The Return of the MP Seat Upgrade Notification Service?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Mar 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    After an abrupt stop toward the end of PMUA, the seat upgrade notification service appears to have been revived, and this is a pleasant surprise!

redwoman, IDGflygirl, avflyer and 5 others like this.
  2. bucketlist
    Original Member

bucketlist Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree, it's a welcome change - got one a week ago for msy-iah.
    Then got an upgrade, about 2 days before departure, for the iah-ewr leg, but no email notice, probably because i had to tweak the system and call an agent, so it wasn't an automatic upgrade.
    now if we could only tell that we were on the waitlist...

3. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm getting these again too.

Much better than the first few days after integration when all notifications had been activated as phone calls to my cell without any "quiet hours" :eek:

That made for a couple of exciting days/nights until I figure out what was up and went back to change all my settings.

redwoman and desamo like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "waitlist update" message says that the upgrade has cleared...

desamo likes this.
  5. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I havent started getting these new ones yet.. Flew yesterday,March 13 also.. it used to be so clear, easy to read, figure out, it worked well- Hopefu;lly it will again soon.

redwoman likes this.
  6. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dear Texan, what did the phone calls change to? Email or text? I changed my settings to go to my primary phone, and indicated it as "mobile" in the hope that I would get texts. On Flyertalk people are reporting that they are not receiving texts, though.

7. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got my e-mail early this morning for clearing an RPU for NYC to SEA this weekend. :star:

8. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    well hopefully atht will start working agin for
    Hopefully this will start reworking for me on April 8. Did not get these March 13 or 19 on 4 flights..

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got another one today for clearing an upgrade on an inbound p.s. in May. So, it seems to be working just fine. Just make sure that your account preferences are set to receive such messages...

I got a departure reminder message today by email, and at the same time I received the following text message on my phone:
    "To receive United Airlines MileagePlus SMS to this device, please reply YES to this message."

After I responded YES, I got:
    "United Alerts. Thank you for enrolling in United messaging. Text HELP for help."

So, I suspect that one would have to enroll to receive text messages, but it seems that they initiate the enrollment when they text a registered device for the first time...

10. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    yes it now seems emails got un-registered when they merged ??? so I went on & re"enrolled"
    more weirdness.

11. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Momma Flyer got a UDU yesterday...her notifications come to me, and we were not notified.

12. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I cleared an RPU on p.s. and didn't get a notification. I re-registered after the merger.

13. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't really use text, so I turned some off entirely that I don't find useful (flight arrival, departure, gate change) and switched the rest to e-mail only.

14. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received my first UDU notification in a while just the :)ther day. It was for an award ticket booked into XN.

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This seems like hit-and-miss at the moment. I have now cleared 2 p.s. on GPUs and got notified when each cleared (first time was when I started this thread), and I just returned from MEX, doing LGA-IAH-MEX roundtrip and requesting upgrades with RPUs both ways; I got notified when each of the 4 segments cleared. That seems to be working just fine...

My only concern now is that the posting of miles seems to be proceeding according to PMCO rather than according to PMUA, which the latter, with all of its faults, did extremely well...

P.S. I did not even re-register before I started to get these notices again...

16. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither did I. :)

17. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Faith-based mileage posting? :)

karenkay and NYCUA1K like this.
  18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly...that is what worries me:cool:

19. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Curiously, I received the following notification this morning...

However, the segment in question cleared to R, and the second segment has yet to clear. Although I am listed with a check mark on the flight to IAD, I am not on the mobile waitlist on the connecting flight...

Just a bug or should I call in?

20. stephenbgarvan

Status Points:
    CAll IN

goalie likes this.
  21. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good thing I did... They did wipe out the overwater upgrade request. On the other hand, I can now purchase a ToD to GlobalFirst for $4419!

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This morning, I got this message:
    This means that both my outbound and inbound segments on p.s. for my upcoming JFK-SFO-PEK trip have been upgraded. When I went to select a seat for the segment that just cleared, I found a message to the effect that my reservation had changed and I needed to contact United to have the ticket re-issued. I called and the only change was that my upgrade had cleared! This had happened before, so I asked the CSR whether they were not unnecessarily increasing their phone call load by requiring passengers to call simply because an upgrade had cleared, when there was no other change in the reservation. I also added that this was not necessary in the past. She said it was the new policy, which, IME, does not make sense at all, especially when folks have been complaining about delays in getting their queries addressed, being put on hold for way too long or simply not being able to reach CS.

Anyway, my main concern now is that it looks like my upgrade for the long-haul segment of this trip going out (SFO-PEK) is not going to clear. The link to fare class shows:

Available Cabins: Y9, YN9, B9, M9

and that is it, although the seat map still shows 1 F seat and 5 C seats open. With the trip happening at the end of next week, I do not like my chances, which will be the first time this year that I fail to clear a GPU. The bright side is that I might get the GPU back, but the down side is that this is a 12-hr segment!

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  23. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I haven't gotten ANY of these in months, even when upgrades clear. Online, I can't even find where one makes sure they are setup. historically, under the easyupdate tab, one could see the setup and see the alerts which were apparently sent. Nowhere to be found today.

24. gottagoflying

gottagoflying Active Member

Status Points:
    I haven't gotten any notices... I guess because I haven't gotten many upgrades lately.

Zero upgrades on my last 9 flights and currently 7th on the list as I wait in ORD for my flight to IAD. On PMUA and as a 1K, I never missed this many upgrades on government Y fares. Yet on nearly every flight, I'm almost always offered a TOD upgrade.

25. BuckleandBoots

BuckleandBoots Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've inconsistently gotten emails, but I've had better luck watching my Rez.

Also, if CPUs aren't clearing like they should, I've had tickets where my MP# wasn't linked just right to the Rez.