The return of skyclub food

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by AMPfromBNA, Aug 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Departing LAX last night, I heard the staff talking about food. Turns out the food in the skyclub is set to return starting today.

Landing in ATL this morning I was pleased to find cereal, fresh fruit, and hard boiled eggs. Nothing amazing but certainly an upgrade.

From what I could tell/overhear, the soups will be back. Popcorn too, but sadly not Garrett's.

2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting AMPfromBNA!

Why are the US-based airline lounges an embarrassment when compared to many of the lounges for foreign carriers? Lufthansa has my vote for setting up their lounges in all major US airports!

uggboy likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Food might be a bit of a stretch. They're adding soup back to the menu. This is hardly cause to cancel dinner plans and race to the airport.

Yes, it is an upgrade and it is nice to see a bit of effort/investment there. But let's not pretend this is some amazing change which will suddenly make travel more than the stressful, hurry-up-and-wait experience it often is.

Newscience likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure no one was claiming fine dining was coming to the sky clubs...just something more substantial and healthy than the current options for the times you might need/want to grab a quick bite.

uggboy likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which bits are more healthy?

Or really more substantial as "a quick bite" really? The nutritional information charts for the few items they had didn't look all that great to me. And a cup o soup is nice but really not the deciding factor in planning a trip or even choosing to buy a lounge membership/CC annual fee. At least it shouldn't be for most rational folks.

6. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Food for breakfast at SFO lounge this morning was very nice - even had oatmeal.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt (although they went with a fake one). Some of the cereals if you're into that.

Soups can be unless sodium is a big issue, salads have good potential

They certainly beat out snack mix and cookies...

A cup of soup, a couple of hard boiled eggs, an apple or 2, some salad...we're not talking a meal of course but better than snack mix and gives a few healthy to healthy-ish quasi-substantial options (and yes I am mixing different times of day when listing these examples). If you missed a meal or 2 and have a 50 minute connection with just a few minutes to grab a snack...that can be a welcome boost over the previous offerings.
    I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that "appreciating a few improvements" equates to "the lounge is now a destination - get in the car and book a ticket we're dining at the airport tonight!"

It's a modest improvement to differentiate with service, which pairs with some differentiated service in the air as well. I'd rather see service levels improving than dropping.

Who's pretending? the only person who mentioned the food prior to your post explicitly stated that this was not an amazing change.

The only person pretending here is you. Have fun beating your straw man at his fine dining establishment.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe my experiences have been different, but there was fresh fruit and cereals previously at the lounges I visited. Salad and veggie sticks have some potential, I suppose, but none of it sums up to what I'd typically consider

If I missed a meal and have a 50 minute connection I'll be going to get some actual food from a vendor in the terminal, not foraging in a lounge which isn't actually serving meals. Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't see free kibble as a replacement for actual food when I need it.
    Agreed though I'd probably say marginal, not modest.

9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    What lounges have you been visiting? Sky Clubs have had the veggie sticks for years...salad is new though. Cereals seem to be expanded, but the eggs are new.
    Honestly I'd get better value out of returning to the previous liquor standard...but to me it sounds like you're commenting about improvements of a product you don't actually use, especially when saying something has "potential" that has been around for years.

And as far as airport food vendors - the standard and availability of healthy options is frequently pretty terrible. In a lot of cases I prefer something like a quick cup of soup, some veggies, an apple, etc. over most of the options. I don't know if my standards are higher, but in a lot of cases the terminal options just don't do it, and if they do they take long enough (or are positioned inconveniently enough) to not always be an option.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    SkyClubs, mostly in NYC, ATL and SEA this year. I know the veggie sticks have been around; I meant potential for being healthy. And I've rarely had trouble finding a piece of fruit at one of the vendors in the airports I've transited lately.

I agree that this is an improvement. I just don't see it as much of one.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    In today's air travel environment we have to celebrate the small improvements. And it is only fair since we also bash the airlines for the small "enhancements".

AMPfromBNA and Newscience like this.
  12. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beats the heck out of the "Towers of Carbohydrate Power".

Except for breakfast, UA's food offerings are lame, to say the least. However, I have seen hot oatmeal for breakfast in some of the UCs so even UA has had some upgrades in their food offerings.
    I never thought that DL was all that great. US in CLT has them all beat in my opinion.

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  13. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the tomato vegetable soup today. It was quite good. They do have cookies (chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin), but also salads and fresh fruit. In MKE SC today Bailey's is now a complimentary beverage.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SLC had Italian wedding soup Friday.

15. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've been seeing the oatmeal for at least a year- I've had it at ORD, MSP, LGA, maybe a couple of others. Also yogurt (although at ORD they keep it hidden in a mini fridge under the food island).

However, if you want real food you need to go to CDG or NRT...

Flyer1976 likes this.
  16. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the improvements are nice. I sampled a couple of new items at the DCA club Sunday night. While I'll never hit the lounge for food when I want a real meal, if I'm going to a lounge between flights anyway, and I just want a small snack, having a larger selection of options to choose from isn't a bad thing at all. And while this spread is far from special, it is better than it was, and it's better than what I've seen at the competition (including the US CLT lounge mentioned above), so I'll take it. More choice is generally a good thing. But, it also won't make me hit the lounge when what I want is lunch or dinner. That will still happen at a restaurant serving actual meals.

17. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that the cookies are an "enhancement" (at least for DTW).

I just had the wedding soup and recommend it!!

dgreen12, WilliamQ and Flyer1976 like this.
  18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the name of the soup if not the taste. It's Friday!

19. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the change. My typical breakfast at home is a couple of scrambled eggs with some kimchi or sauerkraut. Can't quite get the fermented vegetables at the skyclub, but a couple of hard boiled eggs sure do hit the spot.

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  20. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Scoop the contents of one of the Rondele cheese spreads into a cup of the wedding soup and stir, makes the soup even better.

21. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I liked the food at the Sky Club in SFO..good variety of food and yummy crackers..

22. AMPfromBNA

AMPfromBNA Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I eat my morning "Classic Eats" by Luvo onboard my flight to SLC - including a pathetic excuse for a bagel, a quarter ounce of cream cheese, and overprocessed meats\cheese - I can't help but wonder if the SkyClub food has actually surpassed airplane food. I suppose that is a good thing.

23. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    certainly a good thing, and SkyClub food sounds much better than your "Classic Eats";)

24. WatchTimes

WatchTimes New Member

Status Points:
    Delta is stepping up their offerings due to the Amex lounges. I was in the Amex Centurion in Las Vegas yesterday and while it isn't comparable to some of the lounges of Middle East and Asian airlines it's a move in the right direction!

25. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Resume flying in October.
    Will use the opportunity to check out the offerings at NRT, ATL, MSP and JFK.

Flyer1976 likes this.