The return of Daily Getaways

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by viguera, Feb 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know some of us made out like crazy with some of the points for sale... while most of us just clicked furiously trying to refresh the site so we could buy anything at all.

Regardless, Daily Getaways will be back soon... at least according to their email.

Select offers will be available for preview on 3/16, with the first batch being available officially a week later as always, on 3/23.

Of course, someone will probably dig out the offers early and we will all start planning soon enough.

Here's to hoping they've actually upgraded their infrastructure this time, after several bad experiences... :)

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah i got one deal like 2 years ago; 0 since

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Life is short. Never tried after reading "clicked a million times" stories.

daninstl and viguera like this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    mrredskin likes this.
  5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    deals will be worse, again, and pimped out by every blogger. won't be worth the hassle

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    $50 Alamo certificates for $25 is not bad, considering that $50 Alamo rentals can net you $17-24 worth of points on WN WGA fares. ;)

Mikus33 likes this.
  7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those Hyatt points are going to be a bear.

I can already see my refresh key being broken. :)

Kalboz and Mikus33 like this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is that time of the year once again when the US Travel Association makes its Daily Gateways offers. Offers will go live starting next week (March 23 - 27) and this is early enough for summer travel planning. The only difference this year is that I don't see the verbiage of 10% discount when using AMEX cards listed in the offers (sneak preview went online March 16). Maybe I missed it somehow or maybe it will be there when offers go live. Here is a breakdown of the first 3 weeks as listed by the preview which pretty much look like last year's offers:

Week one: March 23 - 27

- Alamo: Not much value there as you get $50 certificates for $25 each but you have to call a special 800 number to redeem. I am not sure that you can stack any other offers on top of this one.
    - IHG Rewards Club Points: can usually get for 0.7 cents/point and the best offer here is for 0.565 cents/point when buying 100K points ($135 discount). Good deal and plenty packages available for all to get some.
    - Club Carlson Gold Points: Offered at a rate of 0.45 cents per point with only 150 packages available. Good deal if you have the Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa Signature Card with the second night of every award redemption is free. I am sitting on over 350K of these points and their hotel quality has been a meh, so I am not buying this one.
    - Diamond Resorts: 5 Night Stay at a Diamond Property Worldwide
    - Hilton HHonors Points: Offered at value, at a rate of 0.5 cents per point with 560 available packages for sale. Good for topping off for a planned aspirational award, otherwise not worth it and I am not partaking.
    [​IMG]

Week Two: March 30 - April 3

- Best Western Rewards Points: With no more than 5 sets of points purchased through this offer are allowed per account and very small increments of points (10K) per package making this a weak offer. Not buying!
    - Las Vegas Palazzo & Venetian offers
    - Caesars: For Vegas and Atlantic City locations.
    - Universal Studios Hollywood: Four (4) 2-Day admission tickets to Universal Studios Hollywood in California.at around 28% discount off retail prices.
    - Choice Privileges Points: Several points packages for various brands (Cambria Suites, Comfort Suites, and Sleep Inn). Points selling for 0.4-0.45 cents each. Choice points can be converted to airline miles at a 5,000:1,000 ratio. Which means you can purchase airline miles through this promotion for 2.0 cents each.
    [​IMG]

Week Three: April 6 - 10

AVIS: $30 Avis car rental & $1115 Chairman Club membership for big spenders!
    Omni Hotels & Resorts: Various hotel stay packages - see below
    Loews Hotels & Resorts: Various hotel stay packages - see below
    MGM Vegas Resorts: More Vegas packages to hotels like Mandalay Bay, Mirage, etc. courtesy of MGM Resorts.
    Hyatt Gold Passport Points: Various packages for Hyatt Gold Passport Points at a rate of 1.0-1.1 cents per point (~35% value discount). The availability is so limited on this offer, getting one of these packages will be like winning the lotto.
    [​IMG]

What would you like to buy this year? Share your thoughts & comments below! :)

The above graphs are courtesy of @Pizzaman blog here: http://pizzainmotion.boardingarea.com/2015/03/14/daily-getaways-offers-are-out-starts-in-1-week/

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience and uggboy like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That one has the links to the actual offers as well. Why bifurcate the discussion into multiple places? What value does that add to the conversation??

I have no intention to buy any of them. Never have. The value proposition is not there IMO. Only Hyatt is remotely close and the very limited number of packages available suggests it will not be worth my time to try.

