ANZA shuttle twice while waiting for the BAP today. As a result, I had to pay for a third day for 21 minutes time. I waited about 30 minutes. Good thing it's only $6 a day. We went to the International terminal after I got picked up so it does take awhile sometimes.

jbcarioca and karung99 like this.
  9. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With BAP, you can also pay at the Hilton front desk and they will give you ticket to exit. In your case, since you were only off by a few minutes, if you went to the front desk, told them about late shuttle, and they might not have charged you the extra day.

10. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that employee shuttle is finished is there another way to avoid the Bart surcharge?

karung99 likes this.
  11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They gave me a printed schedule a few weeks ago and it shows departures from their lot on the hour and and 20 and 40 past the hour. Seems pretty reliable from my last few stays.

karung99 and weinskkb like this.
  12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never park "south" unless I'm staying at a "south" hotel on a park/fly rate. I either use Park'n'Fly or ParkSFO. Between the PNF's accrual for free days (not great, but ok enough) and SFO's coupons, it is "good enough" for me, and not worth the time to go "south" even to save a few $.

karung99 likes this.
  13. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about a credit card machine but I'll check tomorrow (2/23) as there is a person in the booth so I'll ask but what you do to get the $7.70/current internet rate is to pre-pay on line using your credit card, bring a copy of the recpt (either a screen print or the email confirmation), grab you ticket as you enter and present both when you leave. If it's your first time, you need to ask for a "frequent parking card" and they will "stamp" your first stay-then on subsequent stays, you give the card along with your ticket and recpt and stamped. As to how full the lot gets, I've never been denied a space with a pre-paid reservation and I have parked on holiday weekends where the lot was "full" with a sign at the entrance but you just grab a ticket and go in. Now granted I arrive at the ungodly hour of 3:45 to catch the first shuttle at 4am but I don't foresee that you would have a problem

Also, a note about the shuttle...it runs every 20 minutes from 4am to midnight and then after that, you call the hotel from the dedicated phone using the code for the Clarion at the shuttle stop along the center island where the longest I waited was 15 minutes as I had just missed the shuttle

karung99, tom911 and weinskkb like this.
  14. calwatch
    Original Member

calwatch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Coming from Caltrain on the south you would transfer to the KX at Hillsdale or the 292 at Burlingame. From the north you could try to board the KX in San Francisco (the "luggage" restriction is irregularly enforced, but I would not bring anything more than a carryon).

karung99 and the_happiness_store like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you board the Anza shuttle, the driver will ask you for that little (yellow?) slip with your space number on it. Better be prepared with an answer for that.

karung99 and RichardInSF like this.
  16. Open Fly
    Original Member

Open Fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    From experience of staying at the Hilton and Doubletree a few times, the idea of having to drive down there for the sake of parking is not very appealing to me.

karung99 likes this.
  17. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me it comes down to cost. BAP is $7 a day right now while ParkSFO is $11.95 (both plus tax, and being in different cities they have different parking tax rates with BAP being lower). I'll pay the extra for a single day. Stay for 10 days and that's over $50 more. I'll trek down to BAP to save $50. I just did a 7 day trip to Rome and used a 50% off ParkSFO coupon that a MPer had given me. Only a couple dollars in savings in the end but saved me the drive south.

18. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is also a sign in each Anza shuttle saying that it is for Anza customers only. I'm guessing it wouldn't work in either direction.

karung99 likes this.
  19. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BAP is $8 day right now.

20. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks - the link to their website listed a higher rate but when I looked at making a reservation it did show $8

karung99 likes this.
  21. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Their scrolling video sign at the front entrance says $9, but the big yellow banner they have up says $8 a day or $50 a week. I remember one of the drivers telling me last year that January is a horrible month for business. There were plenty of spaces open in the lot today.

karung99 likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, as of Jan 10, the rate is now $24. I used the same rationale as you to justify the extra cost, especially when coming home late at night or very early in the morning (eg 4:50am on Monday from HNL), but I think $24 is exceeding my pain threshold for anything but day trips. That's about the one-way rate for a cab for me.

karung99 likes this.
  23. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch. I agree with you there. Thanks for the update.

karung99 likes this.
  24. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that BAP will charge a FULL EXTRA DAY with no grace period even tho their email confirm states a 3 hour grace period! If you go to the hotel lobby and complain they may fix it.

25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And as of June 15, it's increasing to $28 !!

http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/parking/options/daily/

$8 or 40% price increase in half a year. Not going to use it anymore.