The Rental Car Frequent Renter Loyalty Program Comparison Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Canarsie, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:

This thread is designed to be the definitive thread to compare car rental frequent renter loyalty programs to give those milepoint.com members the information needed to make an informed decision about which program is best.​

For example, I currently prefer the National Car Rental Emerald Club frequent renter loyalty program because I enjoy being able to choose any car I like in the Emerald Aisle without having to wait at the counter. I simply drive up to the exit and my paperwork is completed right then and there in fewer than five minutes. Plus, I can earn points for complimentary car rental days which I can apply towards future car rentals. There is also the option to instead earn airline miles, but then one gets assessed with a nominal fee to pay for that.​

Please ensure that your information is as concise and as easy to read as possible so that it will not be as difficult for fellow milepoint.com members to decide.​

Thank you in advance.​

OceanBreezes likes this.
  2. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like National, too; for the choice factor. However, a certain number of travellers seem to find the Emerald Club confusing. For the harried business traveller it is possible to prefer the more traditional Hertz or Avis.[​IMG]

3. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    I like Hertz because they have local offices (HLE). We saved alot of $$ (almost $100 for a 2 day weekend rental) renting 1 mile from SEA instead of the airport. They even paid for the cab from the airport to their location. [​IMG] I do alot of local rentals since I don't have to pay as many taxes. In CA, I usually pay just sales tax at the HLE's.

I do like National because I can pick out a car out of a collection instead of being assigned one.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    One suggestion for those trying to maximize car rental loyalty. Post the location(s) you anticipate renting most often from.
    The community can tell your their experience at those locations to help guide your loyalty.
    Example: ORD - Avis may be run well at this location, but Hertz may be a bunch of misfits. The opposite may be true at IAD.
    Some rental locations pull 'So sorry we do not have any upgrade cars available for you", yet the same company at another location may be solid on upgrades and amenities. Location, Location, Location.

5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once upon a time, there were local offices(downtown) where you could save a good bit in Atlanta. But then somebody said, "Hey, they are taking the train from the airport to their hotels downtown, and then renting our cars cheaper." So nowadays you really have to check to see if it really is cheaper to rent away from our airport(ATL).[​IMG]

6. Been using National Emerald Executive for the last year, mostly at ORD. Always reserve mid-size and usually drive luxury, SUV, whatever I want in the Emerald executive aisle. Easy, easy and cheap with my corp. rate. Gave up Hertz for now, at least at ORD!

7. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's a good car program for getting airline or hotel points?

8. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    For starters, you can earn Hyatt Gold Passport points with Avis.

I believe this avoids the frequent flier surcharge that one would incur if earning airline miles with a car rental.

I will let others discuss more intricately about which car rental program is best for earning miles in specific airline frequent flier programs, although one can earn airline miles with car rentals from many rental car companies.

9. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hertz has nicer cars and slightly lower prices in my travels but the value of the National free days (including oneways) tilts the scales in their favor.

kayet likes this.
  10. mzldc

mzldc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hertz