13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bifurcate? Had to look this word up! ... hardly the intention! Wasn't aware of such rules here on MilePoint!

Admin/Guides are free to combine these threads if that will enhance the conversation and members contribution.

Thanks for your input @Wandering Aramean

Sweet Willie, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't see it as a rules issue so much as helping keep a conversation focused. If I know there's already one happening I try to contribute there rather than start a new discussion elsewhere. More threads on the same topic is less good for the community than a more focused conversation in one thread IMO.

15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough ... I requested that MP combine the two threads - thanks!

16. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this, Kal! Just one comment, as I've heard others on Milepoint mention that the hotels available through Carlson aren't the best. The Radisson Blu hotels in Europe, available for rewards stay Club Carlson points, are perfectly fine, in my experience. If you're ever headed to/through Europe, you may want to consider using those Club Carlson points for a stay at a Radisson Blu hotel, and saving your other hotel rewards stays for another location. ;)

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I said above, I have 352K Club Carlson points and there are only 150 packages available which won't be worth it time-wise to try to score these points.
    We have stayed at their San Diego property: https://milepoint.com/forums/threads/country-inn-suites-by-carlson-san-diego.97750/

And visited their Bangkok Radisson Blu (not a stay): https://milepoint.com/forums/threads/radisson-blu-plaza-bangkok-master-thread.86758/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    uggboy likes this.
  18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    There are some diamonds among the rough this year, though the death of the 10% discount from paying with an AMEX card will subsequently kill some offers. I've taken advantage of discounted theme park tickets a few times and it's worked out great. The Vegas packages are really good values if you enjoy traveling that way and can maximize the package.

Kalboz and viguera like this.
  19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, the 10% AMEX discount is dead, which means some of these offers will likely fall out of the "good value" category.

IDGflygirl, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good way to meet your minimum spending requirements though without having to worry about missing out on the 10% AMEX discount ... well unless your minimum spending is with an AMEX card! ;)

uggboy likes this.
  21. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is 100% wrong. If you want to redeem multiple certificates at the same time, you need to call, but if you merely want to redeem one certificate, you can apply it as a coupon code on the Alamo website during booking.

The certificates DO stack with things like Southwest point bonuses and Alamo Insider discounts. A two day rental with Alamo will sometimes be under or around $50, and get you back around $19 in WN points when used as WGA fares. In essence, for $25 you get a two day car rental (or $50 off a car) and almost $20 in WN WGA fares (more if you rent for longer times)... and these certificates have NEVER sold out in minutes like some of the hotel deals do. I've bought them every year they've been available. It helps that Alamo usually has good rates where I rent, and I don't really care much about the Hertz/National/Avis benefits if I am getting a good deal. ;)

Kalboz likes this.
  22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wrong? Maybe it's right for you but not for me ;)

I have personally done this years ago - bought 3 certs for $75 and the savings after redemption came out to only around $20 - not worth the hassle, IMO.
    [​IMG]

23. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It says in your picture "when booking online please input the unique Coupon Code" and "only one (1) certificate per reservation is permitted online". Which is what I said, and contradicts what you said: "you have to call a special 800 number to redeem". No, you don't. Only true if you use multiple coupons at once. If you use one at a time to knock off $50 from rentals, you're good.

Also, you don't have to use the listed contract ID. I use the WN contract ID that gives extra WN points.

24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Needed the car for a cross California trip and we had to call - but most importantly the savings were not there. Better values can be had in other simpler ways without having to deal with this ... still not buying!

uggboy likes this.
  25. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For you, perhaps. I've found the Alamo certificates to be valuable over the years, very easy to use (not requiring any phone calls), and generally cut Alamo's already competitive rates in cities I frequently rent Alamo in (SEA/LAX/PHX/LAS/SJC/SFO/EWR) to very good levels (I've gotten two day rentals for <$10 when counting the WN WGA point kickback), and I don't have to compete with a horde of piranhas clicking the Daily Getwaways site for Hilton/Hyatt points, because plenty of people are like you and see no value in them. :)

I bought IHG last year, I might again, though the value proposition can be a bit iffy for what I'd want to use them for (a stay in Hong Kong at year's end). The point value doesn't seem all that great (most of the hotels seem to pencil out at about .6-.7 cpp).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    Kalboz likes this.